Options

Game of Thrones Season 3 - (for those who have read ALL the Books) - SPOILERS.

Comments

• Options
    roseguy64roseguy64 Posts: 15
    Forum Member
    An argument against Jon Snow being the child of Lyanna and Rhaegar...

"The seed is strong"

Surely Jon would look like a Targaryen if this was the case.

Saying that I do like the theory a lot.
    Corwin wrote: »
    The seed is strong referred to Baratheon children not Targs.

Yes a lot of Targs do get the silver hair violet eyes look (especially if both their parents are Targs) but not all of them.

We are actually told that Rhaegars daughter took after her mother (from Dorne) in looks so it's totally possible that Jon takes after his mother (and looks like a Stark).

Some of Aegon Targaryen IV's bastards didn't have the full Targ characteristics. Bloodraven was an albino with red eyes, Bittersteel had dark hair with the Targ eyes while Shiera Seastar had the Targ hair but mismatched eyes. She only had the hair because her mother was of Valyrian heritage. His other known bastard Daemon Blackfyre had the Targaryen characteristics but that was mainly because his mother was also Targaryen.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    on the whole, love the latest episode. espedcially jaime/brienne! forever awesome.

but two things bugged me - 1. stannis. wtf? just wtf?? that's not even recognisably the same man as in the books.
    2. thormund climbing the wall!! ummm...WHY? thormund has a large role to play in jon's arc in DWD and incredably likely beyond as well. but everyone who climbed the wall/attacked castle black died, save jon (either because of the wall, or because of jon getting there first, warning the others, and fighting them off). so jon was the only survivor from that escapade, and thormund - a great leader of the free folk and mance's second in command - was a necessity for him to treat with when the time came to get the wildlings on side. thormund really became jon's right hand man.
    airgo, his role in remaining north of the wall was pretty important. why not just intoduce jarl or styr? they'll die anyway!!
  • Options
    CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They are only having Tormund take 20 men (i think) rather than the hundred that went over the wall in the book.

I'm guessing that they will lose a couple on the Wall and then Jon kills a couple more (possibly including Ygritte) when he escapes at Queenscrown.

With Jon escaping to warn Castle Black I can see Tormund not going ahead with the attack and just talking his remaining men back over the wall.

They are really getting Meta with their jokes for the book fans. The other week we had Cersei saying she had heard Tyrions nose had been cut off and this week we learn the Meeranese Knot is a sex position. :D (that only Pixie Le Knot can do apparently),
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It really feels like the last two episodes were a big set up for this one. It's been excruciating watching the show and not getting to the awesome bits that we know are coming up!!!
  • Options
    burton07burton07 Posts: 10,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What was all that rubbish about Pod and the ****. It wasted 10 minutes and was just an excuse for a bit of nudity. It didn't contribute to the story in any way.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 104
    Forum Member
    I am a little confused about the Theon storyline tbh, I know he becomes Reek, however this storyline is suggesting otherwise, so far...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JB86 wrote: »
    I am a little confused about the Theon storyline tbh, I know he becomes Reek, however this storyline is suggesting otherwise, so far...

Not really it's just combining a couple of plot elements from different points of the Theon storyline.

In a ADWD we are told of an early escape attempt Theon (and Kyra) make from the Dreadfort only to find out that they were let go so Ramsay could hunt them down.

This was what we saw in the latest episode.

The only difference is that Ramsay is still playing the Reek role from Clash of Kings rather than Theon knowing who he is.
  • Options
    Gaz22Gaz22 Posts: 18,952
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not really it's just combining a couple of plot elements from different points of the Theon storyline.

In a ADWD we are told of an early escape attempt Theon (and Kyra) make from the Dreadfort only to find out that they were let go so Ramsay could hunt them down.

This was what we saw in the latest episode.

The only difference is that Ramsay is still playing the Reek role from Clash of Kings rather than Theon knowing who he is.

Yeah, it does sound like that's whats happening. The reveal will be big as he is pretty thoughtful and "nice" now but we all know from the books what kind of character Ramsey Bolton is. :eek:

Going from Simon from Misfits into one of the most vile and evil people in Westeros. :eek: :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They are only having Tormund take 20 men (i think) rather than the hundred that went over the wall in the book.

I'm guessing that they will lose a couple on the Wall and then Jon kills a couple more (possibly including Ygritte) when he escapes at Queenscrown.

With Jon escaping to warn Castle Black I can see Tormund not going ahead with the attack and just talking his remaining men back over the wall.

