Options

Will they release each Doctor box sets, and possibly on blu ray?

YellowFishYellowFish Posts: 4,887
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Well they have done it with 9 10 and 11, so why not the classic's? It's a lot easier for me to get a box set wit every episode of that era rather than buy separate.

Also will they release future sets like Tom Baker's Time Capsule?

I have also been hooked on blu ray since i have had my Season 1-7 box set, i am going get every future episode in Blu ray and would love to get every old episode in blu ray, this would also get a lot of people in Classic era!

Do you want them to release each doctor box sets with every episode?
Do you want them to release more things like the Time Capsule?
Do you want them to release them on blu ray?

Do you think they will do this?

Sorry if this post is a little cheesy :D

Comments

• Options
    adammarc_98adammarc_98 Posts: 164
    Forum Member
    They've already done one for 3
  • Options
    CELT1987CELT1987 Posts: 12,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They've already done one for 3
    Where?:confused:
  • Options
    adammarc_98adammarc_98 Posts: 164
    Forum Member
    CELT1987 wrote: »
    Where?:confused:

Have a look online, I've definitely seen one on Amazon.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 104
    Forum Member
    One story from 3 -- Spearhead from Space -- was released on Blu-ray because it was made on film (and could therefore be remastered in HD). No other classic story has been released on Blu-ray because they all were made on videotape.
  • Options
    DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    diditagain wrote: »
    One story from 3 -- Spearhead from Space -- was released on Blu-ray because it was made on film (and could therefore be remastered in HD). No other classic story has been released on Blu-ray because they all were made on videotape.

well all of series 1-4 were SD and they released them on BluRay, by upscaling I imagine, so they could release all the classics on BluRay too! They just wouldn't be fully HD quallity, but they could get loads on one disk that way, for example a DVD Will do about 3hours of SD quality and a BluRay will do about 16.5 hours of SD quality! Its just a storage medium at the end of the day! Just think with that whole series and extras could fit on one BluRay disk! in SD quality though.
    Also in theory the Paul McGann movie could potentially be redone in HD, if they every decide to as that was filmed on 35mm.
  • Options
    grazey1985grazey1985 Posts: 1,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lotrjw wrote: »
    well all of series 1-4 were SD and they released them on BluRay, by upscaling I imagine, so they could release all the classics on BluRay too! They just wouldn't be fully HD quallity, but they could get loads on one disk that way, for example a DVD Will do about 3hours of SD quality and a BluRay will do about 16.5 hours of SD quality! Its just a storage medium at the end of the day! Just think with that whole series and extras could fit on one BluRay disk! in SD quality though.
    Also in theory the Paul McGann movie could potentially be redone in HD, if they every decide to as that was filmed on 35mm.

This is what Steve Roberts of the restoration team said on the matter of the movie on blu ray

No, don't expect one. Not ever going to happen. It would technically be possible to do (as per Star Trek: The Next Generation) but the cost of doing so could never be recouped in sales.

The problem is that although it was shot on 35mm film, it was actually edited on standard definition 525-line NTSC videotape and all the effects were done at 525-line too. There was never a finished version on film. What happened is that they shot it, then they transferred the film in SD and edited the show from there. To recreate it in HD would mean finding the film, the rescanning all of the 35mm rushes rolls in HD, matching each shot by eye to reconform to the SD version and recreating all of the video effects from scratch in HD. I don't know what the shooting ratio was on the TVM, but let's assume at least 10:1, so that's 900 minutes of HD telecine transfer to begin with. Which is even assuming you can still find all the film.

Not going to happen.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    grazey1985 wrote: »
    This is what Steve Roberts of the restoration team said on the matter of the movie on blu ray

Well the best we could get is that the SD version gets the 2:3 pulldown reversed so that its 24fps progressive and then that could be upscaled and put on BluRay!
    I know thats not really HD but it would yield better results on playback!
  • Options
    lady_xanaxlady_xanax Posts: 5,662
    Forum Member
    Wouldn't Blu-Ray just highlight the cheaper production values? I can understand the reasoning for doing it for the newer series, even the TVM, but I don't think a Blu-Ray release would dramatically improve things.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lady_xanax wrote: »
    Wouldn't Blu-Ray just highlight the cheaper production values? I can understand the reasoning for doing it for the newer series, even the TVM, but I don't think a Blu-Ray release would dramatically improve things.

maybe it wouldnt improve things a great deal but you could put 16.5 hours of SD material at MPEG 2 encoding like a DVD on a BluRay disk and 3 times as much if you do that in AVC encoding like HD on a Bluray or on TV!
    Just think 50 hours of old episodes on one Bluray disk! That would save the BBC a lot of money on disks!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    maybe it wouldnt improve things a great deal but you could put 16.5 hours of SD material at MPEG 2 encoding like a DVD on a BluRay disk and 3 times as much if you do that in AVC encoding like HD on a Bluray or on TV!
    Just think 50 hours of old episodes on one Bluray disk! That would save the BBC a lot of money on disks!

They couldn't milk the episodes though, could they?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They couldn't milk the episodes though, could they?

They could charge more though say £30 per disk as it would be about 4 series worth on 1 disk!
    It would be cheap to make too as they would only need to recompile the 4 series worth to AVC format and create a BluRay master.

