Options

Top Gear

Comments

• Options
    Keith_13Keith_13 Posts: 1,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Guess the Summer series will be cancelled, with a new series being sometime next year giving BBC time to find replacement presenter(s).

I didn't expect a summer series this year, rather than 6 episodes it had ran for 12 (13 with the best of to follow).
  • Options
    duckymallardduckymallard Posts: 13,936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MorganaNK wrote: »

Was he given a final warning before this incident?

Furthermore, the "victim" wasn't a member of BBC staff. Failing to act on this incident may well have ended up with the BBC in bother with the Union concerned, i.e. failing to provide a safe working environment etc.
  • Options
    rdanvillerdanville Posts: 66
    Forum Member
    Top gear is finished. Looking forward to the new show of Clarkson, Hammond and May.

The BBC are fools.
  • Options
    JamieHTJamieHT Posts: 12,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rdanville wrote: »
    Top gear is finished. Looking forward to the new show of Clarkson, Hammond and May.

The BBC are fools.

If a fool is someone who protects someone who works for them from abuse, then I wish there were more fools in the world.
  • Options
    PaacePaace Posts: 14,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JamieHT wrote: »
    If a fool is someone who protects someone who works for them from abuse, then I wish there were more fools in the world.

Yes indeed, his appalling behaviour would not be tolerated in any organisation . The foul mouth, insulting slob should have been fired long ago .
  • Options
    Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seeing Clarkson riding his bike on the news tonight made me laugh because he doesn't know the law of the road for bike users regards lights. He had one of those flashing red rear light going at the back in the dark. But on their own they are technically illegal and you should have a constant red light alongside it or simply on its own. I have a rear light that can flash or stay constant and never use it with flash anytime.

On yer bike was a good euphemism tonight for him I must admit. Probably did it on purpose.
  • Options
    David WaineDavid Waine Posts: 3,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There can be no question that Top Gear became the massively successful programme that it is because of Jeremy Clarkson. With him gone, the heart will have been ripped out of it - and the fault is entirely his. His talent is huge, but so is his ego, and this is what has let him down. Although I will always admire him for what he achieved, were I ever to meet him in person, I doubt very much whether I would find him likeable. From what I have noticed, he seems to have fallen into the trap of thinking his fame raised him above accepted professional standards and the Law. It doesn't.
  • Options
    tivtiv Posts: 2,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't know if it means anything for the future of Top Gear but on Twitter James May currently describes himself as "Former TV presenter only remembered for saying 'Oh cock'. Or was that the other bloke?"
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    Seeing Clarkson riding his bike on the news tonight made me laugh because he doesn't know the law of the road for bike users regards lights.

Neither does most of the population it seems, at least he had a light. It's quite common to see people riding without lights at all!
  • Options
    henry_hopehenry_hope Posts: 761
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Clarkson had to go. His "teenage" behaviour was escalating, year on year, and he was beginning to look the worst for wear. He was like a child testing the boundaries.....and now he has to grow up and take responsibility for his own behaviour....like every other adult in the real world.
  • Options
    StrakerStraker Posts: 79,653
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tiv wrote: »
    Don't know if it means anything for the future of Top Gear but on Twitter James May currently describes himself as "Former TV presenter only remembered for saying 'Oh cock'. Or was that the other bloke?"

Changed yesterday so old news really at the pace this story is moving. The statement that is most illustrative is:
    As to the future of Top Gear, it existed before its current format and will no doubt continue to do so. James' involvement in that future requires much thought, deliberation and conversation between many people..

Not ruling anything out is he.....?
  • Options
    Hank SchraderHank Schrader Posts: 1,438
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rdanville wrote: »

The BBC are fools.

No, it's you that is the fool. Anybody who condones violence in the workplace just so they can continue to watch a show that they enjoy is a fool.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Straker wrote: »
    Changed yesterday so old news really at the pace this story is moving.

