Options

Gas and electric smart meters

Comments

• Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Why, what's it got to say?

Not sure yet, Item is on later, but they said people have had problems and they are costing them more.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Apparently 1 in 10 meters don't work. But of course the Smart Meter Rep says 99% of customers are happy. rolleyes
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,524
    Forum Member
    Not sure yet, Item is on later, but they said people have had problems and they are costing them more.

Why would they cost more? - you don't pay for the meter, you pay for the gas and electricity used - they don't charge you more for having a smart meter.
  • Options
    davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,636
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watchdog is doing an item about Smart Meters on the show now. Looks like it was good that I didn't have mine installed.

Wasn't aware of this being on. I always used to watch Watchdog. I'll have to catch up with it later.
  • Options
    Mr DosMr Dos Posts: 3,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The word 'hacked' is misused in a similar fashion to the word 'photoshop' - by people who wouldn't recognise either if it slapped them in the face.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Wasn't aware of this being on. I always used to watch Watchdog. I'll have to catch up with it later.

The good news is that Sophie Raworth has replaced Annie. :)
  • Options
    davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,636
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Even more of a reason to watch it. :) I can still remember when she was on our local BBC news Look North, when I really enjoyed watching her, so we saw her before the rest of the nation. Cheers, I'll be watching every week from now on.
  • Options
    daveyfsdaveyfs Posts: 1,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is not compulsory to accept a smart meter, as British Gas says here.
  • Options
    ianradioianianradioian Posts: 74,938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'll keep my normal Meter that's been here since the 1970s. Works fine,they read it, bill me, I pay it..... so new!
  • Options
    AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll keep my normal Meter that's been here since the 1970s. Works fine,they read it, bill me, I pay it..... so new!
    If it's been there that long it may now be inaccurate. You could be being overcharged.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Andrue wrote: »
    If it's been there that long it may now be inaccurate. You could be being overcharged.

Or undercharged :D
  • Options
    njpnjp Posts: 27,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seems unlikely. I think the maximum certification life for any UK electricity meter is 20 years.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    njp wrote: »
    Seems unlikely. I think the maximum certification life for any UK electricity meter is 20 years.

What about gas meters? - mines pre-metric - they have continually failed to manage to replace it due to their total incompetence.

My electric meter has been changed twice now though.
  • Options
    jackthomjackthom Posts: 6,638
    Forum Member

Now there's a big incentive to start watching it again. Annie was very good in her day but we all have to face retirement sooner or later.
  • Options
    Jellied EelJellied Eel Posts: 33,091
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mr Dos wrote: »
    The word 'hacked' is misused in a similar fashion to the word 'photoshop' - by people who wouldn't recognise either if it slapped them in the face.

Luckily this chappie does-

https://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~rja14/Papers/JSAC-draft.pdf

One of the issues with 'smart' meter security is interests aren't aligned, ie energy companies idea of security is different to consumers. Hence why you won't see any compensation when it all goes titsup.
  • Options
    Mr DosMr Dos Posts: 3,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The word 'hacking' has lost all meaning due to misuse -

The phone hacking scandal involved no hacking at all - merely trying the default pin to access voicemail.

Click bait articles such as 'peel an orange in 2 secs with this simple hack', 'beat the 5p plastic bag surcharge with this simple hack' etc.

Accessing a neighbour's unsecured wifi is considered 'hacking'.

Hacking nowadays just means doing something . . .
  • Options
    Bill ClintonBill Clinton Posts: 9,389
    Forum Member
    What if you've got a key meter?
  • Options
    njpnjp Posts: 27,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What about gas meters? - mines pre-metric - they have continually failed to manage to replace it due to their total incompetence.

My electric meter has been changed twice now though.
    This is interesting. It turns out (*) that gas meters do not have a certified life. Instead, around 5% of the stock are subject to "policy exchanges" each year. That's about a million meters. So it seems that you could continue to "evade" a meter exchange indefinitely, but on average you would expect your gas meter to be replaced every 20 years.

Electricity meters can have a certified life as short as ten years.

(*) According to the one source I checked, which I haven't tried to verify against other sources, but which looks credible.
  • Options
    Javier_deVivreJavier_deVivre Posts: 1,390
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What if you've got a key meter?

Smart Meters can be used on pre-pay. I have them, although it is not a key meter anymore because it uses a card now, same as the gas, rather than a key.
  • Options
    gulliverfoylegulliverfoyle Posts: 6,318
    Forum Member
    Im putting them off as long as poss

they are a bunch of clowns

they changed my mechanical meter after 40 yrs of service and completerly ballsed my billing up

as they couldnt update there database despite me telling them for 6 mnths and giving them the number 35 times

when i spoke to the head engineer he said theyre not allowed to do it themselves and it was a common problem

took a ofgem complaint for them to type in a 9 digit number into there billing computer
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

they changed my mechanical meter after 40 yrs of service and completerly ballsed my billing up

as they couldnt update there database despite me telling them for 6 mnths and giving them the number 35 times

when i spoke to the head engineer he said theyre not allowed to do it themselves and it was a common problem

took a ofgem complaint for them to type in a 9 digit number into there billing computer

You'd think they be ashamed of the 'Computer says 'No'' excuse.
  • Options
    GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just had mine fitted (SSE), its great seeing the wattage go up/down when you turn things on/off, im only using 4/5p an hr :D
  • Options
    GPWGPW Posts: 3,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Had mine fitted on Friday (both electric & gas) as I already paid monthly, I will keep a close eye the readings.
  • Options
    ProjectionistProjectionist Posts: 1,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm waiting for a financial bribe to change the meter - until they do that - the old meters stay put.
  • Options
    Isambard BrunelIsambard Brunel Posts: 6,598
    Forum Member
    Grouty wrote: »
    its great seeing the wattage go up/down when you turn things on/off

Like when you got your first washing machine and abandoned television in favour of crouching in front of the drum and watching it go around and around all night.... for the first two weeks before the novelty wore off.