Options

could missy be Claras mum & saying I have chosen well refers to the doctor not clara

garbage456garbage456 Posts: 8,225
Forum Member
any ideas?

Comments

• Options
    saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No. She couldn't possibly be Claras mum and the line was clearly directed at Clara.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    No. She couldn't possibly be Claras mum and the line was clearly directed at Clara.

its just that the way she says it, clara, my clara, i have chosen well
  • Options
    saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe Clara never had a mum.
  • Options
    Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, it's a theory. And it is yours.

(sorry, just channeling Anne Elk there. Cleese never looked more beautiful)
  • Options
    brotonsbabybrotonsbaby Posts: 835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Interesting idea...I said something similar (in jest partly) on 7th September

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost.php?p=74677618&postcount=32
  • Options
    Jules_ThornleyJules_Thornley Posts: 2,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Possible interpretation but I suspect not. I do feel it was Missy referring to Clara as a choice she made. Clara was the choice. Why? And what for? No idea. But suspect the doctor knows something's up. Someone else pointed out that the reason why episodes have been 'Clara-centric' is exactly because the Doctor is testing her.. He knows something is odd (again) with Clara?
    What's clear is that this series has a few odd things going on that haven't quite pieced together yet. Even the way the doctor has been responding to Clara is odd in that he seems to be constantly challenging her..
  • Options
    FATCHOPSFATCHOPS Posts: 626
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    garbage456 wrote: »
    any ideas?

Cool theory. I'd like that.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 217
    Forum Member
    Possible interpretation but I suspect not. I do feel it was Missy referring to Clara as a choice she made. Clara was the choice. Why? And what for? No idea. But suspect the doctor knows something's up. Someone else pointed out that the reason why episodes have been 'Clara-centric' is exactly because the Doctor is testing her.. He knows something is odd (again) with Clara?
    What's clear is that this series has a few odd things going on that haven't quite pieced together yet. Even the way the doctor has been responding to Clara is odd in that he seems to be constantly challenging her..

You could be right. Maybe Missy is planning some way for Clara to try to take over the Doctor's role somehow? Or can use Clara somehow so Missy can be in control?
    I know, a bit far fetched, but Clara has been totally enjoying trying to play the Doctor and make decisions, and maybe Missy can use that "want"-so to speak- against the Doctor somehow. Should be interesting to find out exactly what is going on and where Clara and Danny fit into the scheme of things. What is the scheme?? ha ha

But I suspect that the Doctor knows something is up.

Anyway, I did get the impression that Clara was chosen by Missy, but -as you say- whatever for?
  • Options
    Dave-HDave-H Posts: 9,940
    Forum Member
    Maybe Clara never had a mum.
    Didn't we see Clara's now deceased mother in one of those red button teasers, the one with the Doctor talking to her on a playground swing when she was a young girl?
    :)
  • Options
    CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dave-H wrote: »
    Didn't we see Clara's now deceased mother in one of those red button teasers, the one with the Doctor talking to her on a playground swing when she was a young girl?
    :)

She was in the Rings of Akhaten as well.
  • Options
    Dave-HDave-H Posts: 9,940
    Forum Member
    Indeed she was, in the flashback scenes at the start.
    My memory obviously failed to recall that particular not-so-fondly-remembered episode!
    :D
  • Options
    doormouse1doormouse1 Posts: 5,431
    Forum Member
    Why would Clara's mum refer to the Doctor as 'my boyfriend' then?
    Surely it's VERY weird for any mum to want their daughter involved with someone she regards as a boyfriend ?

