Options

Irish woman is the first to surf in Iran

2»

Comments

• Options
    MAWMAW Posts: 38,777
    Forum Member
    2+2=5 wrote: »
    So you missed the bit where the police checked up on them to see they were ok?

Good to see English comprehension standards in the UK are at an all time high, eh?

No, but I'm capable of understanding also that the Iranian regime are a bunch of sanctimonious thugs and fruitloops who'd be just as likely to imprison or even execute a woman for such an act of rebellious bravado as offer any assistance. I'd suspect very much that any 'checking she was OK' also contained a distinct whiff of intimidation and threat, of what might happen if she was so foolish again.
  • Options
    2+2=52+2=5 Posts: 24,264
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MAW wrote: »
    No, but I'm capable of understanding also that the Iranian regime are a bunch of sanctimonious thugs and fruitloops who'd be just as likely to imprison or even execute a woman for such an act of rebellious bravado as offer any assistance. I'd suspect very much that any 'checking she was OK' also contained a distinct whiff of intimidation and threat, of what might happen if she was so foolish again.

So you don't have any facts to hand and just have a 'suspicion'.

Glad we cleared that up.
  • Options
    Pet1986Pet1986 Posts: 7,701
    Forum Member
    MAW wrote: »

i must have missed a lot as A) loads of posts are missing and B) i dont know what she did that they had to warn her not to be so foolish again? I could have sworn from the report she said they were friendly and were warning them about nearby rocks? unless you've been in touch with the woman and know different of course?
  • Options
    archiverarchiver Posts: 13,011
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder when the first Israeli woman will surf there, and what Ayatollah Ali Khamenei thinks of it.

Apparently the local ladies were thrilled as they watched Easkey make good progress out to sea, but were puzzled when they saw her turn round and come back. :)
  • Options
    tremetreme Posts: 5,445
    Forum Member
    archiver wrote: »
    I wonder when the first Israeli woman will surf there, and what Ayatollah Ali Khamenei thinks of it.

Apparently the local ladies were thrilled as they watched Easkey make good progress out to sea, but were puzzled when they saw her turn round and come back. :)

Ha ha :D:D Er, I mean bad archiver, BAD archiver! :mad:

(Not allowed jokes in this thread)
  • Options
    Jane Doh!Jane Doh! Posts: 43,307
    Forum Member
    So you missed the bit where the police checked up on them to see they were ok?

Good to see English comprehension standards in the UK are at an all time high, eh?

My comprehension must be wanting as I don't understand how your reply relates to MAW's post.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Hes a bit busy calling the world leaders "zionists" at the moment.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pet1986 wrote: »
    Hes a bit busy calling the world leaders "zionists" at the moment.
    Indeed. Sorry about my joke Pet. I couldn't resist.

May I ask, did you see the sea while you lived there? I almost prayed for you to join the thread claiming you surfed there in 19.... :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jane Doh! wrote: »
    My comprehension must be wanting as I don't understand how your reply relates to MAW's post.

MAW went the stereotypical route of suggesting a stoning was possible. As jokes come it was pretty lame. Normal standard for DS.

I think evidence that the police didn't come and take them away but were simply checking that they were well suggests the stereotypical view is not so accurate as some like to think.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Indeed. Sorry about my joke Pet. I couldn't resist.

May I ask, did you see the sea while you lived there? I almost prayed for you to join the thread claiming you surfed there in 19.... :)

:) I did see the sea but only when leaving the country we were very much inland where i was and I havent been allowed back since we left so no, never surfed there (altho i did surf in dubai and not in a all in one with my head covered either, contrary to popular belief the majority of Dubais beachs are the same the world over apart from no alcohol on the public ones, its allowed on hotel beachs for instance and private ones).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    MAW went the stereotypical route of suggesting a stoning was possible. As jokes come it was pretty lame. Normal standard for DS.

I think evidence that the police didn't come and take them away but were simply checking that they were well suggests the stereotypical view is not so accurate as some like to think.
    He mentioned California so I assumed he meant drugs.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He mentioned California so I assumed he meant drugs.

