DS Forums

Sky Arts PORTRAIT Artist of the year is back!!!

Old 17-02-2017, 11:46
sofakat
Forum Member

I too thought Jamie's portrait was the best. It really captured something more than just a resemblance. However, I understand why they went for Gary. Maybe the NPG Ireland aren't ready for Graham Norton on a cupboard door with a concrete background. Their loss.
NPG Gallery Ireland would actually embrace his work wholeheartedly. It's an amazing gallery and Dublin is and always has been a city for artists, both classic and very avantgarde. It lives, eats and breathes art. I grew up there, in the midst of the art world (my father was an artist and architect) and knew most if not all of the great Irish painters because they were family friends.

I can also imagine what they'd say about the judges! There would be a lot of snorting going on!
sofakat is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 17-02-2017, 16:40
mustard99
Forum Member

NPG Gallery Ireland would actually embrace his work wholeheartedly. It's an amazing gallery and Dublin is and always has been a city for artists, both classic and very avantgarde. It lives, eats and breathes art. I grew up there, in the midst of the art world (my father was an artist and architect) and knew most if not all of the great Irish painters because they were family friends.

I can also imagine what they'd say about the judges! There would be a lot of snorting going on!
Oh dangnabbit sofakat - that was the only comfort I took for Jamie not winning this week!!

I should stop trying to forgive the judges for poor decisions.

Your life in Dublin sounds delightful and fascinating - write it.
mustard99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2017, 11:17
sofakat
Forum Member

Oh dangnabbit sofakat - that was the only comfort I took for Jamie not winning this week!!

I should stop trying to forgive the judges for poor decisions.

Your life in Dublin sounds delightful and fascinating - write it.
Sorry, so sorry mustard

But you know, he is so good his star will rise anyway. Wasn't his portrait the one that Ben Okri chose? That's a fine wall to hang on.

x
sofakat is offline   Reply With Quote