DS Forums

The Life Of Rock With Brian Pern BBC4 10 pm Monday

Old 17-12-2014, 09:44
swingaleg
Forum Member

I loved the way the script worked in Jeff Wayne being in the studio next door and him just choosing to use a different star of the Wild Geese. Inspired.
I've always thought War of the Worlds was by Jeff Lynne form ELO........
swingaleg is online now   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 17-12-2014, 09:48
D_Peugeot
Forum Member

It's on BBC2 now.

I love it, Michael Kitchen is brilliant in it.
Surprising. I've not seen it advertised anywhere, had it not been for this thread I'd have missed it completely.
D_Peugeot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2014, 10:55
Heston Veston
Forum Member

Wonder if "The Day of the Triffids" musical is a subtle (or unsubtle) poke at Genesis's "Return of the Giant Hogweed"?
Heston Veston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2014, 10:59
D_Peugeot
Forum Member

Wonder if "The Day of the Triffids" musical is a subtle (or unsubtle) poke at Genesis's "Return of the Giant Hogweed"?
I think it was meant to parody Wayne's "War of the Worlds".
D_Peugeot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2014, 11:03
Eddie Badger
Forum Member

Roger Moore was very good
You mean George Lazenby Melvin Bragg was good too.
Eddie Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2014, 11:24
gomezz
Forum Member

It is and had Richard Burton as the narrator in the stage presentation who was also in the film Wild Geese with Roger Moore.
gomezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2014, 12:13
johnythefox
Forum Member

First time I've belly-laughed at a comedy for some time.

I thought the first series was a bit cliched and too much like spinal tap, but this series (especially last night's) is more acutely observed, and played to perfection.

I think maybe you have to have your own experiences of acts like Genesis, Pink Floyd, Jeff Wayne etc to really appreciate the absurdity of it, but I would hope the humour is universal.

Oh, and Roger Moore was just brilliant, wasn't he? .
johnythefox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2014, 12:38
mike65
Forum Member

It is and had Richard Burton as the narrator in the stage presentation who was also in the film Wild Geese with Roger Moore.
No it isn't. Jeff Wayne
mike65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2014, 13:55
surfsnake
Forum Member

I absolutely love this show. Everything from the well-observed pee taking of the 70s, to the mis-captioning of the talking heads.

I loved series one and yet it was only my mate telling me that series 2 was on that I knew about it. Poor marketing by the BBC who will no doubt use low viewing figures as a reason for not making a third series. Grrrrrr.

Well done to all involved!!
surfsnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2014, 14:00
surfsnake
Forum Member

I must have had a humour bypass. I thought the first series was terrible, but tried again after reading one or two enthusiastic reviews.

It makes Count Arthur Strong seem like a masterpiece.
Full marks to you for at least trying again It just goes to show how subjective comedy is. Personally I love this and can't stand other shows which people find "hilarious".

Thank goodness for diversity. I don't think you've had a bypass - just that it didn't tickle your particular funny bone.
surfsnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2014, 14:16
DangerBrother
Inactive Member

Needs more tittybiscuits.
DangerBrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2014, 14:22
JT2060
Inactive Member

Complicated by the fact that Jeff Lynne and Carl Wayne were in both the Move and ELO.
JT2060 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2014, 15:01
barbeler
Forum Member

Full marks to you for at least trying again It just goes to show how subjective comedy is. Personally I love this and can't stand other shows which people find "hilarious".

Thank goodness for diversity. I don't think you've had a bypass - just that it didn't tickle your particular funny bone.
I think the main problem for me was Simon Day, who I just can't imagine having ever been a rock star. I'm sure someone will say that's part of the joke, but I've always found him particularly unfunny. For a parody of the music biz, I thought The Young Person's Guide To Becoming A Rock Star was infinitely superior. Now that did make me laugh.
barbeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2014, 15:27
gomezz
Forum Member

TBH Simon Day could do a passable imitation of the ghost of Syd Barrett when he visited the studio when Pink Floyd were recording Wish You Were Here.
gomezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2014, 15:56
Ex Pat
Forum Member

I'm not the type to laugh out loud usually, even when watching my fave comedies, but this had me in stitches at times.
Saw the first series but missed last week thanks to a lack of awareness.
Ex Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2014, 16:50
Virgil Tracy
Forum Member

TBH Simon Day could do a passable imitation of the ghost of Syd Barrett when he visited the studio when Pink Floyd were recording Wish You Were Here.
he reminds me of Brian Eno .
Virgil Tracy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2014, 17:23
Evil Genius
Forum Member

I loved the random name drop for Then Jericho.
So did I. I burst out laughing at that bit.

