Options

The Grumpy Guide to...Food: BBC2

Mr. ChipsMr. Chips Posts: 529
Forum Member
✭✭
Anyone else watch last night?

I used to find this show quite funny, but the previous episode about New Years' Eve and last night's episode about food were really short on laughs.

I noticed that no mention was made about Come Dine With Me's influence on modern attitudes to food. I know this is a BBC show, but I thought they were supposed to be impartial. Maybe they didn't want to pay Channel 4 for the rights to show clips.

I'm still waiting for Neil Morrisey and Russell Kane to say something amusing.

Comments

• Options
    Molly HuntMolly Hunt Posts: 840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mr. Chips wrote: »

... don't hold your breath!
  • Options
    iamsofirediamsofired Posts: 13,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I used to find this show quite funny, but the previous episode about New Years' Eve and last night's episode about food were really short on laughs.

I noticed that no mention was made about Come Dine With Me's influence on modern attitudes to food. I know this is a BBC show, but I thought they were supposed to be impartial. Maybe they didn't want to pay Channel 4 for the rights to show clips.

Yes i didnt find it funny, as the jokes have all been said before about food/wine snobs and pretentious recipe names etc. Just really boring. Come dine with me does a far better job.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I seemed like a remake. I watched the gurmpy guide to food & drink last year (that wasn't very good either) and this seemed like they'd just remade it with current celebs.

I won't be watching any others in the series.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was ok I guess.
  • Options
    Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    this is just cheap tv filler what did you expect?
  • Options
    JeffG1JeffG1 Posts: 15,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm still waiting for ... Russell Kane to say something amusing.

Oh I don't know - I smiled at his joke about playing Revels roulette with his mates with nut allergies.
  • Options
    PurpleTurtlePurpleTurtle Posts: 894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I watched this on the iPlayer earlier today, I got a bit annoyed with the bit about food intolerances, they seemed to think that having a wheat intolerance was a lame excuse for being fat, I have a gluten intolerance and the point is you have to AVOID eating those foods! I wonder what people with Coeliac disease would say about their opinions.
  • Options
    Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member

Didn't watch it, just wondering what exactly is the effect of Come Dine with me on modern attitudes to food?
    How many people do you think actually watch Come Dine with Me?
  • Options
    J SwiftJ Swift Posts: 1,112
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Totally agree. I'm sure these grumpy guides used to feel a little more authentic.

Now it just feels forced and laboured. Feels more like painfully ignorant on-the-spot responses from people who clearly make terrible social commentators to things they're being shown on cue cards.

Certainly not getting the wry observational humour the show obviously needs.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Didn't watch it, just wondering what exactly is the effect of Come Dine with me on modern attitudes to food?
    How many people do you think actually watch Come Dine with Me?
    Never watched it
  • Options
    Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Never watched it

I watched a few of the celeb ones, well tried to only stuck it out with a couple.
    The one with the Ex-england footballers (Carlton Palmer, Razor Ruddock, etc) was a good craic.
    That's about it though, it's the comic asides from the narrator that make that show IMO.
  • Options
    Sweet FASweet FA Posts: 10,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Agree it was pretty pointless updating it with current or so-called 'relevant comedians'. They should just show repeats of the originals...which were much funnier...
  • Options
    Reality SucksReality Sucks Posts: 28,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched this on the iPlayer earlier today, I got a bit annoyed with the bit about food intolerances, they seemed to think that having a wheat intolerance was a lame excuse for being fat, I have a gluten intolerance and the point is you have to AVOID eating those foods! I wonder what people with Coeliac disease would say about their opinions.

True - I have an intolerance to lactose and I get quite a bad reaction. It was making my life quite difficult until I found out what the problem was.

How old were those clips of Jamie Oliver and Gordon Ramsay :eek:
  • Options
    LightningIguanaLightningIguana Posts: 21,854
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yeah, that hacked me off too. I'm quite happy to eat the foods I have a reaction to and then spend the next 16 hours vomiting on them if it'll prove it's not a made up condition.

Idjits.:(