Options

Stephanie - Could Have Been Fantastic

Master OzzyMaster Ozzy Posts: 18,937
Forum Member
✭✭
It's so frustrating and they really did miss a trick with her. She could have been fantastic...she has everything. The issue is that Cheryl was a rubbish mentor to her. Anyone a bit different and this show just doesn't now what to do with them. Cheryl tried to turn her into a bloody reggae act, god knows why. She should have been singing songs that suit her voice, for example...Gabrielle, Eternal songs. Also, Cheryl's excuse of it being difficult for Steph to meet the themes due to her vocie being so distinctive is a rubbish excuse. For example, there are so many well known 80's songs that they could have trawled through, yet they decided to pick a Blondie Song that not only didn't suit her voice, but they also tried to make it reggae. It was just ridiculous. I feel sorry for Steph as the show has made it seem like she's useless and very basic, when really she wasn't. She was just lumbered with a mentor that didn't have a clue what she was doing and a show that didn't support her from day one...first audition wasn't even shown, only 30 seconds of her arena auditions and 6 chair challenge were shown. She was well and truly thrown under the bus and used as fodder.

Comments

• Options
    IsThisHappinessIsThisHappiness Posts: 7,580
    Forum Member
    I dont think it's Cheryl at all.

Both song choices she had and the twists she did on the songs were great. It was the complete lack of air time the producers had given her up to that point. Nothing could've saved her.
  • Options
    MrsWatermelonMrsWatermelon Posts: 3,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I also don't blame Cheryl or the song choices. Steph's version of Call Me was one of the most memorable of the night.

The problem was the lack of hype / build up for Steph and then her nerves, which made her performances slightly uncomfortable to watch. As much as I hate to use a judges' cliche, she didn't connect with the audience because she was scared stiff most of the time. I really liked her, remembered her from BGT and wanted her to do well. Although I really liked her singing and her style, her performances were underwhelming.

I hope she gets signed somewhere, I think she could do really well commercially. :)
  • Options
    KieranDSKieranDS Posts: 16,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I liked her but it isn't Cheryl's fault.

Her lack of airtime as you mentioned is down to the producers.

I actually thought her song choices on both occasions were good.

She seems like a lovely girl and hope she does well in the future.
  • Options
    RabidWolverine1RabidWolverine1 Posts: 8,137
    Forum Member
    Vocally, Stephanie wasn't the worst act...however she wasn't near the top either.

Coming into the live shows it was a case of Andrea is the one to beat...he was at the top and people expected brilliance from him every week and while he can deliver there or there abouts theres not much room for him to grow in the terms of he was ranked the best.

Then you had the really good but not quite there batch like Lauren, Paul, Ben, Only The Young, Fleur (Maybe Lola, Jack & Jay if their on form). The ones who have the room to get better so even if their not better singers than Andrea (Which they could be) in comparison it looks like they have improved so much more and could emerge as front runners to win the competition.

Then you have the novelty/quirky/headline magnet acts like Stereo Kicks, Blonde Electra, Chloe & Stevie who have reason to create interest in their stories but don't ultimately live up to the rest and usually the novelty wears by by half way through the live shows at the latest.

Then finally for this year you have the rest (With Steph included) who are decent singers when their on form but are just overshadowed by the higher tier talents in the show and are usually the early sacrificial lambs.

Its not that shes bad and last year probably would have done a lot better but in this years she just got swallowed up by some of the other acts.

Well that's my point of view anyway :):):)
  • Options
    CFCJM1CFCJM1 Posts: 2,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Personally I think she should have stayed with the BGT band - whatever they were called. Her voice wasn't strong enough to carry her and she hasn't got a big enough personality to shine through as a solo artist. The group she played with complimented her and hide her weaknesses.
  • Options
    jerefprdterrajerefprdterra Posts: 30,340
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think that Steph would have been better off going on to 'The Voice' where i think she would have done well as their acts are not pigeon holed into being pop artists like they are on this show.
  • Options
    JocolahJocolah Posts: 2,276
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CFCJM1 wrote: »
    Personally I think she should have stayed with the BGT band - whatever they were called. Her voice wasn't strong enough to carry her and she hasn't got a big enough personality to shine through as a solo artist. The group she played with complimented her and hide her weaknesses.

That's my point too. The Illuminites, as they were called did quite well on BGT and were actually in the top 3 of the public votes in the semis but lost to another act to go through to the finals.

