Will One direction crack America?

Comments

• BROXI BEARBROXI BEAR Posts: 9,279
    Forum Member
    Never in a million years!
  • TheChooksTheChooks Posts: 260
    Forum Member
    String9 wrote: »
    but their 2nd single might miss the top spot to a huge international artist and you can't get over it?? Lol!!!:D

& yet I remember a number of 1D fans not being quite so forgiving about Rhianna's pulling power a few weeks back....

Which is worse, to loose out in week 2 or week 7?

Time to play fair?
  • SCUSASCUSA Posts: 801
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I definitely think they can- esp with the right management decisions. They could have a lot of success with something that has a tv/ singing mix to get known with their target audience- then their music will sell easily. If they try to go straight to the music route, I think they would be smart to make sure there music doesn't have too much of a boy band feel, which I think they are capable of doing. But they all have a good look, are very personable and mesh together well so surely they will try some tv/ music angle to start.
  • fredsnailfredsnail Posts: 1,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think they have to learn to sing live first - they sounded awful on CiN on Friday - you could tell that they'd had some considerable tweeking on their single as it sounded nothing like they were singing live.

They seem a nice bunch of lads - but being nice doesn't equal success.
  • DreamingDanDreamingDan Posts: 716
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    String9 wrote: »
    They hold the record of the fastest single of the year, but their 2nd single might miss the top spot to a huge international artist and you can't get over it?? Lol!!!:D
    yawn way to deliberately misread my comment.
    If you wanna talk with the big boys come back when you finish pre-school.
    And fyi fastest selling means shit all, that's just something they throw around to make them appear bigger than they are. Overall sells it's what counts and even then albums are more important than singles.
  • twingletwingle Posts: 19,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fredsnail wrote: »
    I think they have to learn to sing live first - they sounded awful on CiN on Friday - you could tell that they'd had some considerable tweeking on their single as it sounded nothing like they were singing live.

They seem a nice bunch of lads - but being nice doesn't equal success.

I disagree I think they sounded great and of course they didn't sound like their single. Very few artists and especially groups don't. Oh and I forgot Rhianna (and Madonna) who are the worst offenders , They sound awful singing live and it hasn't harmed their careers one little bit
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They are due to preform on usa x factor soon they will 100% crack america.
  • MTUK1MTUK1 Posts: 20,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Ehh? There is only around three weeks left of the US version. There is no 1D single scheduled for release this year in the states. Why would they have them on now? I agree with you that 1D have a good chance of cracking America. They are all good looking, and very Charismatic. The girls and some boys! :D are going to go crazy for their accents.
  • String9String9 Posts: 12,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MTUK1 wrote: »
    Ehh? There is only around three weeks left of the US version. There is no 1D single scheduled for release this year in the states. Why would they have them on now? I agree with you that 1D have a good chance of cracking America. They are all good looking, and very Charismatic. The girls and some boys! :D are going to go crazy for their accents.

Yes it's on twitter that the boys and Leona (not together) will be performing on US X Factor.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,732
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MTUK1 wrote: »

Ironically, that's what supposedly did Cheryl Cole in at US XF :mad:

I'm of the opinion that they won't make it big in the USA, at least not to the extent that they have in the UK. Neither of their singles are radio-friendly for US Hot 100. They sound IMO a bit dated. A shame they didn't release their single for Forever Young. That was quite good.

They'll have opportunity to test the American waters when they tour with Big Time Rush. If the tweens at those shows are indifferent and bored while waiting for BTR to come in, then that will be the writing on the wall.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 318
    Forum Member
    They will crack America, it's a certainty.

And I'm going to come back on this thread when they do and say "I TOLD YOU SO!" ;)

They have something special these lads.
  • AJ3AJ3 Posts: 1,233
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

dont get your hopes up. little girls in america already have justin beiber to perv and fantasise about, they wont switch off him to go to some second rate boyband.

performing is the last thing they shouldve done as they suck at that, they shouldve just released a sexy calendar for the US, that wouldve been their best way into america.

I will be massively astonished if they crack america, its just not going to happen, they only like british artists who are talented and can sing.
  • iamstrongiamstrong Posts: 867
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It will really depend on the girls, won't it??? If you had asked me 3 years ago if Justin Bieber would be successful, I would've definitely said "no". If they can appeal to the teen girls, then they probably can be successful.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iamstrong wrote: »
    It will really depend on the girls, won't it??? If you had asked me 3 years ago if Justin Bieber would be successful, I would've definitely said "no". If they can appeal to the teen girls, then they probably can be successful.

Bieber's not my taste in music, but the boy can put on a show. One Direction cannot. Hopping around in place while singing along to a backing track is called "Kidz Bop", not "International Superstar".

Anything can happen. My inclination is to say that there will be some curiosity to these "boys that ain't speak English rite", which will probably fade shortly after.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,652
    Forum Member
    I think simon hopes they will have success like justin bieber and be the next "big thing".

thoughts?

Simply put, NO.

Others have tried who were bigger than 1D and failed.

America is not boy band country anymore either.

I am not sure how long 1D will last over here let alone think they could make it over the pond, Simon as ever is being a pratt.
  • twingletwingle Posts: 19,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    benami311 wrote: »
    Ironically, that's what supposedly did Cheryl Cole in at US XF :mad:

I'm of the opinion that they won't make it big in the USA, at least not to the extent that they have in the UK. Neither of their singles are radio-friendly for US Hot 100. They sound IMO a bit dated. A shame they didn't release their single for Forever Young. That was quite good.

They'll have opportunity to test the American waters when they tour with Big Time Rush. If the tweens at those shows are indifferent and bored while waiting for BTR to come in, then that will be the writing on the wall.

