Options

Self-concious of your name?

ccosmicloveccosmiclove Posts: 505
Forum Member
✭✭
I have this friend who's self-concious of her name (I know, right?)

Her name is Jeanette, she finds it cringy but I think it's lovely :D
(Hopefully people agree too?)

Is anyone else self-concious of their name?

Comments

• Options
    Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,989
    Forum Member
    I like the name Jeanette.

I quite like my name but it bugs me when people use the Y spelling other than the IE. It's the only time I really think about it
  • Options
    lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    It was OK for the Crankies, so it should be OK for anyone.
  • Options
    2-Pot Screamer2-Pot Screamer Posts: 34,238
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, 'Jeanette' is definitely a crap name.

Your friend should hang her head in shame...
  • Options
    doe_a_deerdoe_a_deer Posts: 2,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah I'm very self-conscious about it because it's obscure and people always mis-pronounce it, even people I've known for ages. It has created a lot of unnecessary awkwardness in my life.
  • Options
    sarahj1986sarahj1986 Posts: 11,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hate my surname. I always have to spell it out and even then it's still written down wrong. I can't wait go marry my fella any take his name - only problem is his is a double barrelled surname so I might still have to spell it out!
  • Options
    LyceumLyceum Posts: 3,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of my friends is called Jeanette, she was named after her Aunty.. She's never used it and has always been known by her middle name.

I have an unusual name and an even more unusual spelling if that name (I'm 35 and have never come across it spelled the same as mine - it wasn't meant to be unusual. Apparently the midwife spelled it wrong when writing my hospital name tag, my mum liked it so kept it), I like it. I'd hate to have a common name now.
  • Options
    BlueEyedMrsPBlueEyedMrsP Posts: 12,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As a kid I was. Firstly I go by my middle name, so the start of every school year, for at least the first week or two, I had to listen to the teacher read out my first name (which they usually mispronounced) and feel people stare at me while I told them I went by my other name. And secondly, the name I go by was quite uncommon back then. I hear it much more now but I was well into my teens before I met another kid with the same name as myself.

I'm not bothered now though. I have given my daughter an unusual name and I'm quite sure she'll never encounter another one in her school years or maybe even her life. When I gave it to her, I didn't know it was a name, it was just something I conjured up with a bit of inspiration. I love her name and she does too, and it helps people remember her which isn't a bad thing. There are a lot of kids her age with unusual names, people sometimes cringe when they hear an uncommon one, but I think you can choose one that still sounds nice. I much prefer an invented name over some of the silly ones that celebs give their kids. Bob Geldof's brood and Jamie Oliver's kids come to mind.
  • Options
    kampffenhoffkampffenhoff Posts: 1,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People nearly always spell my surname wrongly and I have to spell it out to them. I also have an unusual middle name and people are puzzled by that too. My older sister and brother have quite common names but by the time I arrived our parents had become inventive. Unfortunately for me. But I don't care now although I did as a kid.
  • Options
    CentaurionCentaurion Posts: 2,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My sister loved her first name Purple [ hippy parents you know ] but soon regretted it after marrying a certain Mr. Bellend.

Oh dear. bad combination.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,888
    Forum Member
    I hate my name but I just abbreviate it and it's bearable.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like being A_Zombie.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,279
    Forum Member
    Jeanette's a nice enough name, and I'm sure you're lovely, OP, but......I don't know why, and it's my problem not yours, but it makes me think of cleaning cloths :blush:
  • Options
    rumpleteazerrumpleteazer Posts: 5,746
    Forum Member
    I love my name, I was quite surprised when I learned most people don't like their names. I don't like certain abbreviations of my name but I'll generally let people call me what they want as it's a long one to say/type every time they refer to me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love my name, I was quite surprised when I learned most people don't like their names. I don't like certain abbreviations of my name but I'll generally let people call me what they want as it's a long one to say/type every time they refer to me.
    So they tend to abbreviate it to 'Rump', Ms Stiltskin?
  • Options
    Smithy1204Smithy1204 Posts: 4,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really like my name (Olivia - tend to be called Olivia by most of my family, Liv by most of my friends. I refer to myself usually as Liv, but Olivia with my family as well, and I'm happy with either. I get Livvy by some of my friends too).

