Options

Liverpool Supporters Thread (Part 20)

Comments

• Options
    mikeydddmikeyddd Posts: 11,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TheSloth wrote: »
    Apparently, they've run out of M's in their club shop. Seriously. Quite handy, as Di aria just about sums up their performance tonight so far. After one of their fans was loving "seeing Scousers cry" last night, I'm quietly enjoying their plight tonight - some supporters don't help themselves. :D

I avoided looking at any other threads last night, I might just visit them now to see who should be eating humble pie.:D
  • Options
    taurus_67taurus_67 Posts: 6,969
    Forum Member
    I didn't see the game, but the result on paper is shameful and they can't squirm away from that.

How did the young Delle Alli play? We're supposed to be very interested in him.
  • Options
    TheSlothTheSloth Posts: 18,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    taurus_67 wrote: »
    I didn't see the game, but the result on paper is shameful and they can't squirm away from that.

How did the young Delle Alli play? We're supposed to be very interested in him.

He was good - a star in the making.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    He was good - a star in the making.

Get him signed! Get the Norwegian wonder kid signed too!
  • Options
    South Coast52South Coast52 Posts: 5,381
    Forum Member
    oblivian wrote: »
    They can just concentrate on Europe now..........ah.
    Tonight's result is actually good news for Man United.

They can concentrate on their relegation battle now. :D
  • Options
    mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Get him signed! Get the Norwegian wonder kid signed too!

Price just went up! and Utd may need him more :D
  • Options
    Assa2Assa2 Posts: 10,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Was just thinking about our start to the season and to put things into perspective, comparing like-for-like games with last season we're 3pts ahead already having beaten Southampton at home. City away and Chelsea away are the 2 games we're most likely to lose this season. The next game will give a real indication of how our season might turn out. I'm expecting Mario to score and get a yellow at least.
  • Options
    OrchideamOrchideam Posts: 5,497
    Forum Member
    So, tomorrow is the draw for the CL, we are in Pot 3, which means we are going to face a top team, so who do you fancy?

The favourite has to be Barca by a country mile, that team coming to a CL night at Anfield would be a world stopper! The extra extra bonus would be having Luis playing at Anfield again.

Borussia Dortmund with their amazing fanbase would be excellent too.

Easiest options may be AS Roma or Anderlecht, but to be honest, nothing will be easy, but it sure as hell will be fun!

Before I get told off for picking some tough teams - if we want to win we're going to have to beat them.
  • Options
    Assa2Assa2 Posts: 10,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've got zero expectation of us winning so I'd rather we have the best to play against. Barca would be my first choice followed by Munich then Real. Perfect group for me would be Barca, PSG & Roma. All hard games but no long distances to travel.
  • Options
    Draca_NoirDraca_Noir Posts: 1,348
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Assa2 wrote: »
    I've got zero expectation of us winning so I'd rather we have the best to play against. Barca would be my first choice followed by Munich then Real. Perfect group for me would be Barca, PSG & Roma. All hard games but no long distances to travel.

Would love to see Barca also. If we can get out of our group no matter who is in it, that would be absolutely brilliant.
  • Options
    SuperTed_SuperTed_ Posts: 164
    Forum Member
    Bring on the best. Been too long since we've had CL football at Anfield! Bring it on!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I said it at the beginning of the summer when we qualified and I'll repeat it: there will be a few clubs in pots 1 and 2 desperate to avoid Liverpool.

That aside, I'd like to make it through to the knockout stages and have the big games later in the season. So for me a good draw with winnable games would be something like:
    Porto or Benfica
    Schalke or Basel
    Monaco or Maribor

I would like to avoid Real Madrid, Roma and the travels east to Russia or Ukraine.
  • Options
    TheMunchTheMunch Posts: 9,024
    Forum Member
    Having a "group of death" might actually be ideal since we're not going to win it this season. It'll give our players and manager valuable experience that can be used next season provided we get back into the Champions League.
  • Options
    TheMunchTheMunch Posts: 9,024
    Forum Member
    There are pictures of Mario struggling with a bib in training.

He really doesn't like them. :p
  • Options
    promo-onlypromo-only Posts: 3,315
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I said it at the beginning of the summer when we qualified and I'll repeat it: there will be a few clubs in pots 1 and 2 desperate to avoid Liverpool.

Who are the clubs desperate to avoid Liverpool?
  • Options
    ParthenonParthenon Posts: 7,499
    Forum Member
    Nice to see the pictures of Mario and Kolo having a laugh in training. Lallana didn't look too impressed, mind...

Looking at the possible CL draws, I'd like a group along the lines of:

Real Madrid
    Juventus
    Liverpool
    Anderlecht

Not sure how you guys feel about possibly dropping into the Europa League but I think with the winners now getting a CL place it's not too daunting a prospect should it happen. I think we'd have every chance of finishing 2nd in a group like that anyway. Heck, why not 1st? :D I just think it'd be great to play against the biggest clubs from Spain and Italy in our first season back. I also have fond memories of games against them under Rafa!

