Updating drivers for free

Comments

• daisydeedaisydee Posts: 39,393
    Forum Member
    mred2000 wrote: »
    Starting to sound like this thread now: http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1844214

Just read this other thread on the same subject. Explains a lot.
  • OrbitalzoneOrbitalzone Posts: 12,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Of course many of us don't even see those tricky 'download' links because we (sensibly) use ad blockers. Sure websites such as DS need advertising to fund them but when a download site essentially tricks users into downloading crap such as those registry software that always find 1499 errors regardless of the PC you have to wonder the sense of not blocking them....Clearly it's done because the download site earns money from advert links.

I try and avoid CNet because of their bundling of software with other crap.....it's getting harder to download free software without installing other bundled crap, let alone have confusing adverts that appear to be the download you're trying to get.
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This ARO2013 thing has been seen before. I guess you were directed to the CNET Download website? That does have some ambiguous links on it and it is easy to download the wrong thing, as in your case.

You didn't actually install Malwarebytes I suspect but the totally unrelated ARO2013. Try using this link.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/malwarebytes-anti-malware/?1

Make sure you click ONLY the Download button in the blue box headed Malwarebytes and not any others that may be on screen. By the way if you use an ad blocker with your browser that will often hide all these spurious ad based download buttons lessening the chance of clicking the wrong one.
  • evil cevil c Posts: 7,833
    Forum Member
    By 'eck, I didn't think my posting of the Malwarebytes link would cause so many problems! Sorry to all of you who have had to respond to the OP's bad download.

I use adblocking so didn't see the program that the OP linked to and OP...you need to be more careful.
    Forum Member
    Have now downloaded the correct malwarebytes and scanned laptop - it took 1 hour and 19 minutes. I'll get around to doing the old desktop next, but at this rate will probably take a week. :p
    Thanks for all the help :)
  • max99max99 Posts: 9,002
    Forum Member
    evil c wrote: »
    By 'eck, I didn't think my posting of the Malwarebytes link would cause so many problems! Sorry to all of you who have had to respond to the OP's bad download.

I use adblocking so didn't see the program that the OP linked to and OP...you need to be more careful.

It's easily done. I usually post download links to Filehippo. But until I visited it without an adblocker, I didn't realise just how much misleading junk was on the site.

The sponsored ad results in Google are another one which catches out the unsuspecting - and non-adblocking - users.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 358
    Forum Member
    for driver updates try drivermax the free version lets you download 2 drivers a day.
  • mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    for driver updates try drivermax the free version lets you download 2 drivers a day.

It's not needed and, certainly in this instance, will just confuse matters. Drivers are free and you can certainly download as many drivers as you want from any source for free, not just a limit of two per day!
  • PuckyPucky Posts: 4,503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't you just update them via Device Manger? You can get Windows to search the internet for them.
  • ZenithZenith Posts: 3,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If using IE9 or above, you can also block ads by switching on Tracking Protection & selecting the appropriate online list.
    Forum Member
    daisydee wrote: »
    Have now downloaded the correct malwarebytes and scanned laptop - it took 1 hour and 19 minutes. I'll get around to doing the old desktop next, but at this rate will probably take a week. :p
    Thanks for all the help :)

Hmmm well I've now been informed that my Malwarebytes trial ends in 4 days time to pay for the full version. Did I misunderstand? I thought Malwarebytes came free?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmmm well I've now been informed that my Malwarebytes trial ends in 4 days time to pay for the full version. Did I misunderstand? I thought Malwarebytes came free?
    You've installed the trial of the Pro version not the true free version by the sound of it. The free version does not end and never prompts for payment.

You need to check very carefully what you download. if you try the links I and others posted earlier to the download sites don't click the first DOWNLOAD NOW button you see. Look at the entire page very carefully and make absolutely certain you click the right one.

If you can, install an ad blocker add on into your browser, for example AdBlock Plus (https://adblockplus.org/en). That seems to get rid of most of the distracting spurious buttons so you are much more likely to download the correct thing.
  • LION8TIGERLION8TIGER Posts: 8,484
    Forum Member

Uninstall the trial version you have and then click on 'Download Latest Version' near the top right of the page.
    Clicking through when installing you should not see any options to install a trial version.
    I've just done the above to make sure but as chrisjr mentioned above I do have Adblock installed .... not sure if it makes a difference on Filehippo or not but its my favourite/safe site to download things from.

http://filehippo.com/download_malwarebytes_anti_malware/
  • stevensdrsstevensdrs Posts: 1,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have just installed the version from the link above and you have to be very careful with the install process. The final splash screen on the install requires you to untick the box for trial version pro or that is what you will get. Easy to miss and possibly why the OP ended up with the wrong version.
    Forum Member
    stevensdrs wrote: »
    I have just installed the version from the link above and you have to be very careful with the install process. The final splash screen on the install requires you to untick the box for trial version pro or that is what you will get. Easy to miss and possibly why the OP ended up with the wrong version.

