Options

Any cyclists out there?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,105
Forum Member
I bought a new bike a few weeks ago, and the guy in Halfords insisted that I'd need GT-85 for proper maintenance of it.

But does it do anything beyond displacing water?

And when I'm lubricating the chain will it cause any problems if I use oil and GT-85 at the same time?

I'd rather keep the maintenance sessions as infrequent as possible.

Comments

• Options
    c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    regular maintenance is what is going to prevent the bike falling apart and possibly failing at a dangerous time. You are only looking at 15min once a week.
  • Options
    ImpingerImpinger Posts: 3,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

And when I'm lubricating the chain will it cause any problems if I use oil and GT-85 at the same time?

I prefer chain wax on my bike chain and steer clear of oil. Oil makes the chain look dirty and it collects dirt more readily - which isn't good for the chain/cogs.

Remember as well - only oil/lubricate the inside of the chain. Applying to the outside as well will collect even more dirt quicker.

Keep the chain clean(ish) as well. Soap water and old toothbrush or nailbrush will do the trick. Or there's a nice little chain cleaning contraption that clips onto the chain and takes the effort out of cleaning it. About once a month works for me, but depends on how often you use your bike.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,105
    Forum Member
    Impinger wrote: »
    I prefer chain wax on my bike chain and steer clear of oil. Oil makes the chain look dirty and it collects dirt more readily - which isn't good for the chain/cogs.

Remember as well - only oil/lubricate the inside of the chain. Applying to the outside as well will collect even more dirt quicker.

Keep the chain clean(ish) as well. Soap water and old toothbrush or nailbrush will do the trick. Or there's a nice little chain cleaning contraption that clips onto the chain and takes the effort out of cleaning it. About once a month works for me, but depends on how often you use your bike.

Thanks... sounds like good advice. :)
  • Options
    CitySlickerCitySlicker Posts: 10,414
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I use chain lube spray for mine (although it bubbles up and is messy when applying it, next time I think I'll get a plain bottle).

Every now and then when the chain gets gunked up - particularly in the winter with all the dirt on the roads - I get a little jar and pour in a bit of white spirit, using this with a toothbrush to clean the chain and cogs gets the dirt off miraculously. Then at least two washes with soap and water afterwards using the same toothbrush to make sure the white spirit has been removed, and once rinsed and dry back on with the chain lube.

The biggest problem for me with a properly maintained cycle is it's almost silent (thin 700c tyres make very little noise on the road) and people have a habit of not looking before they step out into the road, so a bellowing voice is also a handy asset!
  • Options
    soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ..The biggest problem for me with a properly maintained cycle is it's almost silent (thin 700c tyres make very little noise on the road) and people have a habit of not looking before they step out into the road, so a bellowing voice is also a handy asset!
    There is a handy gizmo called a bicycle bell that is meant for this purpose!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    soulboy77 wrote: »

They're about as good as a chocolate fireguard for me at the speeds I cycle at, by the time someone's heard a little 'ding-ding', registered it in their head, looked around, seen me - I'd have hit them by this point causing both of us damage.

Nothing shifts people off the road like a good 'STOOOPPP!!!'
  • Options
    howardlhowardl Posts: 5,120
    Forum Member
    soulboy77 wrote: »

You beat me to it,
    I'm amazed not all bikes have bells...is it not the law?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    howardl wrote: »
    You beat me to it,
    I'm amazed not all bikes have bells...is it not the law?

Try ringing a bell when you're cycling on the south circ, or, come to that, anywhere in zone 1. They don't have any affect. It's not unheard of for some cyclists to use air horns in zone 1.
  • Options
    bart4858bart4858 Posts: 11,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    c4rv wrote: »
    regular maintenance is what is going to prevent the bike falling apart and possibly failing at a dangerous time. You are only looking at 15min once a week.

I never did any regular maintenance to my bike, and it seemed to still work.

(Although now that I don't use it for months on end, the chain does tend to seize up with rust. I might give that GT-85 stuff a go, as WD-40 does nothing)

Apart from the brakes and tyres which obviously you check before setting out, what maintenance issues would cause it to become dangerous?
  • Options
    stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Get some proper chain lube, those sprays won't do your bike any good. Strange as Halfords sell them so the assistant was a little lacking this time. Chain lube lasts several months so you won't need to bother messing about.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Try ringing a bell when you're cycling on the south circ, or, come to that, anywhere in zone 1. They don't have any affect. It's not unheard of for some cyclists to use air horns in zone 1.

Yes air horns, work friend has these'
    I understand the bell isn't too audible, but a little tinkle on one when a pedestrian is in the way...and a thankyou as you pass by is better than OIY!!!!
    I think all bikes should have at least a bell
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I understand the bell isn't too audible, but a little tinkle on one when a pedestrian is in the way...and a thankyou as you pass by is better than OIY!!!!
    I think all bikes should have at least a bell

Point taken about a bell being better than nothing, but I certainly keep up with the traffic around town and at that speed a shout (or airhorn) is definitely needed rather than a little tinkling bell. As I've said before on other threads, depending on the situation I am a pedestrian, a cyclist and a motorist. There are good and bad types in all three groups, but because I do all three activities I am always thinking about acting appropriately to be safe for all three groups.

Pedestrians who just step into the road need to go back to the green cross code!