I think they should have audition for the X Factor instead of BGT - I'm sure they would have got through as a group to the finals and would have done better in getting votes.
  • Options
    EvilredzebraEvilredzebra Posts: 16,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I watched a clip of her audition for BGT with Luminites - she was like a different girl. I still don't like her voice as I find it squeaky and affected, but it was balanced well by the other singers in the group. She just wasn't good enough to be a soloist.
  • Options
    MysteriousOzMysteriousOz Posts: 6,230
    Forum Member
    CFCJM1 wrote: »

This is all true, she just isn't a strong singer and she was just lucky to even have made judges houses I thought!
  • Options
    NamiraNamira Posts: 3,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She never even got one rebound vote. That is pretty shocking. I agree with you Ozzy that the reggae route was a bad one to take. That style was not going to work for TXF audience. They could have chosen better for her and she could have lasted a little longer but if I'm being honest I don't think she should have been put through when they did the chairs. Monica should have had her spot, and Kerrianne or Emily should have been in the live shows. Cheryl really seemed to go for her and I don't know why. She didn't have much of a personality so she wasn't going to generate interest in that way, she had very little airtime and her voice was fairly timid and weak. I can only think Cheryl was going for a look, rather than talent.
  • Options
    floozie_21floozie_21 Posts: 3,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think the finger pointing helped her either. Very distracting.
  • Options
    jerefprdterrajerefprdterra Posts: 30,340
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She will do a lot better without this naff old show anyway, as i am sure she will be signed up pretty soon.
  • Options
    AnnieBakerAnnieBaker Posts: 4,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched a clip of her audition for BGT with Luminites - she was like a different girl. I still don't like her voice as I find it squeaky and affected, but it was balanced well by the other singers in the group. She just wasn't good enough to be a soloist.

I agree, she needs others with her to support her voice. She can sing (not brilliant but OK) and she is pretty, but she looked like a bunny rabbit caught in the headlights a lot of the time.

She also failed to connect well with the camera and dominate the stage. In her first performance I was willing her to give a big confident smile at some point, but it just looked like she was focusing too much on her words and choreography.
  • Options
    patricia50patricia50 Posts: 3,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Simon said last week she would be better in a group and she isn't strong enough to be a solo artist. This might seem harsh but I think he was right. Her voice is a bit weak but quirky and could be an asset in a group but is definitely not good enough on her own.
  • Options
    earldbestearldbest Posts: 3,894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rule Number One of XF: An act is only as good as the show allows them to be.
  • Options
    CFCJM1CFCJM1 Posts: 2,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    earldbest wrote: »
    Rule Number One of XF: An act is only as good as the show allows them to be.

True - but would also add

Rule Number Two - Some acts are not as good as the show wants them to be - Chloe being an example.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jocolah wrote: »
    That's my point too. The Illuminites, as they were called did quite well on BGT and were actually in the top 3 of the public votes in the semis but lost to another act to go through to the finals.

I think they should have audition for the X Factor instead of BGT - I'm sure they would have got through as a group to the finals and would have done better in getting votes.

They were called The Luminites. They won their semi final and came fifth in the whole competition.
  • Options
    ScoreScore Posts: 17,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I loved the band on BGT but she was dreadful on her own. Not strong enough to be a solo artist at all. She should have stayed with the band.
  • Options
    LyceumLyceum Posts: 3,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rebecca Ferguson's voice was 'distinctive' and they did very well with her. I believe she was also in Cheryl's category. And if I remember correctly she came second to Matt Cardle.

The producers obviously didn't rate Stephanie as highly as they did Rebecca. As someone said above an artist on this show will only shine if they're allowed to. If the producers want them gone they get awful songs that really don't suit.

For whatever reason the powers that be didn't get behind Stephanie, which is sad.
  • Options
    red_amberred_amber Posts: 1,154
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I also think the producers pushing the reggae angle harmed her chances.
  • Options
    gorgeousgirlgorgeousgirl Posts: 5,031
    Forum Member
    I like her and was hoping she would do well but imo all her performances in the live shows have been boring, even when she was dancing it was all so dull. As a solo artist she just didn't have it for me, I think she performed much better with her BGT band and she should have stuck with that.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's so frustrating and they really did miss a trick with her. She could have been fantastic...she has everything. The issue is that Cheryl was a rubbish mentor to her. Anyone a bit different and this show just doesn't now what to do with them. Cheryl tried to turn her into a bloody reggae act, god knows why. She should have been singing songs that suit her voice, for example...Gabrielle, Eternal songs. Also, Cheryl's excuse of it being difficult for Steph to meet the themes due to her vocie being so distinctive is a rubbish excuse. For example, there are so many well known 80's songs that they could have trawled through, yet they decided to pick a Blondie Song that not only didn't suit her voice, but they also tried to make it reggae. It was just ridiculous. I feel sorry for Steph as the show has made it seem like she's useless and very basic, when really she wasn't. She was just lumbered with a mentor that didn't have a clue what she was doing and a show that didn't support her from day one...first audition wasn't even shown, only 30 seconds of her arena auditions and 6 chair challenge were shown. She was well and truly thrown under the bus and used as fodder.

I do not think the song choices helped her and it is interesting to see that you rate her highly but for me she was not very good and I would not have taken her to judges houses. Sorry!