They are really getting Meta with their jokes for the book fans. The other week we had Cersei saying she had heard Tyrions nose had been cut off and this week we learn the Meeranese Knot is a sex position. :D (that only Pixie Le Knot can do apparently),

yeah i guess the difference in numbers is a very good point. thormund had better go back over that wall, but i still think it's a huge mistake sending him in the first place. he and jon are very good friends, and that bond is pretty crucial in DWD. i just can't see it playing the same way if it's him that jon rebells/turns against and his men that he kills...his mission that he completely f***s up!

and i've noticed that about the dialogue too:D it's a nice touch! there was something else they slipped in as well but i can't remember hust now. i also like how some of the dialogue is straight from the conversations in the book. jorah's speach about rhaegar is a good one..."rhaegar fought nobably. rhaegar fought honourably. and rhargar died."
    JB86 wrote: »

you have to remember that theon disappeared for a little while in the books. a lot of what happened to him happened "offscreen" and it was only much later that we learned about it. when we met up with him again he had already been horrendously tortured, and already trained into being reek. this is only the beginning of that storyarc which readers didn't actually get to see.

basically, ramsay's just playing. he's screwing with him and having his fun with it...and the show is screwing with non-book readers!! "winter is coming"????:p
  • Options
    kimotagkimotag Posts: 11,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gaz22 wrote: »
    Yeah, it does sound like that's whats happening. The reveal will be big as he is pretty thoughtful and "nice" now but we all know from the books what kind of character Ramsey Bolton is. :eek:

Going from Simon from Misfits into one of the most vile and evil people in Westeros. :eek: :D

Isn't he just? GRRM has often said that there are no wholly good or bad characters in his books, but Ramsey, like Gregor Clegane, seems to have no redeeming features at all!
  • Options
    srhDSsrhDS Posts: 2,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    scamrasc wrote: »
    1. stannis. wtf? just wtf?? that's not even recognisably the same man as in the books.
    I saw this comment yesterday and I thought "hmm, he seems close to the books to me" Then I saw last night's episode with the whimpering Stannis on the beach begging Mel to stay and I thought (like you) WTF?
    I grew to quite like Stannis in the books, but here I'm not so sure.
    2. thormund climbing the wall!! ummm...WHY? thormund has a large role to play in jon's arc in DWD

I guess this gives them some screen time together to let that friendship develop. I assume the attack will still go ahead but either Jon talks him into giving up or maybe saves his life from one of the crows and takes him prisoner. Either way I doubt he'll die in the attack on Castle Black.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    srhDS wrote: »
    I saw this comment yesterday and I thought "hmm, he seems close to the books to me" Then I saw last night's episode with the whimpering Stannis on the beach begging Mel to stay and I thought (like you) WTF?
    I grew to quite like Stannis in the books, but here I'm not so sure.

I guess this gives them some screen time together to let that friendship develop. I assume the attack will still go ahead but either Jon talks him into giving up or maybe saves his life from one of the crows and takes him prisoner. Either way I doubt he'll die in the attack on Castle Black.

yeah but he's got to get back over the wall again. in the absence of mance, tormund is the main man that jon must treat with as the leader. he and val are both pretty crucial in winning the wildlings over to jon.....and if tormund's there in the thick of it, essentially witnessing jon betray him, then idk, i think that hinders their bond somewhat....
  • Options
    thefairydandythefairydandy Posts: 3,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    some people have refuted rhaegarXlyanna on the basis that it's too obvious....but it's not. it's only obvious once it's been pointed out, at which point the lightbulb's switched on - and it took the internet having several different people who spent years trawling through the text gathering the clues together to even form the theory at all. and even at that....it's still just a fan theory working off of tiny little clues hidden throughout all the books. it's not (yet) canon, and put out there by GRRM. it's not even hinted at slightly by any of the characters within the books that lyanna could have had a child. off the top of my head, i can think of at least 7 people i know firsthand who have read all the books, but don't go to the internet. none of them have clocked r+l=j at all....they simply accepted that eddard had a bastard child with wylla and then dismissed it. that's more representative of the vast majority of readers - it's only a minority who spend extra time on it and go to the internet to discuss it. a tiny minority.
    the rest shall have their mind blown.:)

Well me and my sister both separately had it sussed in the first book. In the first hundred pages I did think that Jon was Lyanna and Eddard's son because a) incest seemed to be fine and dandy with most people, and b) I thought there was maybe irony in Jon saying he was a Snow not a Stark if he were doubly Stark. As it was, I thought he was obviously Lyanna's son, and the Rhaegar thing fell into place soon enough after that if you look for someone else who may just happened to have spent enough time with her for it to happen.

