50th Anniversary Special Title (& BBC Commisions)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's more like it. Telling us what is coming. Did someone at the bbc suddenly have an epiphany our something?lol

Did think it might have been 90 minutes, but mustn't grumble, it's still a decent length. Hopefully there is more than just one or two things still to be announced for bbc3, and not just that one we've heard about already.
  • Bruce WayneBruce Wayne Posts: 5,326
    Forum Member
    Mulett wrote: »
    has the page been taken down?

HERE is a new updated link
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mulett wrote: »
    has the page been taken down?

It seems that way. It's interesting there have been a few tweets from BBC One answering the complaints about the 50th over the past few weeks and those all got deleted not so long after they were published.
  • AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's more like it. Telling us what is coming. Did someone at the bbc suddenly have an epiphany our something?lol

Did think it might have been 90 minutes, but mustn't grumble, it's still a decent length. Hopefully there is more than just one or two things still to be announced for bbc3, and not just that one we've heard about already.

Do you think BBC3 will re-run series 7 prior to the Anniversary episode?
  • saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rubbish title and rubbish running length. Apart from that...PARTY TIME!!!!!!
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And the link has been removed. I get the feeling that Moffat isn't happy about this reveal... :D

Well, somebody might not be happy, not necessarily SM though.
  • Chris_WaltonChris_Walton Posts: 235
    Forum Member
    wizzywick wrote: »
    Do you think BBC3 will re-run series 7 prior to the Anniversary episode?

They have been re-running series 7 since the end of July, continuing with Journey to the Centre of the TARDIS on the 14th
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    Well, somebody might not be happy, not necessarily SM though.

Possibly someone is unhappy because releasing the News this early can cause ITV to try and slot a programme into it's schedule at a probable air time for DW to diminish its ratings. This sort of thing is on par with the Christmas schedules. Reveal it at the latest moment you can so that damage limitation is created.

On the subject of a 50th trailer, I have a feeling we will start getting teasers on September 28th before Atlantis starts!
  • Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    I hate Moffat. He has funny hair and drives a wimpy car.

I've never seen his car.:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They have been re-running series 7 since the end of July, continuing with Journey to the Centre of the TARDIS on the 14th

Have they? Goid, where have I been living? In a cave?
  • Richard_WatsonRichard_Watson Posts: 426
    Forum Member
    No mention of cinema screenings. Has the plan been dropped then?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 28
    Forum Member
    Shawn_Lunn wrote: »
    Hopefully this will shut the Moffat haters up now.

I think you probably mean "for now" instead of "now".
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No mention of cinema screenings. Has the plan been dropped then?

I think it has. It was meant to be in 3D. But they're not making it in 3D now.
  • AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    I think it has. It was meant to be in 3D. But they're not making it in 3D now.

It is being done in 3D... the whole thing has been shot in 3D as one of the last things the BBC is doing in the format...for now at least. :) I suspect details of any screenings will be released soon, but not quite so in advance.

On the news, the title seems very Moffat'y to me :p The Day of the Doctor, following on from The Name of the Doctor. Anyone want to wager a guess for what 'of the Doctor' title we'll get for the Christmas special? :rolleyes: :D

The running length is perfectly fine... 90 minutes would have been nice, but until we see it...who knows, maybe that extra time would have made it overblown. I guess we'll have to wait and see. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is being done in 3D... the whole thing has been shot in 3D as one of the last things the BBC is doing in the format...for now at least. :)

Ah ok. Thanks for letting me know. I knew the BBC were scrapping their 3D plans so assumed it included Doctor Who too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is being done in 3D... the whole thing has been shot in 3D as one of the last things the BBC is doing in the format...for now at least. :) I suspect details of any screenings will be released soon, but not quite so in advance.

On the news, the title seems very Moffat'y to me :p The Day of the Doctor, following on from The Name of the Doctor. Anyone want to wager a guess for what 'of the Doctor' title we'll get for the Christmas special? :rolleyes: :D

The running length is perfectly fine... 90 minutes would have been nice, but until we see it...who knows, maybe that extra time would have made it overblown. I guess we'll have to wait and see. :)

It would have been awesome to have The Silents back in the Christmas episode. He could have called it "Silent Night".

