Options

Salsa Dancing Granny Already Winner of Spains Got Talent in 2009

Comments

• Options
    Grumpy_AlanGrumpy_Alan Posts: 1,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They didnt deserve the golden buzzer though.
    Collabro did.

Just wait to see what rubbish Walliams puts through with the golden buzzer.
  • Options
    twellstwells Posts: 1,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Producers invite people to audition on all of the three talent shows don't they?

They send scouts out to check on popular local performers and invite the best to audition. They skip the general "cattle call" audition.

Susan Boyle had been singing in pubs and clubs around Blackburn for 25 years and auditioning for TV shows. But lightening didn't strike till BGT. She said in one of her first interviews she'd been asked to audition by the producers. But then fudged that in the next interview, obviously on orders from London.
  • Options
    ForGodsSakeForGodsSake Posts: 16,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just wait to see what rubbish Walliams puts through with the golden buzzer.

LOL as good as that ?
    Can't wait. :D
  • Options
    topcat3topcat3 Posts: 3,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's not actually any rule that says if you have been on a tv talent show before you can't audition.

TBH I would prefer a version of the show where it was all amateurs but hey that's not the show they haven't broken any rules
  • Options
    Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Golden Button

So its pretty safe to assume the judges knew of this act before hand. It was all a set up. Simon pressing his button before they kicked it up a gear knowing what was going to happen next.

Amanda pressing the Golden Button to guarantee a place in the final was to get around the likelihood that people would figure out this act had been a winner in TV Talent shows before and create a backlash and some publicity for the show. So the Golden Button has been used for maximum publicity.
  • Options
    garyessexgaryessex Posts: 9,083
    Forum Member
    It just seemed so contrived. The whole speech by Cowel about his distaste of Ballroom, him pressing the buzzer at the EXACT moment it changes from a slow feeble event to the main attraction.
  • Options
    LayzeegoatLayzeegoat Posts: 1,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Without wishing to be unchivalrous she looked a really old 80, more like a ninety year old. And the 'dancing' was minimal.

No she doesn't! My mum could barely walk at 80 let alone dance (the dementia set in two years later). Yeah, dancing 90-year-olds are really common (not)! Minimal dancing or not, what she did was utterly astounding for a woman of her age.
  • Options
    LayzeegoatLayzeegoat Posts: 1,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    duckylucky wrote: »
    You are way way off with my age . And this show is a talent show and not "the best moves by an 80 year old" . Everyone has to be judged on merit , not on age . And I didnt think she was all that great actually

I agree with you on your second sentence, and fair enough if you didn't think she was that great. However, I thought the way she was able to move and be thrown around was astounding (having come into contact with large numbers of 80-year-olds).
  • Options
    duncannduncann Posts: 11,969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought they were brilliant and hilarious. It is if no consequence if they have won another talent show, it wasn't this one, or even the Spanish version of this one. There is nothing in the rules that says you must be a loser from elsewhere or amateur or never have worked or done your act before. It's an all comers show.

All these people try out for everything - and yes of course BGT scouts all over Europe for acts. It's a top TV show in a huge slot in one of the world's most competitive TV markets. It has to be put together, packaged and edited to perfection, it doesn't just happen. Look at Attraction last year, they were a professional troupe. Who cares? It's up to the public to vote for whomever is their favourite.

As for the judges' reactions, the producers brief them and then sometimes surprise them. Their reactions are exaggerated a bit but in this case I think Amanda did not know, she was too spontaneous and in hysterics.
  • Options
    Grumpy_AlanGrumpy_Alan Posts: 1,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just a passing thought here.

Her partner reminds of the character in the paper towel advert Juan Sheet. Not sure of the actual product name but the over-the-top character tends to stick in the mind.
  • Options
    brbbrb Posts: 27,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For me, I don't care what she has won in the past, the only thing I care about is how Cowell etc played dumb, despite knowing exactly who she is. I don't like the manipulation of it all.
  • Options
    Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just a passing thought here.

Her partner reminds of the character in the paper towel advert Juan Sheet. Not sure of the actual product name but the over-the-top character tends to stick in the mind.

It was Plenty :D

http://www.ipa.co.uk/write/docs/Plenty_02.jpg
  • Options
    brbbrb Posts: 27,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It'll always be Bounty to me :cry::cry:
  • Options
    Nesta RobbinsNesta Robbins Posts: 30,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chatting to Phil and Holly on This Morning - first time around back in 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8n3eTksnGJU
  • Options
    Sandra BeeSandra Bee Posts: 9,437
    Forum Member
    You are way way off with my age . And this show is a talent show and not "the best moves by an 80 year old" . Everyone has to be judged on merit , not on age . And I didnt think she was all that great actually

Quite right. If the same act had been performed by youngsters, all four judges would have pressed their buzzers.

It's a set-up and Simon Cowell needs to get some acting lessons if he is to persisit with this act of his because he isn't very convincing. Also Amanda's shock face is getting very annoying already.

So, are we expected to vote for 90 year olds who sing very badly just because they're old. No way. It's partonising, to be honest.
  • Options
    JordanC55JordanC55 Posts: 9,348
    Forum Member
    She was on the Argentinian version of Dancing With The Stars as well, so it's funny really.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bailando_2010
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 37
    Forum Member
    Dancing granny. Incredible.
  • Options
    Reality SucksReality Sucks Posts: 28,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JordanC55 wrote: »
    She was on the Argentinian version of Dancing With The Stars as well, so it's funny really.

Which she didn't win because it was a proper dance competition like Strictly. The whole point of it is the novelty factor, not that she's the best salsa dancer (which she clearly isn't) It's the fact that she can be hurled around at her age. :o:D
  • Options
    TopsyCTopsyC Posts: 228
    Forum Member
    I recognised her when she went on stage, so I don't believe for a minute that the panel didn't know about her

Was she also on Russell Howard's programme in the bit where he has to guess what someone does ?
  • Options
    MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,543
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I honestly believe she's going to win the whole competition. It's just a feeling i've got. I've stuck a tenner on her at 8/1 to win.
  • Options
    urt31urt31 Posts: 2,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JordanC55 wrote: »

Jesus Christ, thirty odd couples and lasts from May through December?
  • Options
    eveningstareveningstar Posts: 19,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Meet the Record Breakers, 2010. With all these online clips how could the judges not have a clue who she was?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iF1tV2ZCVp4
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Paddy did win the Spanish `tu si que vales` she also holds the `Guinness record for the most `Acrobatic Salsa Dancer` so she was already a profe.ssional dancer
  • Options
    japarajapara Posts: 1,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I've only just got around to watching the programme but have to agree with the above.
  • Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    topcat3 wrote: »
    There's not actually any rule that says if you have been on a tv talent show before you can't audition.

TBH I would prefer a version of the show where it was all amateurs but hey that's not the show they haven't broken any rules

That's not the point.
    The point is the pretence around making out that this act was unknown to them before.