I think there's more than enough stuff in the first book to come to that conclusion, then when I went to the internet afterwards there was double the amount of stuff on top of that.

EDIT: FYI on the 'bed of blood' and 'bloody bed' references for Lyanna, I thought they were obvious for a different reason, in that Mirri Maaz Dur calls theem 'the secrets of the bloody bed' when she talks about acting midwife for Dany.
  • Options
    ally08ally08 Posts: 34,709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree that the Stannis we saw this week was not the Stannis of the books but that scene almost felt like it was put in there to remind us that he existed and I'm just going to ignore it. ;)

He doesn't really have a lot to do until he heads North and with Melisandre off on her holidays I do wonder when we are going to see him again, especially since they seem to have knocked the Edric Storm stuff on the head.

He isn't my favourite character but I do love Stephen Dillane a lot so would be sad if he was little more than a bit player this series.

Loved this weeks episode though, hightlights were Arya and Gendry saying goodbye to Hot Pie, of course anything with Jaime (RIP his sword hand) and Brienne and especially the opening scene in the small council.

I just loved it.

I didn't mind the whorehouse scenes either, bit gratuitous but the final scene with Bron, Tyrion and Pod was worth it.

Also Lord Twatbeard is my new favourite insult, Bron gets all the best lines.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ally08 wrote: »

I do wonder when we are going to see him again,

Well his Wife and Daughter have been cast so with Mel out of the way he might have the time to go and visit them :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just realised that Mel meets up with Thoros this series doesn't she?

Does that mean that she is going to come into contact with Gendry at some point?

He is one of the few people left with Baratheon blood isn't he, I'm sure they will want to use him more as well.

Or with the tallk of people with Stannis's blood in their veins was she threatening his daughter?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just realised that Mel meets up with Thoros this series doesn't she?

Does that mean that she is going to come into contact with Gendry at some point?

He is one of the few people left with Baratheon blood isn't he, I'm sure they will want to use him more as well.

Or with the tallk of people with Stannis's blood in their veins was she threatening his daughter?

I think the speculation is that Gendry will serve the purpose of the not included Edric Storm from the books
  • Options
    CadivaCadiva Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the speculation is that Gendry will serve the purpose of the not included Edric Storm from the books

That's my understanding as well, they've not cast anyone as Edric Storm so Gendry's taking over that aspect of the story regarding Rob's bastards.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That would make sense really, on a purely shallow note I approve as long as he takes his top off a lot.
  • Options
    srhDSsrhDS Posts: 2,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cadiva wrote: »
    That's my understanding as well, they've not cast anyone as Edric Storm so Gendry's taking over that aspect of the story regarding Rob's bastards.

If Stannis recognises Gendry as Robert's bastard will that mean he'llbecome Gendry King (or whatever bastards from King's Landing get called)?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    srhDS wrote: »
    If Stannis recognises Gendry as Robert's bastard will that mean he'llbecome Gendry King (or whatever bastards from King's Landing get called)?

If Stannis acknowledges him he would then have the right to call himself Gendry Waters.

A lot of book readers call him this anyway but they shouldn't.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loved this weeks episode though, hightlights were Arya and Gendry saying goodbye to Hot Pie, of course anything with Jaime (RIP his sword hand) and Brienne and especially the opening scene in the small council.

I just loved it.

I didn't mind the whorehouse scenes either, bit gratuitous but the final scene with Bron, Tyrion and Pod was worth it.

Also Lord Twatbeard is my new favourite insult, Bron gets all the best lines.

My favourite scene was the one with the chairs. :D Beautiful - and with barely a word spoken.

And yes - that whorehouse scene had me a bit :eek: as I watch it with a couple of teenagers - all I could think was "I hope she has some pants on!" :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gendry Waters

Not sure if that sounds more like an idyllic village or an unfortunate bladder disease...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the Stannis scene was more to show the power that Mellisandre has over him at the moment. She says herself 'Your fires are burning low'. He isn't himself and the 'wanting' of her was to show how weak he has become in losing the battle.

We never see Stannis in this state because we only ever see things from Davos' point of view whilst locked in the dungeons. Once he comes out and Mellisandre has been away from Stannis for a while, bringing him a decision that he cannot bear to go through with we will see Stannis become himself once more and raise Davos to Hand of the King so he can learn to read, probably ready for a final episode cliffhanger of him reading a hastily scrawled note from The Wall
  • Options
    Gaz22Gaz22 Posts: 18,952
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hope they keep Stannis going to the Wall a relative surprise. It was a brilliant reveal in the books and I remember being shocked when it happened. Especially given the timing with Jon.