Signed off work during work holiday?

I've been really unwell recently with a medical condition I have. I've also been sent for tests during that time.

I took four days off work last week as I was just so unwell I'm seeing my Doctor tomorrow or Tuesday who I suspect will sign me off for a week however, I am scheduled off work next week (annual holiday)

How does it work when you are signed off during holiday?

Do I give my employee the certificate when I return? Somebody told me I can claim back those holiday days?

Not been sick like this for many years just wonder how it works.

Comments

• Jay BigzJay Bigz Posts: 5,338
    Forum Member
    Ring your employer and tell them to 'cancel' your holiday, as you're sick. They should understand. They can't force you to take holiday if you decide you don't want to.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13
    Forum Member
    Jay Bigz wrote: »
    Ring your employer and tell them to 'cancel' your holiday, as you're sick. They should understand. They can't force you to take holiday if you decide you don't want to.

ah okay. That simple.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    I've been really unwell recently with a medical condition I have. I've also been sent for tests during that time.

I took four days off work last week as I was just so unwell I'm seeing my Doctor tomorrow or Tuesday who I suspect will sign me off for a week however, I am scheduled off work next week (annual holiday)

How does it work when you are signed off during holiday?

Do I give my employee the certificate when I return? Somebody told me I can claim back those holiday days?

Not been sick like this for many years just wonder how it works.
    Relax, dont do it, when you wanna suck to it :D
  • Zero gravitasZero gravitas Posts: 12,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Worth thinking about when you will take the holiday, as it's the third of march now and if you have to take it by the end of March you may find it conflicts with other peoples plans.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,734
    Forum Member
    ah okay. That simple.

Depends on your employer.

I had the flu one week, it was my week off... doctor gave me antibiotic as it turned into a chest infection. It overran leave already booked, when I asked if I could have new leave to replace it, boss was dismissive. I could have pushed it, I suppose, but it looked like it would be more trouble than it was worth. :(
    Forum Member
    Depends on your employer.

I had the flu one week, it was my week off... doctor gave me antibiotic as it turned into a chest infection. It overran leave already booked, when I asked if I could have new leave to replace it, boss was dismissive. I could have pushed it, I suppose, but it looked like it would be more trouble than it was worth. :(

Yeah see i think the same but i'm just so ill atm i can't use my holiday how i want i'm just resting on medication so really as I have never done this before you'd think i would get it back.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,734
    Forum Member
    Yeah see i think the same but i'm just so ill atm i can't use my holiday how i want i'm just resting on medication so really as I have never done this before you'd think i would get it back.

My problem was that I didn't think to be 'signed off' as I was already off work when I went to the doctor.

I thought my tablets would be proof, but the boss just wasn't interested. :(
  • Zero gravitasZero gravitas Posts: 12,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Your boss may ask you to re-apply for holiday at a new time that doesn't conflict with other staff's already booked holiday.
    Bear in mind post #5
  • Jay BigzJay Bigz Posts: 5,338
    Forum Member
    ah okay. That simple.

It should be :)
  • kevraffkevraff Posts: 3,084
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember I was sick in bed all over Christmas and New Year a few years back. I wonder if I should have asked to be paid at bank holiday rates?
    Forum Member
    Thanks for all the advise people. If anybody has anything to add I will check back later x