Perhaps the Christmas title will be called "Twelve Angry Men" because it is allegedly going to feature the cybermen. (the "Angry" men and the "twelve" symbolising the imminent arrival of twelve!)

Chances are though it will be something easy and basic like "New Faces" or "The Wrath of the Doctor".
  • Richard_WatsonRichard_Watson Posts: 426
    Forum Member
    I suspect details of any screenings will be released soon, but not quite so in advance.

Thinking about it have those cinema plans ever been mentioned again since the first 50th Anniversary details were announced?
    Forum Member
    It would have been awesome to have The Silents back in the Christmas episode. He could have called it "Silent Night".

Perhaps the Christmas title will be called "Twelve Angry Men" because it is allegedly going to feature the cybermen. (the "Angry" men and the "twelve" symbolising the imminent arrival of twelve!)

Chances are though it will be something easy and basic like "New Faces" or "The Wrath of the Doctor".

I quite liked Silent Night as a title, and the idea of bringing back The Silence for Smith's final story - their very much tied to his era and it would have been a great chance to bring back Madame Kovarian - the show could use a major female villain and she was perfect :D

As long as it's not something like 'The End of the Doctor' though, or something similarly hyperbolic, that's fine with me :p
    Thinking about it have those cinema plans ever been mentioned again since the first 50th Anniversary details were announced?
    I'm not too sure, I haven't heard anything myself. Either way, it won't impact me unless I could enjoy it in luxurious 2D on a big screen... I just don't "get" the hype of 3D at all. :p
  • mikey1980mikey1980 Posts: 3,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shawn_Lunn wrote: »
    Hopefully this will shut the Moffat haters up now.

I'm not a Moffat hater.

However I'm ever so slightly underwhelmed. Bearing in mind this is a stand-out one-off episode celebrating the 50th anniversary, 75 minutes sounds rather short too me. I had been hoping for something more movie length - 95-100 minutes. Remember that your typical end of season two parter would be at least 90 minutes in total...

Obviously, we haven't seen it yet, so I'll hold back from making a firm judgement. But my initial thought is that 75 minutes is disappointingly short.
    Forum Member
    mikey1980 wrote: »
    I'm not a Moffat hater.

However I'm ever so slightly underwhelmed. Bearing in mind this is a stand-out one-off episode celebrating the 50th anniversary, 75 minutes sounds rather short too me. I had been hoping for something more movie length - 95-100 minutes. Remember that your typical end of season two parter would be at least 90 minutes in total...

Obviously, we haven't seen it yet, so I'll hold back from making a firm judgement. But my initial thought is that 75 minutes is disappointingly short.

I half agree, but then we'll have to wait and see the final product really. In some ways The Name of the Doctor ties into The Day of the Doctor, and we don't yet know if that in turn will tie into the Christmas special. Even if they were all only loosely tied, it would mean it is essentially a 180 minute story :)
  • radcliffe95radcliffe95 Posts: 4,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I half agree, but then we'll have to wait and see the final product really. In some ways The Name of the Doctor ties into The Day of the Doctor, and we don't yet know if that in turn will tie into the Christmas special. Even if they were all only loosely tied, it would mean it is essentially a 180 minute story :)

Exactly. I have a feeling these 3 will be viewed as a trilogy in years to come.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Thats true. And I suspect that the Christmas Special itself will be more like 75 minutes, being Matt Smith's final episode.

However it will be quite difficult for the 50th anniversary special to be both standalone and yet also tied in to episodes either side of it..
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You could have your 90 mins with 15 mins of superfluous padding if the actual story fits into a well-paced 75-min slot.

Or it could be a 75-min story slowed in pace and fitted into 90 mins.

As stated, 75 mins could be right for the story.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Any reason why the page has been taken off the BBC website?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mikey1980 wrote: »
    Any reason why the page has been taken off the BBC website?

Maybe the information was embargoed until midnight, and someone jumped the gun and put the page up early,.