Like I said, it was a lame joke and more evidence to that as you didn't even get the "stoning" reference!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Like I said, it was a lame joke and more evidence to that as you didn't even get the "stoning" reference!

Do you not think you may have read it the wrong way? Is it not feasible that it was meant in the way that I read it?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you not think you may have read it the wrong way? Is it not feasible that it was meant in the way that I read it?

I took it as being a play on words, referring to both senses of being stoned. Why else use the term 'stoned' with Iran on a forum with a distinct lack of love for the Arab world?

No, I didn't read it the wrong way. The poster didn't suggest that to be an issue.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I took it as being a play on words, referring to both senses of being stoned. Why else use the term 'stoned' with Iran on a forum with a distinct lack of love for the Arab world?

No, I didn't read it the wrong way. The poster didn't suggest that to be an issue.

Because the thread is about surfing and when surfing is mentioned, a lot of people think of California and The Beach Boys and sex and drugs and rock 'n' roll.

Sometimes people look for slights where none were intended.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because the thread is about surfing and when surfing is mentioned, a lot of people think of California and The Beach Boys and sex and drugs and rock 'n' roll.

Sometimes people look for slights where none were intended.

But there's no slight here. It's not personal. It's a lame joke. I'm surprised you haven't made the connection.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    But there's no slight here. It's not personal. It's a lame joke. I'm surprised you haven't made the connection.

I'm sure you know best.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pet1986 wrote: »
    :) I did see the sea but only when leaving the country we were very much inland where i was and I havent been allowed back since we left so no, never surfed there (altho i did surf in dubai and not in a all in one with my head covered either, contrary to popular belief the majority of Dubais beachs are the same the world over apart from no alcohol on the public ones, its allowed on hotel beachs for instance and private ones).
    Thanks. No alcohol on public beaches sounds good to me, as does women (anyone) surfing freely...
  • Options
    JunipertJunipert Posts: 1,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You do know Iran is not Arab...? Where do you get the notion that people do not like the Arab world? I think you are maybe mixing the debate on Islam and Arabs.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Junipert wrote: »
    You do know Iran is not Arab...? Where do you get the notion that people do not like the Arab world? I think you are maybe mixing the debate on Islam and Arabs.

I should have used the term Middle East. Or would Western Asia suit you?

Do you know what having an opinion means? Well I have one, formed through discussions on many threads. You are free to agree or disagree. But my opinion is not going to change.
  • Options
    Ghengis CanGhengis Can Posts: 759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm sure you know best.

In this case he's right. It was a lame joke about the Iranian regime, and their habit of locking up and threatening to stone women for crimes against Islam, like enjoying themselves, lewd public behaviour, being raped, and other shocking acts by loose women.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks. No alcohol on public beaches sounds good to me, as does women (anyone) surfing freely...

Its generally no alcohol on the streets etc or in public places its freely available in bars/hotels etc but you dont find people walking around with a beer, or gangs of lads boozed up swigging from bottles bar to bar etc if you know what i mean and you wouldnt find someone drinking a can of beer on the beach unless it was their own beach but even the hotels have drink standards and it has to be served in the hotels glasses.
  • Options
    tremetreme Posts: 5,445
    Forum Member
    What was the actual point of this thread? I think it was created to do a bit of needling, and when there was some piss taking in it, suddenly it fell foul of the mods and their happy-happy-scythes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As I said in the OP, I think it's a positive story on a couple of levels. Rules were made to be broken and Iran isn't the ultimate evil country it is sometimes seen to be in Western circles.

Compared to "Where do you like to have sex?" threads one would imagine this had equal validity (some would say more) to exist in GD.
  • Options
    JunipertJunipert Posts: 1,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As I said in the OP, I think it's a positive story on a couple of levels. Rules were made to be broken and Iran isn't the ultimate evil country it is sometimes seen to be in Western circles.

Compared to "Where do you like to have sex?" threads one would imagine this had equal validity (some would say more) to exist in GD.

I doubt people believe Iran is the ultimate evil country but the regime that rules it are pretty evil.