DS Forums

Eurovision 2017 - The UK entry...

Old 29-01-2017, 22:22
Roy D Hacksaw
Forum Member

Brexit?

Bit of luck we've got Albania, Macedonia, Montenegro, Serbia, Switzerland, Iceland, Norway, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Georgia, Israel, Russia, Moldova, Australia and San Marino (kinda) in the contest... as well a continent of saturday night showbiz TV viewers who couldn't give a jot about politics and just vote for the songs they like.
Roy D Hacksaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 29-01-2017, 23:43
Alan_Cole
Forum Member

There's a very positive response to Lucie and the UK entry on twitter, plenty from outside the UK too which is very refreshing to see.
Alan_Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2017, 13:36
bumpandgrind
Forum Member

For me the song is pretty unremarkable. Great singer but it doesn't stand out. That said, a dance remix of it would actually work wonders.

It'll come down to the staging. I've never quite understood why we don't make more of an effort on the staging. The boys last year had a photo montage behind them - compare that to Russia and Australia and you suddenly see why is faded into the background.

A single singer on stage can work (as people have said, Paloma Faith at the Brits with the rain was amazing), but I suspect they'll do nothing particularly special and instead emphasise that it's a "stripped back" performance.

We have three minutes to grab the attention of the audience and do not have the advantage of a semi final performance to give familiarity.

Stripped back = uneventful in my book.

Then we have the whole Brexit debarcle. Regardless of people saying politics has no role, I think there is a lot of anti-GB sentiment across the continent at the moment and it will show in the way people vote.
bumpandgrind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2017, 16:41
starry
Forum Member

I don't understand why EU flags get waved around at Eurovision, it's got nothing to do with the EU.
starry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2017, 21:37
bumpandgrind
Forum Member

I don't understand why EU flags get waved around at Eurovision, it's got nothing to do with the EU.
Because the EU flag is symbolic.
bumpandgrind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2017, 23:55
stevecw
Forum Member

Out of the 6, definitely thought Freedom Hearts was the best and should have won.
Was only song that kinda stands out & does stay in your head after.
Was a good chance for UK to get top 10 at least, with Lucie it'll probably be bottom 6 again.
stevecw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 09:36
starry
Forum Member

On the song, it doesn't sound anything special at this point. But those it competed against sounded pretty bad, so it was like it was meant to win.

Because the EU flag is symbolic.
Obviously. All flags are symbolic, and it's symbolic of the EU, which again has nothing to do with Eurovision.
Old 01-02-2017, 16:30
James_Gregory1
Forum Member

I have just listened to the UK entry and it sounds good with potential. Perhaps could do with a bit more soul and power.

Midway through, I thought it had the potential to sound like 'Let It Go' if was rearranged better and with some original lyrics because I have heard too many songs with same kind of lyrics trying to send out the same message.

I might of sounded a bit mad with my suggestions above but mainly it needed more power and soul. It will be better off as a power ballad with a lot of soul in it.
James_Gregory1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 20:11
vauxhall1964
Forum Member

For me the song is pretty unremarkable. Great singer but it doesn't stand out.

I think there is a lot of anti-GB sentiment across the continent at the moment and it will show in the way people vote.
Your first statement is correct. And undermines your second.

Your second statement is incorrect and is made redundant by your first.
vauxhall1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 22:46
.:Tom:.
Forum Member

I vote for Lucie. I think her song could still work. I'm encouraged that she says her and the record producers are looking into a rework. There is a great potential hook in there with -

This madness, were running through
This magic, its inside of you

Get some repetition in with that instead of the laboured chorus, beef up the music itself with some strings and synths maybe even a modern deep house beat and if possible, leave room for a bridge before the final big note chorus.

Did a rough remix using audacity doing this and it worked well, might look at doing a proper version with fruitloops studio.
.:Tom:. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 09:44
starry
Forum Member

I have doubts they would do something as extensive as that. But reworking the chorus is a must for me.
Old 02-02-2017, 09:50
Pandora.
Forum Member

I've seen lots of people asking for a dance beat to be added to the song - what's wrong with leaving it as a ballad? 9 times out of 10 they only cheapen a song, and the general obsession with them around here is tiresome.

(That said, it's just a general observation and I don't mean to sound rude. I'd be interested in hearing Tom's remix to see if it does make a positive change.)
Pandora. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 16:01
.:Tom:.
Forum Member

^ I'll get around to sharing it.

It's more of a deep house beat which I think suits Lucie's voice and the song structure, it just brings a more contemporary feel and richness.
.:Tom:. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 16:47
Roy D Hacksaw
Forum Member

I'd be interested to hear it...
Roy D Hacksaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 01:29
sugarloaf
Forum Member

Out of the 6, definitely thought Freedom Hearts was the best and should have won.
Was only song that kinda stands out & does stay in your head after.
Was a good chance for UK to get top 10 at least, with Lucie it'll probably be bottom 6 again.
Freedom Hearts was the best too imo. Liked Lucie's song second; she has a great 'Eurovision' type voice.
sugarloaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 20:36
MARTYM8
Forum Member

Brexit?

Bit of luck we've got Albania, Macedonia, Montenegro, Serbia, Switzerland, Iceland, Norway, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Georgia, Israel, Russia, Moldova, Australia and San Marino (kinda) in the contest... as well a continent of saturday night showbiz TV viewers who couldn't give a jot about politics and just vote for the songs they like.
And of course who won the televote last year - Russia!

Not exactly big fans of the EU are they and vice versa - but it was the strongest song and they spent money on the performance and so it got lots of votes.
MARTYM8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 22:22
Steven_P
Forum Member

Italy's monkey really should win!
Steven_P is offline   Reply With Quote