Scariest new-era Doctor Who episode?

2»

Comments

• PiippPiipp Posts: 2,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are only two episodes (stories) that have scared me in nuWho. First one is Blink, second is The Impossible Planet/The Satan Pit. First time I watched Blink I absolutely **** myself, lol. I could scarcely bare April on my calendar this year either; the most awful image of a Weeping Angel staring over my bed every night. Those things terrify me and it's not just how they make you jump in the episodes; it's everything about how they look. Especially the eyes! Oh,and I'm 23, LOL.
  • andy1231andy1231 Posts: 5,100
    Forum Member
    Love and Monster - it was so bad it was scary !
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 955
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tom Tit wrote: »
    Well, we do have memories you know... :rolleyes:

One of my memories, for example, is finding the robot imposter Doctor from 'The Chase' with William Hartnell (this is was on VHS; I wasn't born in the 60s) horribly creepy.

I think dopplegangers, especially of trusted figures, is always a frightening thing. The scariest book I read as a child was 'Grinny'. Anyone remember that? I guess 'Coraline' would be a more recent equivalent.

I know you have memories... But memory isn't absolute for stuff like emotion, but it's the comparison that confuses me... also you're not likely to be as scared now so some people use that that to say children won't be scared...

and yes Grinny is an f-ing scary book... Nicholas Fisk is bonkers... :D
  • handymelonhandymelon Posts: 15,154
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Empty Child, Blink, Midnight and the scarecrows in Family of Blood. Brrrrrrr.....

From the classic series the things that scared me weer the Cybermen (it's the stomping walk, I think) and a robot version of Sarah Jane; she fell over, and her face dropped off to reveal machinery inside her head and just eyeballs loking out of it. I *hated* that! :eek:
    I was probably about eight or so at the time. Oh - and the Wirrn transformation scene in The Ark in Space. And the ventriloquist's dummy in The Talons of Weng Chiang, though I was a bit older then. Proper creepy!!!
  • ListentomeListentome Posts: 9,804
    Forum Member
    I enjoyed The Crimson Horror, but scary? No. Maybe to a child, in the same sense Hammer Horror scared me as a child. But I think TCH was more influenced by the psuedo horror of Carry on Screaming than anything else.:D
  • dylanpartyondylanpartyon Posts: 11,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I myself was so freaked out by Midnight!!!
  • R VR V Posts: 462
    Forum Member
    GilaGora wrote: »
    How is this even a debate? Blink hands down. Scary as hell.

Agreed....also The Girl in the Fireplace (monsters under the bed!)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 400
    Forum Member
    The Impossible Planet/Satan Pit - first time I watched it, scared the hell out of me! (excuse the pun) and Midnight. Simple but creepy.
  • Banks246Banks246 Posts: 521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have never found a Doctor who episode scary before.

But then I have never found a horror film scary before.

Mignight though was pretty intense. :)
  • AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    I've never seen the show as properly scary, which makes sense for a family-oriented series, but there's a few things that have been a little chilling;

The Empty Child story is, to me, the scariest the seven series have been. Moffat's offered some great episodes, but for scares this one leads the way by a mile :)

For me, the only scene that "shocked" me in a chilling way was in Silence in the Library. Donna's scream as she's taken from the TARDIS suddenly made me wonder if the TARDIS was the safe place it had always been, and given how ambitious Series 4 had been at that stage, I genuinely didn't know where they were going with that. :o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    andy1231 wrote: »
    Love and Monster - it was so bad it was scary !

I totaly agree. :D

Seriously, it's Silence in the Library two-parter, Midnight and Impossible Astronaut two-parter.
  • CoalHillJanitorCoalHillJanitor Posts: 15,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tom Tit wrote: »
    Well, we do have memories you know... :rolleyes:

One of my memories, for example, is finding the robot imposter Doctor from 'The Chase' with William Hartnell (this is was on VHS; I wasn't born in the 60s) horribly creepy.

I think dopplegangers, especially of trusted figures, is always a frightening thing.

You are exactly right about this. In a direct analogy, my 5-year-old son found The Bells of St John very scary because it was impossible to tell whether it was the real Doctor or the Spoonhead.
  • CallousCallous Posts: 11,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Midnight was certainly the scariest thing RTD did.

As someone who wasn't a big fan of some of the choices he made, I thought he got Midnight spot on.

it's one of the few episodes where The Doctor seemed to be in serious danger. I was surprised they never did a follow up as the insidious nature of those creatures would have made for an interesting invasion/planetary takeover story.
  • hardylanehardylane Posts: 3,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blink. Doubly so because I was chased down a corridor by a Weeping Angel in Manchester. Terrifying. I screamed. (I'm in my 40's)
  • mouseorganmouseorgan Posts: 30
    Forum Member
    Another vote for Silence in the Library. Miss Evangelista's data ghost was both chilling and sad.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I never get truly "scared" by it...same with Horror films....sure i feel the unease/eerie atmosphere and love it :D but several DW eps have left me in a sense of enease and sent chills and these are

The Impossible Astronaut/Day Of The Moon/The Wedding Of River Song - the sheer concept of the Silence creatures awe me....but i think for me they are the scariest creatures Doctor Who has created IMO....although saying that the Whispermen look set to challenge that....but the scenes in the orphanage, in the tanks, in the lavatory.....they were really genuinely eerie and unnerving!

Broken down lone Cyberman and Stone Dalek in Pandorica Opens/The Big Bang really gave a sense of unease!

ARE YOU MY MUMMY? iconic and very very errie and macabre in The EMpty Child/Doctor Dances.....loved it!

the TARDIS sequences in The Doctors Wife i found very eerie also and the image of ROry decaying over time really sent chills!

and Crimson Horror recently for that scene of 11 chained up and the image of the man dying in front of him AH! and Mister Sweet AH! brilliantly macabre

Silence In The Library/Forest Of The Dead was such a tense atmosphere mainly also for the idea of a netherworld too with distorted psycho analysis!

Yeah i think they would be my near top episodes there in terms of unnerving/scaring me.
  • joe_000joe_000 Posts: 525
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The impossible planet/satan pit. Even as an adult i found that quite scary ...the voice, the symbols on the body, possession!
  • Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mouseorgan wrote: »
    Another vote for Silence in the Library. Miss Evangelista's data ghost was both chilling and sad.

When she took off her veil and revealed her face that FREAKED me out....:eek::cry:

Also vote for Blink though, the first encounter with the Weeping Angels was definitely the best for me, one of the best episodes for me. Midnight as well, and it sounds silly but that giant beetle thing on Donna's back in Turn Left gave me the creeps too...:o
  • Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Halpen changing into an Ood in Planet of The Ood was a fairly strong scene.
    Probably Empty Child though.
  • Tom TitTom Tit Posts: 2,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'd agree that Midnight is probably the closest that the show has come to being genuinely frightening for an adult (of reasonable disposition; I'm aware there are sensitive types). I'd like to see them push towards that territory a bit more often. Why not?

I grew up watching horror films with my mum; nothing I wanted to read was censored - it fed my imagination and it desensitized me to imaginary violence so that I was no longer afraid of things that weren't real, like a television programme. A good thing, in my opinion.
  • AdelaideGirlAdelaideGirl Posts: 3,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well my niece was freaked by The End Of The World - the whole idea of the world blowing up really bothered her.

Personally I'd go with Midnight and Waters of Mars - that starkness of Adelaide having survived back to earth and then still dying because she had to.
  • krikkiter68krikkiter68 Posts: 272
    Forum Member
    Midnight, The Empty Child, The Impossible Planet and the moment the Weeping Angels attack in Blink would get my vote.