Options

EE 2G/3G/4G Discussion Thread

Comments

• Options
    japittsjapitts Posts: 711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This seems like a timely occasion to re-post the "report an issue" links...

https://www.orange.co.uk/forms/network-feedback

https://shop.ee.co.uk/network-feedback/?WT.mc_id=ON_EE_V_network-feedback&WT.tsrc=Vanity

I'd guess there's something similar on T-Mobile's site somewhere too. I've no idea where the forms go, but I have seen definite improvements in areas soon after reporting problems via this route.
  • Options
    mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I got bored of waiting for 3 to decide when they will launch their LTE network, so I bought one of the cheap 6GB SIMs off eBay (which, if you didn't want to tether on a phone, seems to be a better deal than 3's cheap mobile broadband SIMs - double the data and LTE access for not much more).

I'm in Reading a lot where 3's network is horribly congested, speed tests while tethering show 1mbit or less (which could be due to traffic shaping). I don't feel like using all of my data allowance on speed tests, but everything feels snappier on EE LTE via the Nexus 5. Like using fibre broadband. Shame it's only 6GB.

I get a belting signal near my office on the outskirts of Slough, too, which must mean the recently installed Huawei cabinet has been commissioned.

While I don't need it (3's network is fantastic in Cornwall), it'll be nice when EE finally decide to give the south west a bit more loving outside of Plymouth/Exeter/Torquay.
  • Options
    ThreeThree Posts: 1,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    moox wrote: »
    I got bored of waiting for 3 to decide when they will launch their LTE network, so I bought one of the cheap 6GB SIMs off eBay (which, if you didn't want to tether on a phone, seems to be a better deal than 3's cheap mobile broadband SIMs - double the data and LTE access for not much more).

I'm in Reading a lot where 3's network is horribly congested, speed tests while tethering show 1mbit or less (which could be due to traffic shaping). I don't feel like using all of my data allowance on speed tests, but everything feels snappier on EE LTE via the Nexus 5. Like using fibre broadband. Shame it's only 6GB.

I get a belting signal near my office on the outskirts of Slough, too, which must mean the recently installed Huawei cabinet has been commissioned.

While I don't need it (3's network is fantastic in Cornwall), it'll be nice when EE finally decide to give the south west a bit more loving outside of Plymouth/Exeter/Torquay.

If you use the RootMetrics app to run a speedtest whilst on EE you aren't charged for any data usage.
  • Options
    de525made525ma Posts: 874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No Decommissioning in that area.

Oh I'm so relieved - I just drove out there and everything was fine again. In fact, signal seems to have improved a bit so maybe the mast was just down for some maintenance last time I was there (10/11 Jan).

Was misled by my father who said it was still terrible when I last spoke to him. Went round there, expecting the worst, and there was full signal on both of our phones. They were only picking up Vodafone in a manual network search earlier in Jan.

Sorry to have misled anyone!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I must say though - I'm pretty disappointed with Aberdeen's 4G. Rarely get it indoors, and its 1 or 2 bars the rest of the time.

No 4G on campus, so still stuck using Eduroam...

2 bars of 4G indoors at home though, where I don't need it...
  • Options
    enapaceenapace Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    de525ma wrote: »
    Oh I'm so relieved - I just drove out there and everything was fine again. In fact, signal seems to have improved a bit so maybe the mast was just down for some maintenance last time I was there (10/11 Jan).

Was misled by my father who said it was still terrible when I last spoke to him. Went round there, expecting the worst, and there was full signal on both of our phones. They were only picking up Vodafone in a manual network search earlier in Jan.

Sorry to have misled anyone!

Glad to hear it.
  • Options
    The Lord LucanThe Lord Lucan Posts: 5,054
    Forum Member
    I must say though - I'm pretty disappointed with Aberdeen's 4G. Rarely get it indoors, and its 1 or 2 bars the rest of the time.

No 4G on campus, so still stuck using Eduroam...

2 bars of 4G indoors at home though, where I don't need it...

Totally agree there. Ongoing upgrades should see better 4G coverage very soon. Only a few sites currently transmitting right now.

Which campus.. Garthdee or Old Aberdeen?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Totally agree there. Ongoing upgrades should see better 4G coverage very soon. Only a few sites currently transmitting right now.

Which campus.. Garthdee or Old Aberdeen?

Old Aberdeen. I had hoped that they would broadcast 4G from the Orange transmitter on the top of the MacRobert building. No such luck, the signal seems to come from somewhere near Berryden as I get full reception outside (but not inside) Sainsbury's. Maybe they will at some point, as EE are (or were) the Uni's corporate provider.
  • Options
    lost boylost boy Posts: 1,982
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unfortunately you are not alone in suffering sudden loss of service due to excessive decommissioning.
    Quite, 11 months and counting here since the excessive "optimisation" was completed.

