Options

General Ident Discussion Thread

Comments

• Options
    pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Perhaps they fact they are boring and cheap looking is the point. They didn't want to make fantastic idents, only for them to be scrapped a few months later and unable to be used again?

I imagine whatever look BBC ONE and TWO get in 2013, the idents for Christmas can be used for a few years again until they get another tweak?
  • Options
    D.PageD.Page Posts: 1,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Paddy C wrote: »
    Perhaps they fact they are boring and cheap looking is the point. They didn't want to make fantastic idents, only for them to be scrapped a few months later and unable to be used again?

I imagine whatever look BBC ONE and TWO get in 2013, the idents for Christmas can be used for a few years again until they get another tweak?

The BBC1 Christmas idents are scrapped in the space of a few weeks (not a few months), and not usually used again. This doesn't stop the BBC from having, often, fantastic ones made.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    D.Page wrote: »
    The BBC1 Christmas idents are scrapped in the space of a few weeks (not a few months), and not usually used again. This doesn't stop the BBC from having, often, fantastic ones made.
    I know that, but I meant the rebrand was in a few months, not the Christmas idents being used for months! The idents are sometimes used for a couple of years, so as these ones are based on the 'circle' theme and not going to be used again after a few weeks, it's not that improbable to think that they just designed basic ones to save money, Delivering Quality First was it called?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 244
    Forum Member
    I know that, but I meant the rebrand was in a few months, not the Christmas idents being used for months! The idents are sometimes used for a couple of years, so as these ones are based on the 'circle' theme and not going to be used again after a few weeks, it's not that improbable to think that they just designed basic ones to save money, Delivering Quality First was it called?

ITV managed to produce sometihng decent for christmas this year even though their logo/idents are changing next month.

I think BBC1's controller will already be getting the impression that this year's xmas idents have not been well received compared to their previous efforts. Still if their viewing figures on Christmas Day are still healthy then would they really care about the idents not been liked?
  • Options
    Guest82722Guest82722 Posts: 10,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder if George Entwistle had anything to do with them?

Everything he touched seemed to turn to s**t.
  • Options
    AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    argyess wrote: »
    ITV managed to produce sometihng decent for christmas this year even though their logo/idents are changing next month.

I think BBC1's controller will already be getting the impression that this year's xmas idents have not been well received compared to their previous efforts
    . Still if their viewing figures on Christmas Day are still healthy then would they really care about the idents not been liked?

BIB: What makes you think the viewing public really give a monkeys? I doubt no one, other than fans of TV Pres will bother to even regard them as important let alone give an impression of ill received. I think you are assuming that because WE are interested in TV pres, everyone else must be too. Fact is, they aren't.
  • Options
    DVDfeverDVDfever Posts: 18,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wizzywick wrote: »
    Good Cop: Only mentioned it to reply to your comments.

For no reason other than to sleight me.
    Red Bee: As you can't be arsed to bother putting up your own decorations I don't see why you would worry about how a TV Channel decides to commemmorate Christmas!

I'm not fussed what they do about Xmas, I'm fussed about what they ruin the whole year round.
    How about providing a proper counter-argument, rather than this weak response.

You didn't even provide an argument!
    leicslad45 wrote: »
    Will there be any update of the idents on both BBC One and Two in the near future. ITV are going to change theirs in next month so it is only logical that the BBC rebrands theirs as well. The globe that was used til 1997 was my favourite. The BBC have a thing about red. The idents of BBC one,news and parliament seem to prove that. Also it is seven years since BBC weather last changed their graphics. Are there any plans on a refresh of theirs as well

Perhaps ITV have a few quid in the bank to spare?
    I wonder if George Entwistle had anything to do with them?

Everything he touched seemed to turn to s**t.

I can't see all of that word, but I can only presume it's "Savile".
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DVDfever wrote: »
    You didn't even provide an argument!

It's very simple to understand what I mean. Post #373 contains your 'point' and my response to it. Judging by your subsequent responses, you clearly (and unsurprisingly) cannot defend this point you made.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The resumption of the regular BBC1 idents cannot come soon enough! What a surprising let-down by BBC1, this Christmas.
  • Options
    F1KenF1Ken Posts: 4,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The resumption of the regular BBC1 idents cannot come soon enough! What a surprising let-down by BBC1, this Christmas.

I quite like them. Very simple and they don't get on your nerves. Almost an old style ident. I prefer this years to last.

There nothing special but I wouldn't call them disappointing.

Anyway have you seem the new BBC One 2013 trailers. The end boards are different with a 2013 animation instead of the standard red swirl. And the BBC Two trailer has a wonderful 2 symbol at the end of it. Shame there idents cant look like that.

Here is the BBC Two trailer. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQqLRw8Ja6s

Good trailer. And I like the introduction of the centred BBC Two logo in there standard program trailers. I have also spotted a few old 1990's style end boards popping up I wonder if that will replace the slanted 2.

Ken
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    F1Ken wrote: »
    ... Anyway have you seem the new BBC One 2013 trailers. The end boards are different with a 2013 animation instead of the standard red swirl.

Yes, the endboards are OK. The change is refreshing.
    ... And the BBC Two trailer has a wonderful 2 symbol at the end of it. Shame there idents cant look like that.

Good trailer. And I like the introduction of the centred BBC Two logo in there standard program trailers. I have also spotted a few old 1990's style end boards popping up I wonder if that will replace the slanted 2.