Going back on topic, I would never use WD-40 on a chain. It is only a very light lubricant, picks up a lot of dirt and evaporates quickly. Any proper chain lube is better than WD-40. It always has to be applied to a clean chain, don't be tempted to think the chain looks a bit dry so you'll stick some on (we've all been there in the past). You should only need to do this about every 3-5 months in the warmer months and every 1-2 months in the winter if you are an on-road cyclist (more frequently if you are off road picking up a lot of dust).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I clean my chain quite often , sometimes in an ultrasonic bath,
    But normally coiled up and bathe it in a degreasant and a bit of brushing, then dip in oil and wipe off the excess.
    I have tried waxing the chain but not recently
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I understand the bell isn't too audible,

Some bells are louder than others. Forget the ones where pressing/releasing the lever gives you one tinkle. You need one of those where the ringing is continuous.

On those, sometimes they can be too loud (coming up behind walkers along a path for example; you don't want to startle them); then putting your hand over to muffle it is more polite than shouting or using a horn.
  • Options
    DubDubDubDub Posts: 2,611
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i treat my bike like a woman. If shes well lubed then we're both gonna have a great time :D I focus on the drive train: if u r serious, buy a chain cleaner [finishline my fav - i've tried other brands] clean every few outings and after every wet cycle unless using a strong wet lube. FUI i maintain both mine and bros bikes. [He] ainnt got the inclination so i use finish line (green) wet lube which is fricken awesome for longevity even in a monsoon. I am more attentive :) and use finishline dry [red cap]. If touring u can use this indefinitely. So to summarise if u want to save money clean yer chain regularly {clean chain and apply suitable lube - generally wet lube likes a clean chain, dry lube can be applied on top of each other Thats all !! all the bells & whistles are balls...OUT THE ****IN WAY! usually works :D tho i do hav a bell for canal paths :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I bought a new bike a few weeks ago, and the guy in Halfords insisted that I'd need GT-85 for proper maintenance of it.

But does it do anything beyond displacing water?

I'd rather keep the maintenance sessions as infrequent as possible.

GT-85 is a water displacer only!!!!!
    i spray it on my nuts & bolts and cables to repel water & grime as it leaves a teflon film.
    NEVER use it [also wd40] as a lubricant on yer chain.

after cleaning a chain u could use GT-85 to get rid of water then apply proper lubricant.
    if i was 2 give any tip it woulkd be treat yer chain with utmost respect !!
  • Options
    chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DubDub wrote: »
    GT-85 is a water displacer only!!!!!

Not it's not, it's also a lubricant as it contains PTFE.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Impinger wrote: »

i'm reeading this thread back to front?!

i've tried wax and its pants for anything other than v short distances
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chenks wrote: »
    Not it's not, it's also a lubricant as it contains PTFE.

i prefer to disagree. PTFE is nice/usefull but it dont = a decent lubricant. Granted its better than nothing, but if that was all i used on me chain then i'd be replacing it [chain/sprokets] every other month !
  • Options
    chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DubDub wrote: »
    i prefer to disagree. PTFE is nice/usefull but it dont = a decent lubricant. Granted its better than nothing, but if that was all i used on me chain then i'd be replacing it [chain/sprokets] every other month !

If you're having to replace chain/sprockets every month then there is something seriously wrong, and lubrication is the least of your worries.

You initially said it wasn't a lubricant, and now you've changed that to "not a decent lubricant". That fact is that it is a lubricant.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chenks wrote: »
    If you're having to replace chain/sprockets every month then there is something seriously wrong, and lubrication is the least of your worries.

You initially said it wasn't a lubricant, and now you've changed that to "not a decent lubricant". That fact is that it is a lubricant.
    it can be used as a lubricant as opposed to thin air [ie it would be better than f*ck all]

the amount of cycling i do if i only sprayed gt85 on my chain i'd woul;d be lookin at replacement every other month to maintain optimum efficiency :)

if u think gt85 is a good lube then good for you squeeky :D
  • Options
    MrQuikeMrQuike Posts: 18,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I use a chain cleaning device (from Halfords) filled with some kind of orange oil. Afterwards I spray the chain all over with Dry Teflon Lube, leave it a while, then lightly wipe it with a rag. Job done in no time at all...:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bart4858 wrote: »
    I never did any regular maintenance to my bike, and it seemed to still work.

(Although now that I don't use it for months on end, the chain does tend to seize up with rust. I might give that GT-85 stuff a go, as WD-40 does nothing)

Apart from the brakes and tyres which obviously you check before setting out, what maintenance issues would cause it to become dangerous?

you just answered you own question twice. First your chain seizing up and second with brakes and tyres can get dangerous if not checked.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    c4rv wrote: »
    you just answered you own question twice. First your chain seizing up and second with brakes and tyres can get dangerous if not checked.

My bike often gets dismantled for transporting in the car, I have to check if the brake cables have been tensioned properly.

The other issues come up because the bike isn't used much; and neither the tyres being low (which I would notice anyway) and a 'lumpy' chain are particularly dangerous (it's not a racing bike).

But when I did ride more often, lack of maintenance never caused any serious problems.

One thing which I do find dangerous is a chain jumping off and getting stuck, so you're in the middle of traffic (I was on that giant roundabout in Rome last time it happened) with no way to propel it. But that tends to be on meticulously maintained rental bikes, never on my rusty old one.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bart4858 wrote: »
    Some bells are louder than others. Forget the ones where pressing/releasing the lever gives you one tinkle. You need one of those where the ringing is continuous.

On those, sometimes they can be too loud (coming up behind walkers along a path for example; you don't want to startle them); then putting your hand over to muffle it is more polite than shouting or using a horn.

how many hands do you have ? So you are supposed to ring the bell, cover it at the same time, steer and cover the brakes all at the same time ?