Judging by posts I have read on the net it looks like a lot of those tickets have been bought for One Direction not BTR. In fact a lot of posters are moaning that the boys have a short set compared to BTR. But to be fair I haven't gone on web sites with BTR fans so of course what I have read is slanted to 1D.

It is amazing the amount of fans they already have in the States and that is only from twitter trends then seeking them out on you tube. They seem to like what they see so it is a very good start but of course a long long way from a done deal of cracking the states
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    buckers_wv wrote: »
    They will crack America, it's a certainty.

And I'm going to come back on this thread when they do and say "I TOLD YOU SO!" ;)

They have something special these lads.

:D:D:D. I like you.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Simply put, NO.

Others have tried who were bigger than 1D and failed.

America is not boy band country anymore either.

I am not sure how long 1D will last over here let alone think they could make it over the pond, Simon as ever is being a pratt.

It's never been about "boyband", it's called the teen market and it is the biggest market in the world.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not going to happen. They can't even get their act together singing live.

And also, the US seems not interested in boybands. US boybands have tried, and even JLS couldn't do it and they were different, and more talented than 1D (which isn't saying much I know).
    twingle wrote: »
    Judging by posts I have read on the net it looks like a lot of those tickets have been bought for One Direction not BTR. In fact a lot of posters are moaning that the boys have a short set compared to BTR. But to be fair I haven't gone on web sites with BTR fans so of course what I have read is slanted to 1D.

It is amazing the amount of fans they already have in the States and that is only from twitter trends then seeking them out on you tube. They seem to like what they see so it is a very good start but of course a long long way from a done deal of cracking the states

I read some people getting annoyed by it, particularly BTR fans. They think they are just hoping on their success because they can't do it themselves. Mind you BTR are not big at all in the US.

JLS had fans in the states as well, and you know how that turned out.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    twingle wrote: »

BTR fans probably aren't posting. I'd guess that 6-12 year olds aren't allowed by their parents to post on message boards :D I don't believe for a second that the 1D fans will be outnumbering BTR fans by any means.
  • C14EC14E Posts: 32,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The number of posts pretending that Americans expect some kind of higher standard of talent is ridiculous. One Direction's problem is actually that live TV performances DON'T matter much as they do here (although they can still be important). Anyone remember Justin Bieber on X Factor UK? It's all about radio airplay. And they might struggle in that department - they're probably limited to top 40 stations unless they recruit a rent-a-rapper.

To make it work they'll need to spend a lot of time out there. Touring with Big Time Rush is a start. But they need to be building support online particularly and just getting out there - going to every radio station they can and building support and airplay. TV performances can play a part as well. More likely to see partnerships with Nickelodeon than Disney.

They're signed to Syco Music/Columbia Records in the US. Columbia promote a huge range of artists including some Syco acts (Il Divo, Susan Boyle, Jackie Evancho) and others ranging from Beyonce to Adele to Barbara Streisand to Glee. LA Reid used to be at Island Def Jam but now runs Epic Records which is also part of Sony. The label is being restructured to bring in some of the acts he signed or worked with in the past (likely Usher, Pink, Avril Lavigne, Ciara and maybe Mariah Carey and Outkast).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    C14E wrote: »
    they're probably limited to top 40 stations unless they recruit a rent-a-rapper.

They're not gonna crack Top 40 stations unless they recruit a rent-a-rapper. Maybe the guy from Rebecca Black's song is looking for work?

They're relegated to Radio Disney at this point...if anything.

And yes, I do think performances matter. When they go on the Late Night Circuit, X-Factor/AI/SYTYCD, Ellen, or other shows and hop up and down like imbeciles, the reaction will be less "OMG!" and more "WTF?"
  • C14EC14E Posts: 32,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And yes, I do think performances matter. When they go on the Late Night Circuit, X-Factor/AI/SYTYCD, Ellen, or other shows and hop up and down like imbeciles, the reaction will be less "OMG!" and more "WTF?"

I recall a similar reaction to Bieber when he did his first X Factor (mimed) performance last year. And of the many Katy Perry performances I've seen, I could count the number of decent vocals on one hand (again for XF UK - remember Firework?!). Rihanna likewise sucked live for most of her career. Britney rarely ever sang live. Taylor Swift's live efforts are notoriously "patchy", shall we say. I could go on. But there's not some kind of "higher standard" in the US, especially if you're pitching at a younger audience. They're used to vocals far worse than 1D are capable of. So long as the song gets played on radio, they'll buy it. But actually getting airplay is going to be a challenge.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    C14E wrote: »
    I recall a similar reaction to Bieber when he did his first X Factor (mimed) performance last year. And of the many Katy Perry performances I've seen, I could count the number of decent vocals on one hand (again for XF UK - remember Firework?!). Rihanna likewise sucked live for most of her career. Britney rarely ever sang live. Taylor Swift's live efforts are notoriously "patchy", shall we say. I could go on. But there's not some kind of "higher standard" in the US, especially if you're pitching at a younger audience. They're used to vocals far worse than 1D are capable of. So long as the song gets played on radio, they'll buy it. But actually getting airplay is going to be a challenge.

Those are all established, international superstars. They already have their own fanbase.

I don't think there's a higher standard in the USA either, but you have to put a product together that's relevant. The right sound + the right look, and IMO 1D has neither.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Those are all established, international superstars. They already have their own fanbase.

I don't think there's a higher standard in the USA either, but you have to put a product together that's relevant. The right sound + the right look, and IMO 1D has neither.

I'm glad you at least added In your opinion.
    They have both IMO.:)