Ken

I agree. The '2' symbol is visually appealing. Hope there is a new ident coming, using this style. I haven't seen this trailer before, as I have hardly watched BBC2 at all, over Christmas, which is unusual, for me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I agree. The '2' symbol is visually appealing. Hope there is a new ident coming, using this style. I haven't seen this trailer before, as I have hardly watched BBC2 at all, over Christmas, which is unusual, for me.

I would like to see them drop the blue box and stick with the centred plain BBC Two logo. I think the reson it works so well in that trailer is the hint of blue behind the logo.

BBC Two need to do something to freshen it up because it's looking desperate I must say. With the poor quality "Channel Of the year" text on the idents.

Ken
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21
    Forum Member
    I have liked the BBC1 Xmas Idents myself this year. Simple and effective, strongly themed, good music with an infectious hook which has been missing in recent years. The whole Showtime build-up in December and the execution of the idents I feel has been clever without being too clever, fun and festive.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    John_McG wrote: »
    I have liked the BBC1 Xmas Idents myself this year. Simple and effective, strongly themed, good music with an infectious hook which has been missing in recent years. The whole Showtime build-up in December and the execution of the idents I feel has been clever without being too clever, fun and festive.

Agreed. What I also like about the simple idents is there is lot's of variation so you don't get board of them. I think all of the branding has worked very well this year.

This year it was not just about the ident but the whole picture. The trailers, the "It's Showtime" branding". It's all come together and worked. Over on BBC Two it was good to see the 2011 one back again. I reckon it will be back next year as well.

Ken
  • Options
    emailsemails Posts: 11,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I quite like them. Very simple and they don't get on your nerves. Almost an old style ident. I prefer this years to last.

There nothing special but I wouldn't call them disappointing.

Anyway have you seem the new BBC One 2013 trailers. The end boards are different with a 2013 animation instead of the standard red swirl. And the BBC Two trailer has a wonderful 2 symbol at the end of it. Shame there idents cant look like that.

Ken

wheres the BBCone 2013 ident then?
  • Options
    chemical2009bchemical2009b Posts: 5,250
    Forum Member
    I reckon it will be back next year as well.

Ken

You think so even though the main idents are due to change soon?
  • Options
    ChuckleVision7ChuckleVision7 Posts: 133
    Forum Member
    When do we think the idents will change then? I quite liked the end card at the end of that trailer. Reminded me of the optics ident in the texture of the 2.
    In myself I don't expect a complete rebrand, I just expect an update like BBC Two is trying out and new endboards for BBC One. But if there was to be a rebrand, when would you expect it?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You think so even though the main idents are due to change soon?

Do you know details of the rebrand. Will it be a complete change as I read a few months ago or is it just a small refresh.

BBC Two I must admit is looking tired ident wise at the moment.

Ken
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    emails wrote: »
    wheres the BBCone 2013 ident then?

The idents are the same as last year. Unless you mean the trailer.

This is the BBC One trailer if you wanted it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dzG_f_vEEs

There I think are other versions but that unless I am very much mistaken is the main one! :D

Ken
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the swirl was not used because the dots did that anyway subtly. I don't think that's any sort of hint at what the new look BBC ONE will be.

The '2' made up of stars is lovely though and would look great as an ident.
  • Options
    Robert WilliamsRobert Williams Posts: 2,213
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't recall there being any evidence whatsoever that there are any upcoming changes to the idents on either BBC1 and BBC2. :confused:
  • Options
    AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the swirl was not used because the dots did that anyway subtly. I don't think that's any sort of hint at what the new look BBC ONE will be.

The '2' made up of stars is lovely though and would look great as an ident.

Is BBC One Definetely getting a New look? You have mentioned it a couple of times but as yet have not actually confirmed your statements other than just reiterating them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't recall there being any evidence whatsoever that there are any upcoming changes to the idents on either BBC1 and BBC2. :confused:

If you read this thread back there is evidence for a BBC Two rebrand. Although I would take it with a pinch of salt.

As for BBC One I have heard nothing, If there are insiders on this thread that know something them I will believe them. I don't think BBC One is going to have a rebrand personally. And if they do it will be nothing radical.

All that was looking tired was the red swirl endbords. And they are being used less and less.

This is the "Evidence" for BBC Two. As I say I don't think it is going to happen. http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost.php?p=58670305&postcount=35

Ken
  • Options
    Robert WilliamsRobert Williams Posts: 2,213
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I recall reading about that now, and if that's all it was, then it's flimsy evidence at best. With the current financial situation at the BBC, channel rebrands should be a fairly low priority, even though it has been some time since any of their channels had a new look.

The current BBC One idents are over six years old and have outlasted both the dancers and balloons (4.5 years each). BBC Two's current look is six years old next month (having now outlasted the previous 'yellow' look). BBC Three's idents are still the most recently updated and yet are nearly five years old, while BBC Four's idents have been unchanged for over seven years! Even CBBC has remained largely unchanged for over five years.

However I don't believe in change for the sake of change, and of all the BBC channels I agree that BBC Two is the one that desperately needs a whole new look; whereas BBC One's presentation I still think seems relatively fresh even after six years.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BBC THREE's pink look is horrible, they need to refresh it, make it less gawdy looking and drop the big coloured DOG.