My link above ?? if so then it has to be Adblock+ hiding the link, it was definitely not there when I did it.
    Edit: no splash screens at all.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LION8TIGER wrote: »
    My link above ?? if so then it has to be Adblock+ hiding the link, it was definitely not there when I did it.
    Edit: no splash screens at all.
    Ad Block will only block links in browsers it won't block options in a program installer.

I've just downloaded Malwarebytes both with and without Ad Block enabled. Exactly the same file gets downloaded. The only difference is with Ad Block enabled I saw a big green Start Download button on the left with no surrounding text that actually downloads 7Zip.

I never saw any option during either install to select or de-select a trial version. However there is a Start Trial button on the Protection Tab of Malwarebytes itself.

I wonder if this is what daisydee pressed to activate the trial? If so then all that should be required is to zap Malwarebytes and reinstall and stay well away from that button :)
    Forum Member
    chrisjr wrote: »

I've just downloaded Malwarebytes both with and without Ad Block enabled. Exactly the same file gets downloaded. The only difference is with Ad Block enabled I saw a big green Start Download button on the left with no surrounding text that actually downloads 7Zip.

I'm sure you meant disabled, I suppose 7Zip if the genuine article isn't the worst unintended download.
    If I went on the Malwarebytes site to download it then all the choices to download the free or trial versions are there to see but on Filehippo its just the free version ... using ABP on both sites.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sure you meant disabled, I suppose 7Zip if the genuine article isn't the worst unintended download.
    I might have meant "without Ad Block enabled" :D

Then again who knows what I meant, someone tell me if you work it out :D:D
    If I went on the Malwarebytes site to download it then all the choices to download the free or trial versions are there to see but on Filehippo its just the free version ... using ABP on both sites.
    It was on Filehippo that the spurious download button appeared without Ad Block. The 7Zip one was especially naughty as it had no surrounding text (or maybe the download screwed up perhaps).

Second time I went back to that page with Ad Block off the 7Zip download was replaced by an AVG Anti Virus ad with download button but it was a bit more obvious that it wasn't anything to do with Malwarebytes.
    Forum Member
    I downloaded Malwarebytes again from FileHippo this time with ABP disabled and no sign at all of any trial version and no other buttons that could be clicked on by mistake.
    Conclusion .... must be my hosts file blocking these things.
    Forum Member
    The very last stage of the MBAM installation (where it asks if you want to update and launch the program) should also have an option to start the free trial of the pro version. This is ticked by default. I always see this on a clean installation of MBAM. I've just tested it on an 'over-the-top' installation and the trial option still appears. Not sure why it appears to be random for some people.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    max99 wrote: »
    The very last stage of the MBAM installation (where it asks if you want to update and launch the program) should also have an option to start the free trial of the pro version. This is ticked by default. I always see this on a clean installation of MBAM. I've just tested it on an 'over-the-top' installation and the trial option still appears. Not sure why it appears to be random for some people.
    I get exactly the same as LION8TIGER above. No sign anywhere on the installer of an option to activate a trial.

This is using mbam-setup-1.75.0.1300.exe as downloaded from four different download sites. Each one was identical.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had to do it again to make sure, this is the whole setup from start to finish with ABP disabled.

No sign of a trial with or without ABP, must be the hosts file ?
    I get exactly the same. But I would doubt very much indeed if ABP or the Host file had any part at all in why the trial option isn't there. Why it would need any reference to the internet to determine whether or not the tick box appeared? Can't think of any reason why that should be the case.
  • StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Perhaps Malwarebytes have removed the annoying 'trial' option.

A much better problem is the misleading ads on the download sites.
    Forum Member
    chrisjr wrote: »
    I get exactly the same as LION8TIGER above. No sign anywhere on the installer of an option to activate a trial.

This is using mbam-setup-1.75.0.1300.exe as downloaded from four different download sites. Each one was identical.

Same version downloaded from Filehippo.com. This is the final screen with an over-the-top install on W7:

http://s23.postimg.org/vtc5bfzbv/mbam.png

Some criteria must be triggering the trial option, but no idea what.