I think you are barking up the wrong tree. Missy has engineered Clara's involvement in all this - Clara is being manipulated.
  • Options
    James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    I think it's possible we could see a twist and Missy turns out to be one of the good guys and got Clara with The Doctor for good reasons
  • Options
    Sara_PeplowSara_Peplow Posts: 1,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Claras mum was called Ellie. She died when Clara was a teenager . Flashback in ROA showed the funeral. As for Missy she probably picked Clara and gave her the number of the tardis for as yet unkown reasons.I don't know why 12 is starting to distrust Clara now. Wouldn't he remmber all they went through as 11. Thought the whole "impossible girl" thing proved she was a "normal" girl/woman who did something special because of the doctor. She jumped into the timeline to save his sorry ***. Just like when 11 didn't trust River and kept asking who she was. He allready knew the answer!. River was the woman who loved him so much she died to save 10 and their future relationship/marriage. Hope Clara story is given a good ending if that is at christmas or in S9 next year.
  • Options
    MinkytheDogMinkytheDog Posts: 5,658
    Forum Member
    any ideas?

If you means could she POSSIBLY be Mrs Oswald - absolutely,

If you mean does anything about her suggest that she IS - nothing I can see other than her appearing to be a female and claiming to be in "heaven" - but that appear to also apply to the mothers of the two lots of kids she nannied (one lot as herself and another as one of her "clones")

Regardless, I think you're dead right to suggest that the line cold refer to a choice made FOR Clara rather than Clara herself being selected - but keep in mind that the same line wit that interpretation could refer to Clara's relationship with dismal Dan.

Whatever the "facts" of Moffat's story, congrats on a good bit of lateral thinking :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sorry - thought of something after posting the above.

Dismal clearly has some white ancestry and he was in a children's home as a kid so his parentage has never been established.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think it's possible we could see a twist and Missy turns out to be one of the good guys and got Clara with The Doctor for good reasons

Oh no not another happy ending.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    If you means could she POSSIBLY be Mrs Oswald - absolutely,

If you mean does anything about her suggest that she IS - nothing I can see other than her appearing to be a female and claiming to be in "heaven" - but that appear to also apply to the mothers of the two lots of kids she nannied (one lot as herself and another as one of her "clones")

Regardless, I think you're dead right to suggest that the line cold refer to a choice made FOR Clara rather than Clara herself being selected - but keep in mind that the same line wit that interpretation could refer to Clara's relationship with dismal Dan.

Whatever the "facts" of Moffat's story, congrats on a good bit of lateral thinking :)

Lol dismal Dan I like it. Yes it could mean that Danny is her choice and he is set to make Clara choose between him and the doctor but with fatal consequences for the other ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Lol dismal Dan I like it. Yes it could mean that Danny is her choice and he is set to make Clara choose between him and the doctor but with fatal consequences for the other ?

It'd have to be pure guesswork on any reason but a few possible scenarios spring to mind - including dismal being sent by Missy.

I've been saying elsewhere that it was interesting to have the effects of grief regarded as an "ailment" by the Foretold - makes me wonder if maybe someone is being set-up to feel grief as a way to make them vulnerable to that "mummy" tech. It could be that someone is engineering a "broken heart" for one of the main cast members.

It is very difficult - there's really no clues in anything we've seen so it's all guesswork - and that "chose" line is a beaut.
  • Options
    FiregazerFiregazer Posts: 5,888
    Forum Member

This. There's way too much overthinking on this thread.

The Doctor: "I'm going to eat a banana"
    DS: "What does he mean by banana?"
  • Options
    James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    Firegazer wrote: »

Are you trying to say The Doctor is Bananaman or they are hinting towards the fact Eric/Bananaman is a alien and The Doctor knows of his home planet
  • Options
    Forum Member

Hate to say it but the Doctor eating a banana COULD be important - if we already knew that he doesn't eat them and there was a "fleshie" Doctor running around.
  • Options
    FiregazerFiregazer Posts: 5,888
    Forum Member
    Are you trying to say The Doctor is Bananaman or they are hinting towards the fact Eric/Bananaman is a alien and The Doctor knows of his home planet

Bananaman is Missy. Missy is Clara. Clara is Bananaman.
  • Options
    LightMeUpLightMeUp Posts: 1,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

This. This a thousand times.
  • Options
    Sufyaan_KaziSufyaan_Kazi Posts: 3,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bananaman is Missy. Missy is Clara. Clara is Bananaman.

Is the Master Appleman?

http://showbizgeek.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Screen-Shot-2013-04-26-at-18.19.21.png