They could get Jon Pertwee's 5 series' on 2 Disks, Tom Bakers 7 series' On 2 Disks, Peter Davidson's 3 series' on 1 Disk, Colin Baker's 2 series' on 1 disk, Sylvester McCoy's 3 series' on one Disk.
    Like I said before the TV movie could be upscaled and put back to 24fps for BluRay realise.
    I havent done the first 2 Doctors on this as their series are not complete so it might not work too well, but a 'Classics' boxset in BluRay could be done by putting all 26 series onto say 10 BluRay disks, including Spearhead from Space in HD and the upscaled TV movie!
    Then sell the whole thing at £150 like the 1-7 New Who boxset!
    I think it would sell as well as the New Who 1-7 boxset!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    But people won't pay £30 for a disc. It sounds like you're getting more for your money if it's a 5-disc set for £30 than a one-disc one, even if they have the same amount of episodes.
  • Options
    Dr. LinusDr. Linus Posts: 6,445
    Forum Member
    But people won't pay £30 for a disc. It sounds like you're getting more for your money if it's a 5-disc set for £30 than a one-disc one, even if they have the same amount of episodes.

Absolutely. Regardless of the contents, a one-disc release of 4 or 5 series would look incredibly sloppy and cheap - and rather confusing as well.

Also, not many people would want to buy a blu-ray that has made no effort to upscale at all. You mut remember that blu-ray is not yet the market leader and blu-ray owners are still, generally speaking, people who have an active interest in this stuff. It wouldn't wash with the majority of blu-ray users, I don't think.

And if they did it properly with 6-7 discs, one per series plus special features, the cost would be astronomical. So that won't happen either.

Nice idea in theory but couldn't see it working in practice.

EDIT: By "you", I mean the OP, obviously!
  • Options
    CAMERA OBSCURACAMERA OBSCURA Posts: 8,023
    Forum Member
    I think releasing the classics on blu ray is pretty much pointless beyond cramming more episodes on one disc.

However, as restoration technology advances I do not find it hard to imagine that eventually software will be able to take old TV material like the classics and fill in the gaps to such an extent it will be indistinguishable from actual HD shot content.

I would have no problem double dipping for that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    But I still think that HD would show up low production values. The sort of films that get put out on blu-Ray (apart from now when it seems to be the norm) are either ones where the cinematography, special effects, or aesthetics are particularly striking or it's just so much of a classic that people would buy the blu-Ray version even if there was only minimal improvement.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But I still think that HD would show up low production values. The sort of films that get put out on blu-Ray (apart from now when it seems to be the norm) are either ones where the cinematography, special effects, or aesthetics are particularly striking or it's just so much of a classic that people would buy the blu-Ray version even if there was only minimal improvement.

I would say Doctor Who falls into the latter category of being classic, the die-heard fans would see it that way bout others wouldnt!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I would say Doctor Who falls into the latter category of being classic, the die-heard fans would see it that way bout others wouldnt!

Well I am a "die-hard" fan and I can't see any possible reason to pay to see Season 24, for example, in HD. If something looks that cheap in SD, I'm not sure there's anything good waiting for you in HD.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dr. Linus wrote: »
    Well I am a "die-hard" fan and I can't see any possible reason to pay to see Season 24, for example, in HD. If something looks that cheap in SD, I'm not sure there's anything good waiting for you in HD.

Some will look better Im sure, maybe not season 24, but who knows there may be some others that have several film sections, that would look good in HD?
    That would help things, then the studio sections would just need an upscale to complete it!
    Any all studio episodes that, are part of season, that have some episodes with outside bits on film, would need upscaling, so that the whole season could be realised on BluRay.
  • Options
    Forum Member

I mean classic classic :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I mean classic classic :)

I did get you not the 'classic' as in the classic series but in 'its a classic! but the classic series are kind of both to who fans!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 109
    Forum Member
    diditagain wrote: »

So was Star Trek: The Next Generation
  • Options
    be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lilgamevlr wrote: »
    So was Star Trek: The Next Generation
    Star Trek: The Next Generation was shot on 35mm film and then edited on videotape. The vast majority of Doctor Who was shot on videotape, although some of the location scenes were shot on 16mm film. Even if the original negatives for those segments still exist, the switch from videotape to film would be even more jarring in HD. The most you would get would be a few scenes in HD.

As has already been stated, Spearhead from Space was the only classic serial to be shot entirely on 16mm film. Which is also why it is the only classic serial which could fully benefit from HD.

The 35mm film elements for the TV Movie may still exist. However, as Steve Roberts explained, reconstructing it from scratch and adding new special effects would not be economically viable.
  • Options
    TheophileTheophile Posts: 2,947
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Have you seen Sharknado? I own that on blu-ray. If that can make it onto blu-ray, then anything can. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Theophile wrote: »
    Have you seen Sharknado? I own that on blu-ray. If that can make it onto blu-ray, then anything can. :)

That's because blu-ray is the industry standard for home releases now and by releasing a DVD and a blu-ray at the same time, you are maximising the chance of blu-ray owners opting for it as opposed to DVD. Re-releasing a back catalogue is a different matter altogether, as many will already own it, as is the case with Doctor Who.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Dr. Linus wrote: »
    That's because blu-ray is the industry standard for home releases now and by releasing a DVD and a blu-ray at the same time, you are maximising the chance of blu-ray owners opting for it as opposed to DVD. Re-releasing a back catalogue is a different matter altogether, as many will already own it, as is the case with Doctor Who.

Indeedy, and the DVDs are quite pricy anyway.