Options

File Permissions

I have a new external hard disk drive. I have been trying to set up file permissions, so that if I loose the HDD, personal data will be secure.

I have managed to successfully allow my home computer account to access all the relevant documents. I then tested this out on my laptop, and as I wanted, I was unable to access any documents.

However, on my laptop, I found that I can just 'take ownership' of the files. I didn't require any security checks, it just changed the owner to my laptop, and I had access to everything.

Is there a way of stopping this from happening? I have tried changing the permissions of the group 'Everyone' and denied access to changing ownership, but this hasn't prevented the problem.

Comments

• Options
    CruachanCruachan Posts: 7,211
    Forum Member
    If you wish to secure against unauthorised access in the event of the loss of the external HDD, you'll need to encrypt it with an appropriately strong algorithm.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 108
    Forum Member
    Cruachan wrote: »
    If you wish to secure against unauthorised access in the event of the loss of the external HDD, you'll need to encrypt it with an appropriately strong algorithm.

I have an Acer computer, and it has software pre-installed with an encrypter/decrypter. However, this takes a long time to encrypt and decrypt, so I thought that file permissions would be a quicker way around it.
  • Options
    CruachanCruachan Posts: 7,211
    Forum Member
    Jmes wrote: »
    I have an Acer computer, and it has software pre-installed with an encrypter/decrypter. However, this takes a long time to encrypt and decrypt, so I thought that file permissions would be a quicker way around it.

As you've discovered, whichever computer you attach the drive to can be used to administer the permissions if the user has the appropriate privileges.
  • Options
    chiller15chiller15 Posts: 4,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Invisi-Bump.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Cruachan wrote: »
    As you've discovered, whichever computer you attach the drive to can be used to administer the permissions if the user has the appropriate privileges.

Well I can encrypt the files using my Acer software, however on my laptop it doesn't have the same software to decrypt. Are there any decent software packages which can help me?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    chiller15 wrote: »
    Invisi-Bump.

What's this chiller15?
  • Options
    max99max99 Posts: 9,002
    Forum Member
    TrueCrypt - free, effective and well tested.
  • Options
    mogwaimogwai Posts: 886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    +1 for Truecrypt - it'll be able to encrypt the entire volume, or you can create a Truecrypt file on the drive.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Does this require the TrueCrypt software to be installed on every computer I need to access the encrypted files on?
  • Options
    user123456789user123456789 Posts: 16,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jmes wrote: »
    Does this require the TrueCrypt software to be installed on every computer I need to access the encrypted files on?

Yes, but it's no big deal installing only takes a few seconds or you can run TrueCrypt from a Flash Drive.