First (The Sound of Music) and The Big Area are classic albums. They gigged at my college back in the day.

Then Jerico btw....
Indeed. When they reformed with the original line-up, I went to see them at a Big Area 2012 gig where they played the whole of The Big Area and the following years Reprise gig. Both gigs were fantastic.

Shame they've acrimoniously split again.
Evil Genius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2014, 18:30
Inkblot
Forum Member

I think the main problem for me was Simon Day, who I just can't imagine having ever been a rock star.
He's not bad but I think this would have been better with Michael Kitchen's cynical agent as the main character and Brian Pern and the warring band members given less screen time. The prog rock jokes obviously work for some people but a lot of them were done back in the day, for example in the NME which mercilessly sent up the pretentious excesses of pompous rock stars: Rick Wakeman's penchant for eating a curry on stage whilst playing one of his overblown compositions, for example.

Coincidentally given this show's African storyline, the latest Mojo magazine mentions Hawkwind's flautist Nik Turner recording an album inside the Great Pyramid of Giza. In rock music truth is often stranger than comedy.
Inkblot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2014, 19:02
Heston Veston
Forum Member

He's not bad but I think this would have been better with Michael Kitchen's cynical agent as the main character and Brian Pern and the warring band members given less screen time. The prog rock jokes obviously work for some people but a lot of them were done back in the day, for example in the NME which mercilessly sent up the pretentious excesses of pompous rock stars: Rick Wakeman's penchant for eating a curry on stage whilst playing one of his overblown compositions, for example.

Coincidentally given this show's African storyline, the latest Mojo magazine mentions Hawkwind's flautist Nik Turner recording an album inside the Great Pyramid of Giza. In rock music truth is often stranger than comedy.
Pedantic note - Wakeman had the curry because he was bored with having nothing much to do at some point during Yes's "Tales From Topographic Oceans" - which he had no part in composing.

Heston Veston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2014, 19:09
Inkblot
Forum Member

Pedantic note - Wakeman had the curry because he was bored with having nothing much to do at some point during Yes's "Tales From Topographic Oceans" - which he had no part in composing.

Good point, and that makes the story funnier than the way I remembered it.
Inkblot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2014, 19:50
degsyhufc
Forum Member

Another cracking episode with some great bits.

I don't know how to say this some i'm going to do it in French

and that waxwork that looked like a mummified body.

Quite apt that in the week after the breastfeeding furore the clip of The Wright Show had a woman breastfeeding and a gawping man
degsyhufc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2014, 00:13
Ethics Grad
Forum Member

Yes, I'm sure that's in the mix. "The War of the Worlds" was the explicit target, but once you've decided to go for the idea of a sci-fi novel based concept album, using "Day of the Triffids" is brilliant for Peter Gabriel - oops, Brian Pern.

I speak as someone with 'War of the Worlds' (book and album), Day of the Triffids, Nursery Cryme and Genesis Live. Heraclea mantegazianni!
Ethics Grad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2014, 20:45
montyburns56
Forum Member

For a parody of the music biz, I thought The Young Person's Guide To Becoming A Rock Star was infinitely superior. Now that did make me laugh.
I watched that again on a TV streaming site a few years ago and it was just as funny as I remember! It starred a very young Gerard Butler as well!
montyburns56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2014, 20:49
Verence
Forum Member

Nice use of footage from the BBC version of Day Of The Triffids from the 80s
Verence is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2014, 22:09
mike65
Forum Member

Nearly didn't spot that the final episode is on tonight at 10.30
mike65 is offline   Reply With Quote