Of course, I wouldn't complain if we ended up with something like:

Benfica
    Olympiacos/Schalke/Leverkusen
    Liverpool
    Maribor
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    promo-only wrote: »

Norwich. Er, I'm sure they were always in United Champions League group. Along with Barnsley... :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    promo-only wrote: »
    I doubt Dortmund will be in a hurry to come back.

It's just my opinion, but I think Liverpool are the best team in pot 3 and therefore it's logical there will be teams happier to play someone else.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi sorry not been around, preparing to start a new course and I caught bug....

Anyways about the previous game. Disappointed we lost but from what I hear the players did try and they were just more clinical. Maybe Sturridge needed more service - didn't see the game just guessing as I didn't hear many balls teaching him???? Sad about some of injuries and perhaps a few of the commentators will get off the clubs back now with regards of the number of players bought, with cup games and champions league we needed them. Pleased to see Allen playing well, last season we were raving about Henderson it will be great if Allen improves as well. Looking good for the future. Still need to see more of Can, perhaps he won't shine this season as he is very young. Would like us to buy another experienced holding midfield, Gerrard is ageing and Lucas is not the player he was due to injuries, someone to help the defence/disrupt play when it's needed. But still very happy with everything.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    19-year old Kristoffer Peterson has completed a permanent move to FC Utrecht.

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/169671-peterson-completes-switch-to-utrecht

Bit of a shame it's not a loan. He's looked very promising recently. I hope there's a buy-back clause.
  • Options
    misawa97misawa97 Posts: 11,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Parthenon wrote: »
    Nice to see the pictures of Mario and Kolo having a laugh in training. Lallana didn't look too impressed, mind...

Looking at the possible CL draws, I'd like a group along the lines of:

Real Madrid
    Juventus
    Liverpool
    Anderlecht

Not sure how you guys feel about possibly dropping into the Europa League but I think with the winners now getting a CL place it's not too daunting a prospect should it happen. I think we'd have every chance of finishing 2nd in a group like that anyway. Heck, why not 1st? :D I just think it'd be great to play against the biggest clubs from Spain and Italy in our first season back. I also have fond memories of games against them under Rafa!

Of course, I wouldn't complain if we ended up with something like:

Benfica
    Olympiacos/Schalke/Leverkusen
    Liverpool
    Maribor

I would rather finish 4th than 3rd. EL mean Thursday/Sunday games and it would hurt our league form.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Parthenon wrote: »
    19-year old Kristoffer Peterson has completed a permanent move to FC Utrecht.

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/169671-peterson-completes-switch-to-utrecht

Bit of a shame it's not a loan. He's looked very promising recently. I hope there's a buy-back clause.

I was surprised too. He's been with us for a while and was developing well I thought.

Are people tip-toeing around Steven Gerrard's decreasing influence? I only mention it as it was against Spurs away last season that he missed out - and we barely missed him. I fear this could be his last season if we can't shape things better around him.

He's still a fantastic player but if we persist with a front three (of sorts) it puts a lot of pressure on him mopping up and dictating play. I also don't think he's mentally recovered from last season's events and looks subdued. A slightly bit further forward may help if Lovren starts to dominate that central defensive area.

What do others think?
  • Options
    promo-onlypromo-only Posts: 3,315
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I doubt Dortmund will be in a hurry to come back.

It's just my opinion, but I think Liverpool are the best team in pot 3 and therefore it's logical there will be teams happier to play someone else.

No that's cool, I was just genuinely intrigued as to your thoughts behind it is all.
  • Options
    mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was surprised too. He's been with us for a while and was developing well I thought.

Are people tip-toeing around Steven Gerrard's decreasing influence? I only mention it as it was against Spurs away last season that he missed out - and we barely missed him. I fear this could be his last season if we can't shape things better around him.

He's still a fantastic player but if we persist with a front three (of sorts) it puts a lot of pressure on him mopping up and dictating play. I also don't think he's mentally recovered from last season's events and looks subdued. A slightly bit further forward may help if Lovren starts to dominate that central defensive area.

What do others think?

I also suprised by Petersons transfer but perfectly understand why he'd grab the chance for first team football at a decent side.

As for Gerrard, most of us understand that he is now mainly good for dead ball shooting and the odd nice floated pass cross field but is pretty suspect when put under pressure. Rodgers ideally will be willing to get Can into the side more and more as the season develops and hopefully makes a case to stay in the side. Someone like Fernando would have been excellent this summer.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Can only echo Mike's sentiments really. He's still a danger from free kicks and still has the ability to dictate the tempo of a game with his passing against lesser sides, but off the ball he can be somewhat of a liability due to his lack of defensive awareness.

I'd rather see him deployed higher up the pitch, perhaps at the tip of the diamond or behind the striker in a 4-2-3-1, even if it meant him not playing the full 90 minutes each week. I think he could still do serious damage as a number 10, especially if Rodgers told him not to worry so much about his defensive duties. It's never been tried though so I assume that's not an option.
This discussion has been closed.