Yes well I'm old and slow myself. : (
  • Options
    martinemj44martinemj44 Posts: 22
    Forum Member
    I am no fan of the bbc and there pc agenda but I dont think there was any other option.
    .. dont get me wrong I like top gear and clarkson , the shows had got tired and not sure how much longer it would have run in its present form anyway .??
  • Options
    FaustFaust Posts: 8,985
    Forum Member
    henry_hope wrote: »
    Clarkson had to go. His "teenage" behaviour was escalating, year on year, and he was beginning to look the worst for wear. He was like a child testing the boundaries.....and now he has to grow up and take responsibility for his own behaviour....like every other adult in the real world.

With his millions I don't think he needs to give two hoots do you? Good look to him I say, he's well rid of the PC mad idiots who are running the BBC. Cohen and Co represent all that's bad with the UK, IMHO.
  • Options
    FaustFaust Posts: 8,985
    Forum Member
    No, it's you that is the fool. Anybody who condones violence in the workplace just so they can continue to watch a show that they enjoy is a fool.

But was it? My reading of this incident is that they had knocked off for the day and a row ensued (not in work time) but in a hotel room.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if it turns out Clarkson has a case against the BBC.
  • Options
    grahamzxygrahamzxy Posts: 11,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hammond, May & Clarkson think it is 1995 - with the whole laddish culture. I wonder what would have been the reaction if Clarkson had thumped and verbally abused the diminuitive Richard Hammond?

Clarkson's upcoming newspaper columns will be very interesting to read, his TV career looks to be over, Hammond & May of course present other shows for the BBC.
  • Options
    duckymallardduckymallard Posts: 13,936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Faust wrote: »
    But was it? My reading of this incident is that they had knocked off for the day and a row ensued (not in work time) but in a hotel room.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if it turns out Clarkson has a case against the BBC.

Now just why on earth would a family of four be in the same hotel room as Clarkson and the producer?
  • Options
    Guest82722Guest82722 Posts: 10,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Faust wrote: »
    With his millions I don't think he needs to give two hoots do you? Good look to him I say, he's well rid of the PC mad idiots who are running the BBC. Cohen and Co represent all that's bad with the UK, IMHO.

One of our dinosaurs is missing.
  • Options
    OsusanaOsusana Posts: 7,510
    Forum Member
    dottzie38 wrote: »
    I'm a 40 year old woman and loved top gear as it was as does my 17 year old daughter do I want to see a woman presenter just because I am one? No not really :)

ETA
    Unless it's me so I'm can play about in cars like a twot

My OH is certain that the BBC will be searching for a black, gay, disabled, preferably in no wheelchair (so that they can test cars for suitability) as one of the presenters. Has to fit in with their ethnic and diversity policies.
    Or am I being too Clarkson there?
  • Options
    FayecorgasmFayecorgasm Posts: 29,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ell chris evans has well and truly ruled himself out apparently he prefers shuffling
  • Options
    CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I support the BBC's decision - though would it have been too outrageous to have the trio film a few bits for what will be the final episodes of their Top Gear era - as Clarkson is presumably still under his current contract for a few days yet?
  • Options
    Misty08Misty08 Posts: 1,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Osusana wrote: »
    My OH is certain that the BBC will be searching for a black, gay, disabled, preferably in no wheelchair (so that they can test cars for suitability) as one of the presenters. Has to fit in with their ethnic and diversity policies.

Yes, you are. But I am certainly hoping the BBC moves the show out of the 90s.
  • Options
    StrakerStraker Posts: 79,653
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Osusana wrote: »

It sounds like you've found your soul-mate there.

Taking each one of those individually what exactly would be wrong with a black presenter? What would be wrong with a gay presenter? What would be wrong with a disabled presenter?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 57
    Forum Member
    Straker wrote: »
    It sounds like you've found your soul-mate there.

Taking each one of those individually what exactly would be wrong with a black presenter? What would be wrong with a gay presenter? What would be wrong with a disabled presenter?

jesus.....can you not understand irony or wit or sarcasm?
This discussion has been closed.