This show is sooo cheesy, contrived and obvious, it's ridiculous!

LeahbelleLeahbelle Posts: 205
Forum Member
I record it, and fast forward most of the show. I can't bear, and haven't got the time or patience, to sit and watch most of it. There are usually 2/3 decent acts per show. the rest is filled with cringeworthy acts, and cringeworthy banter between the judges.

The 80 year old dancer was great, but hunted down by the shows researchers and asked to audition. So obviously Simon knew who she was, that she'd already won a previous big talent show in Spain, knew what her act was, yet he sat there pulling faces and rolling his eyes, in all the right places, then looked amused, and interested as soon as the act got going. He knew all along, and the whole thing was contrived.

If he is like that in this situation, then the rest of the show must be contrived too, which it obviously is. They try to manipulate, us, the audience. It's so obvious, and predictable. You can tell if it's going to be a good act, because they film the contestants at their homes, play certain sob story music, followed by the latest sob story, in a show full of sob stories.

The show is the same every year, and introducing a gold button, has no effect at all. It's still one of the most boring, predictable shows ever.

If you record it and fast forward all the crap, you can watch the whole show in 10 mins!

I did like that act from the Ukraine with the lights and dancing though. Who knows, they might even win :)

Comments

• shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And you couldn't have said that in any of the other threads slagging it off? If you don't like it, don't watch it. It ain't rocket science. Obviously about 10 million DID like it and will no doubt watch it all again this week. I suppose you can't please everyone and you are in good company as there is clearly a very vocal minority who are much more vocal than the large majority. Negativity is alive and well on here.
  • wazzyboywazzyboy Posts: 13,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There are many other channels, and an off button.

If you want it to be better so you can watch it properly, perhaps if you suggest improvements, they will get considered. Maybe not, but if you don' t, then the producers will not worry, especially if ratings are good.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And the winner of the stating the bleedin' obvious award for April is ......
  • Bio MaxBio Max Posts: 2,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And the winner of the stating the bleedin' obvious award for April is ......

Spot on - but I have to agree with the OP in that normally we do watch BGT - but we started watching saturday'd episode and just said "why are we watching this?" and turned off. Time to give up with it!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bio Max wrote: »
    Spot on - but I have to agree with the OP in that normally we do watch BGT - but we started watching saturday'd episode and just said "why are we watching this?" and turned off. Time to give up with it!

Fair play to you :). I was like that the year before last with X Factor. I'd always watched the audition rounds since the start because they were usually quite entertaining but I came to exactly the same realisation as you did about BGT and I haven't watched it since. I'll usually find out who's won after the finale but that's about the extent of my interest in the show now.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Leahbelle wrote: »
    I record it, and fast forward most of the show. I can't bear, and haven't got the time or patience, to sit and watch most of it. There are usually 2/3 decent acts per show. the rest is filled with cringeworthy acts, and cringeworthy banter between the judges.

The 80 year old dancer was great, but hunted down by the shows researchers and asked to audition. So obviously Simon knew who she was, that she'd already won a previous big talent show in Spain, knew what her act was, yet he sat there pulling faces and rolling his eyes, in all the right places, then looked amused, and interested as soon as the act got going. He knew all along, and the whole thing was contrived.

If he is like that in this situation, then the rest of the show must be contrived too, which it obviously is. They try to manipulate, us, the audience. It's so obvious, and predictable. You can tell if it's going to be a good act, because they film the contestants at their homes, play certain sob story music, followed by the latest sob story, in a show full of sob stories.

The show is the same every year, and introducing a gold button, has no effect at all. It's still one of the most boring, predictable shows ever.

If you record it and fast forward all the crap, you can watch the whole show in 10 mins!

I did like that act from the Ukraine with the lights and dancing though. Who knows, they might even win :)

So what's the logic in you watching BGT, other than being a glutton for punishment.:D
  • MysteriousOzMysteriousOz Posts: 6,230
    Forum Member

Here Here!! Agreed 200%

Like it or hate it, you have a right to post what you like :)
  • rsefitpro07rsefitpro07 Posts: 2,636
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't get all these people that criticise the show. If you don't like it then don't watch it simple!