But I am really self-conscious about saying my name out loud sometimes. I have no idea why, I do really like my name!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Smithy1204 wrote: »
    I really like my name (Olivia - tend to be called Olivia by most of my family, Liv by most of my friends. I refer to myself usually as Liv, but Olivia with my family as well, and I'm happy with either. I get Livvy by some of my friends too).

But I am really self-conscious about saying my name out loud sometimes. I have no idea why, I do really like my name!
    It is a trifle posh though, be thankful you're not called Liverish! :D
  • Options
    rumpleteazerrumpleteazer Posts: 5,746
    Forum Member
    So they tend to abbreviate it to 'Rump', Ms Stiltskin?

Yes, it's Rumple or nothing, it's the people that spell it Rumpel that get my goat >:(:p:D
  • Options
    ccosmicloveccosmiclove Posts: 505
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, 'Jeanette' is definitely a crap name.

Your friend should hang her head in shame...
    You better be kidding :)
    doe_a_deer wrote: »
    Yeah I'm very self-conscious about it because it's obscure and people always mis-pronounce it, even people I've known for ages. It has created a lot of unnecessary awkwardness in my life.
    I get this a lot too. My name is spelt in a different way than it's usually said and even people I've known 3+ years say it wrong like??????
    As a kid I was. Firstly I go by my middle name, so the start of every school year, for at least the first week or two, I had to listen to the teacher read out my first name (which they usually mispronounced) and feel people stare at me while I told them I went by my other name. And secondly, the name I go by was quite uncommon back then. I hear it much more now but I was well into my teens before I met another kid with the same name as myself.

I'm not bothered now though. I have given my daughter an unusual name and I'm quite sure she'll never encounter another one in her school years or maybe even her life. When I gave it to her, I didn't know it was a name, it was just something I conjured up with a bit of inspiration. I love her name and she does too, and it helps people remember her which isn't a bad thing. There are a lot of kids her age with unusual names, people sometimes cringe when they hear an uncommon one, but I think you can choose one that still sounds nice. I much prefer an invented name over some of the silly ones that celebs give their kids. Bob Geldof's brood and Jamie Oliver's kids come to mind.
    I hate the staring too. Yess I like unusual names too but not celebrity ones ahahha. When it's uncommon, it's pretty special.
    Centaurion wrote: »
    My sister loved her first name Purple [ hippy parents you know ] but soon regretted it after marrying a certain Mr. Bellend.

Oh dear. bad combination.
    :D:D:D
    Rowdy wrote: »
    Jeanette's a nice enough name, and I'm sure you're lovely, OP, but......I don't know why, and it's my problem not yours, but it makes me think of cleaning cloths :blush:
    Well, cleaning cloths are good right? Very handy ;-)
    Smithy1204 wrote: »

Olivia is such a pretty name ^_^ Elegant but fun.
  • Options
    denzldenzl Posts: 871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wouldn't like to be a Frank Spencer.
  • Options
    Seth1Seth1 Posts: 676
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know this person who copied a mate's daughter's name. She'll be self conscious until she dies
  • Options
    dsimillerdsimiller Posts: 1,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mine's OK I suppose,I'm just grateful I'm not a Hugh Jampton.
  • Options
    CentaurionCentaurion Posts: 2,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dsimiller wrote: »
    Mine's OK I suppose,I'm just grateful I'm not a Hugh Jampton.

Doh, I don't get it ?

Signed
    Dame Ivor Fannyhammock.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lemoncurd wrote: »
    It was OK for the Crankies, so it should be OK for anyone.

Nothing wrong with Jeanette., as long as you don't look like Mrs Crankie:o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,363
    Forum Member
    It bugs me when people pronounce the name Susan as Syoosan.
  • Options
    KikiDafuqKikiDafuq Posts: 203
    Forum Member
    Janice is so much worse than Jeanette. Makes me think of a fat woman that works in a chippy.