Luckily, Three is having no such issues here though, therefore avoiding the need to chase EE daily. It means I can avoid dragging the thread off track too :cool:
    Its also worth checking if there are any local faults.
    +1.
  • Options
    ozzozz Posts: 825
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lost boy wrote: »
    Quite, 11 months and counting here since the excessive "optimisation" was completed.

Luckily, Three is having no such issues here though, therefore avoiding the need to chase EE daily. It means I can avoid dragging the thread off track too :cool:

+1.

Thought if Three had presence so did EE????

Noticed last year that Snettisham has had its 2G only orange mast upgraded to 3G recently which now gives constant 3G coverage from Rutland to North Norfolk.
  • Options
    lost boylost boy Posts: 1,982
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ozz wrote: »
    Thought if Three had presence so did EE????

So did I, and to be fair that is supposed to be the case - in theory. In practice though it doesn't seem to be working quite that way.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Old Aberdeen. I had hoped that they would broadcast 4G from the Orange transmitter on the top of the MacRobert building. No such luck, the signal seems to come from somewhere near Berryden as I get full reception outside (but not inside) Sainsbury's. Maybe they will at some point, as EE are (or were) the Uni's corporate provider.

Northern Hotel, Persley/Balgownie in BOD & i think the AFC sites should be upgraded shortly which should help overall coverage in that area. I cannot recall seeing the MacRobert site on the list, but it would not make sense to exclude it. Upgrades may have already been done tho.. what are the 3G speeds/coverasge like at the Uni?
  • Options
    tycho-magtycho-mag Posts: 8,664
    Forum Member
    Big MBNL (both EE brands, and Three) outage today in Farnborough Hants, town centre. Post code GU14 7SJ is Debenhams almost directly below the mast on the tall tower block.

Three users had zero service, EE users had 1 bar 3G which I suspect was coming from another nearby mast. All 2G/3G/4G normally very good signals were missing. I noticed it around 8am , and it came back about 3pm.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    So nowadays a big outage equals just one mast?
  • Options
    enapaceenapace Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was thinking that myself Lucan.
  • Options
    tycho-magtycho-mag Posts: 8,664
    Forum Member
    So nowadays a big outage equals just one mast?

Well if covers about 20 office blocks, who get basically "No service" indoors without, and the town centre shops. Driving less than 3 miles, would have picked up another mast.

And Vodafone is the same around here, they've had enough outages in the last 2 years :-/

We are a small town, to be honest, I don't expect anything more :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Northern Hotel, Persley/Balgownie in BOD & i think the AFC sites should be upgraded shortly which should help overall coverage in that area. I cannot recall seeing the MacRobert site on the list, but it would not make sense to exclude it. Upgrades may have already been done tho.. what are the 3G speeds/coverasge like at the Uni?

Haha my coverage will improve even more at home then as the Northern Hotel is very close.

Speeds on the Orange transmitter at uni are pretty slow, around 1 - 1.5 megabits. When I was on a t-mobile sim I used to have to manually switch back to T-mobile's 3G in order to stream Google Music.

My EE sim seems to have changed the priority so that it sticks to T-mobile 3G a lot more. This more distant MBNL mast manages 3-4 megabits.

Similarly, the Northern Hotel's Orange mast is practically in my back garden, and my T-mobile sim always preferred that as it was the strongest (but slowest, unfortunately). Since I changed to EE, my phone hasn't connected to it once.
  • Options
    unouno Posts: 978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I see around the UK EE have work planned to install new Hop up plinths ? What is this work and why is it being done ? There seems a lot of this work being done
  • Options
    reclusive46reclusive46 Posts: 584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi guys,
    Are anyone else's EE home signal boxes playing up this morning? I'm just getting the flashing green light.
  • Options
    sparky93sparky93 Posts: 436
    Forum Member
    Hi guys,
    Are anyone else's EE home signal boxes playing up this morning? I'm just getting the flashing green light.

Mines working ok.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sparky93 wrote: »
    Mines working ok.

Its working again now. No idea what was wrong.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    There is a New Carrier update for EE. Now 15.6
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Just got it as well. Wonder whats its updated.
  • Options
    rightonpardrightonpard Posts: 150
    Forum Member

Yea I got that too around midnight last night. (I'm currently on T-Mobile for those keeping track).

Only moved from Vectone to T-Mobile because there was a glitch on the t-mobile webstore giving away free contracts back in November ;-)
  • Options
    ozzozz Posts: 825
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh dear, a poorly 3G Orange mast in Stamford, site ref LIN0001

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/i/748656054

Annoyingly there is a MBNL mast just 50yds away from this orange site but as it's lower my iPad favours the higher up orange :(
This discussion has been closed.