At the end of the day 10 million people watched last Saturdays show, it continues to be very popular,

Watch Casualty or something or perhaps watch a DVD, don't tell us how bad the show is!
  • jerefprdterrajerefprdterra Posts: 30,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not really sure why the OP watchest the show to be honest.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not really sure why the OP watchest the show to be honest.

I'd wager that there's probably a lot of people on the BGT forum who don't watch it but will just criticise it purely for being a Simon Cowell creation ..
  • Bio MaxBio Max Posts: 2,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't get all these people that criticise the show. If you don't like it then don't watch it simple!

At the end of the day 10 million people watched last Saturdays show, it continues to be very popular,

Watch Casualty or something or perhaps watch a DVD, don't tell us how bad the show is!

It's a forum - people are allowed to criticise aren't they? It's not called the 'only post if you enjoy BGT forum'....
  • BROXI BEARBROXI BEAR Posts: 9,279
    Forum Member
    All these type of shows are better watched recorded. Thank God for sky+!!
  • duckyluckyduckylucky Posts: 13,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The OP is fully entitled to sn opinion and to post that opinion anywhere he/ she feels like it
  • Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Every episode is exactly the same. It's a very stale format.
  • toofasttoofast Posts: 2,240
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It has a limited shelf life.

Every show is the same and it's very stale now.
  • spkxspkx Posts: 14,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    toofast wrote: »

It's already been going eight years and recently launched to its best ever ratings, so its shelf life can't be that limited (for a TV show).

Heck, even were to end tomorrow it'd have been on longer than most shows.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Of course Cowell will know beforehand if the act is good or not. He does his acting quite well, but he'll definitely know if the act is crap or great. One obvious indication of this is that there must be goodness knows how many people audition for this show and also, Cowell's the executive producer of this show. He'll not want auditionees on his show if he doesn't know anything about their acts. Of course he'll know if they're good or if they're crap. He'll want to create a balance between good and crap acts for his show. In other words, acts that wow you and acts that 'entertain' you.
  • theiatheia Posts: 1,809
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bio Max wrote: »
    It's a forum - people are allowed to criticise aren't they? It's not called the 'only post if you enjoy BGT forum'....

I second that. We are all going to differ in our opinions but we are all free to express them here, surely?
  • dragon_mutant1dragon_mutant1 Posts: 212
    Forum Member
    toofast wrote: »

Well it's still fun, light-hearted entertainment, so it is far from stale.
  • shadowassassinshadowassassin Posts: 1,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You guys all say "don't like it don't watch it", but I don't dislike the show, and it has produced some huge acts over the last few years from subo to diversity - it's just that this show doesn't need to be so obviously contrived. Who does Simon or the produces think their fooling? Not us, for sure. It's a talent show, designed to find someone who can win and play at the royal variety show, but also have success post show. This nonsense adds nothing, no extra value. It just makes people irritated.

Back to basics is what we desperately need.
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The problem with the contrived nature of BGT is that it instantly reduces the element of surprise.

You will never get those amazing moments that television can throw up from time to time because the producers just don't let it happen anymore.

I still enjoy it though. And it doesn't seem as nasty as it used to, probably David Walliams has done that.
  • achroachro Posts: 3,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You guys all say "don't like it don't watch it", but I don't dislike the show, and it has produced some huge acts over the last few years from subo to diversity - it's just that this show doesn't need to be so obviously contrived. Who does Simon or the produces think their fooling? Not us, for sure. It's a talent show, designed to find someone who can win and play at the royal variety show, but also have success post show. This nonsense adds nothing, no extra value. It just makes people irritated.

Back to basics is what we desperately need.

Since when do the Brits hate contrived things?

I mean, TOWIE has a BAFTA and people treat it like an actual documentary.

Brits love their shows scripted and contrived.
  • StratusSphereStratusSphere Posts: 2,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    achro wrote: »
    Since when do the Brits hate contrived things?

I mean, TOWIE has a BAFTA and people treat it like an actual documentary.

Brits love their shows scripted and contrived.

I think that's the point. It seems to be the trend nowadays, but it used to be that people liked British TV for the unscripted moments of chaos. Not like in the US where they pull the show or make you apologise if you swear on live TV! British TV people always like for random mean moments, whether on panel shows, or, when they first started, reality shows.

I'm of the opinion that TOWIE only is popular because its a new fad and also because there's not much competition for a show of that type on TV at the minute and that's why it got its BAFTA.