The Killing - Danish Version vs. US version?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,105
Forum Member
I don't mind subtitles, don't care about the original vs. remake issue, don't care about any US vs international debate - I just want to watch the best version!

So which version should I watch?

Comments

• ilovewallanderilovewallander Posts: 41,935
    Forum Member
    I don't mind subtitles, don't care about the original vs. remake issue, don't care about any US vs international debate - I just want to watch the best version!

So which version should I watch?

The Danish version!!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,105
    Forum Member
    The Danish version!!!

Why!!!?
  • wakeywakey Posts: 3,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Both have their strong points. The Pilot Episode(s) of the US one is imho much stronger than the Danish one and the US one does the emotional side of those the Murder effects better BUT the story in the Danish one is better constructed across the season and is much better paced and that just makes it much more engaging. There are times where the US one just slows to a crawl and seems like they are just waiting for the the big cliffhanger at the end of the episode.

So while both are high quality drama the Danish one is superior
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,611
    Forum Member
    wakey wrote: »
    The Pilot Episode(s) of the US one is imho much stronger than the Danish one and the US one does the emotional side of those the Murder effects better
    I would disagree with even those points especially the second one. And the sound is so badly engineered on the US version you will likely need to turn on subtitles for that too. :(
  • ilovewallanderilovewallander Posts: 41,935
    Forum Member
    Why!!!?

The acting is amazing from the whole cast, from the Sofie Grabol who portrays the main character Lund right down to the little boys playing Nanna Birk Larsen's brothers. It's written brilliantly, it's atmospheric, gripping and dark, the cinematography is excellent. I liked the way they built up the tension and took 20 episodes for the story to unfold. I wasn't bored once by it. It's just one of my favourite ever shows. I was bored by the US version. But some people liked that version. It's subjective though because different people have different tastes.

That's why:D
  • MoreTearsMoreTears Posts: 7,025
    Forum Member
    I like both fine and I don't think a person can go wrong choosing either, but I rate the American version slightly higher. The Danish one has a somewhat smoother flow, but that is only because the American show engages in what I would call "character detours," giving us more personal information about the characters and their backgrounds. I LIKE that greater focus on character, but if you don't care about that so much, maybe that isn't so important to your decision.
  • fenlanderfenlander Posts: 2,199
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The US version season 1 is only half the story. Season 2 is still awaited to find out whodunit - starts in the US 9th March, if my info is correct.

The Danish version was also originally in 2 halves, but the BBC chose to broadcast the whole thing in one go.

Much better to see it without the break, whichever version you choose.
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    fenlander wrote: »
    The US version season 1 is only half the story. Season 2 is still awaited to find out whodunit - starts in the US 9th March, if my info is correct.

The Danish version was also originally in 2 halves, but the BBC chose to broadcast the whole thing in one go.

Much better to see it without the break, whichever version you choose.

Actually I think it was originally meant to be shown in two halves in Denmark but it became so popular that Danish TV decided to show it all in one go
  • DenleyDenley Posts: 4,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Definately watch the Danish version! :D It's probably my favourite series ever. I was hooked on it from the start.

The only comment I can make about the relative strength of the US version is I started to watch it but my heart wasn't in it and gave up about half an hour later.

It's probably a really good series but how can a remake improve on perfection?:confused:
    Forum Member
    Verence wrote: »
    Actually I think it was originally meant to be shown in two halves in Denmark but it became so popular that Danish TV decided to show it all in one go

Not true. In Denmark, Episode 10 aired in March 2007, and Episode 11 aired in September 2007 (you can see the exact airdates on Forbydelsen's IMDB page). The original plan was to show the second half of the season in early 2008, but Danish public outrage forced the show to go back into production months earlier than planned.
    Forum Member
    gomezz wrote: »
    And the sound is so badly engineered on the US version you will likely need to turn on subtitles for that too. :(

I think it was you that I had this discussion with before on DS. There is nothing wrong with the sound on the show itself (something I know from having watched the show on its American channel). What Channel 4's sound was like when they broadcast the programme may be another matter. I saw a clip somebody recorded from Channel 4 and uploaded to YouTube and the characters' voices sounded distorted.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've never seen the Danish version but it surely can't be worse than the US version. I don't think I've ever been more disappointed by a TV show.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Season 2 is still awaited to find out whodunit - starts in the US 9th March, if my info is correct.

Sorry. looks like that should be 2nd April.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MoreTears wrote: »
    I think it was you that I had this discussion with before on DS. There is nothing wrong with the sound on the show itself (something I know from having watched the show on its American channel). What Channel 4's sound was like when they broadcast the programme may be another matter. I saw a clip somebody recorded from Channel 4 and uploaded to YouTube and the characters' voices sounded distorted.

I seem to remember that the first two or three episodes had very poor sound. I thought that was to do with poorly encoded dodgy downloads rather than the quality of the original US broadcasts.
  • Callum CollumCallum Collum Posts: 4,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The US version is certainly worth watching even if a little slow at times. Not seen the Danish version.
    Forum Member
    Sorry. looks like that should be 2nd April.

April 1, actually.:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,105
    Forum Member
    Thanks, everyone. I'll be getting the Danish version then. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MoreTears wrote: »
    April 1, actually.:)

2a.m. April 2nd GMT (double episode). It might be different in Scotland.:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the US one is good, right until the end of the first season you thought you knew who did it then the Councillor get gives an evil look at the end and you are left wondering again.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was so long ago I've forgotten who I thought did it...
  • Jaycee DoveJaycee Dove Posts: 18,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Danish original is superb TV and 10 out of 10 compared with around 7 out of 10 for the US version.

It was interesting to compare the similarities and differences but the US version, whilst no dud, does not better the original so if you really do not mind the subtitles it should be no contest.

The acting, setting (the Danish landscape IS a character in the original) and pace of plotting all work so well.

Have just watched Borgen from the same Danish company and that is equally fantastic TV. Rumour is that this is getting a US remake as well but I am really glad I watched the original of this one as it will not translate into US politics without compromising changes.

Given the quality of both The (original) Killing and Borgen then Danish TV is providing some of the best drama in the world right now....and just as the UK Wallander is not up to the quality of the Scandinavian original I would say there is no good reason not to watch the best version of The Killing. And that is Forbrydelsen
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Danish version without a doubt.
  • PetingoPetingo Posts: 973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Danish version was way better, IMO

For a start off, there were more episodes in the Danish version so they could build the tension at a more leisurely pace.

That said, I enjoyed the American version and there were enough variations in the plot to make one almost feel as if one was watching two different stories.
    Forum Member
    Petingo wrote: »
    For a start off, there were more episodes in the Danish version so they could build the tension at a more leisurely pace.

This is what many people don't seem to understand. The American show has told only HALF its story so far. When the Larsen case is over in America, there will be 26 episodes, six more than the Danish show had. UK people only saw the full case in a short period of time because they were watching it FOUR YEARS after the Danes saw it. They also took a break at the half way point in Denmark. Instead of people comparing the full 20 episodes of the Danish show to what the Americans have made so far, they ought to be comparing the first season of the US show to the first ten episodes of the Danish show -- and episode 10 ended on just as much of a cliffhanger as the US show's first season finale.
  • The WulfrunianThe Wulfrunian Posts: 1,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just watch the Danish one. How often is the original version not the best?

I love modern American TV but I fail to see how they could possibly improve on what was a monumental piece of television.