Options

Virgin broadband been out for 2 hours

Naa_KwaKaiNaa_KwaKai Posts: 1,883
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I just switched from Sky broadband to Virgin and it's a nightmare! This is the second time since yesterday I've lost internet and what's worse is that they're closed from 6 onwards on Saturdays and all day tomorrow. I've tried resetting it but no joy. To other Virgin customers, is this something I can expect often? Constant cut outs?

Comments

• Options
    U96U96 Posts: 13,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've been with Virgin for many years.Loss of any of my services with them has been a very rare occurrence.You can phone them on 0800 561 0061 for live service updates in your area.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 243
    Forum Member
    Monday to Friday 8am to 10.30pm, Saturday and Sunday 9am to 10pm

If you have a virgin phone line dial 150 or 0345 454 2222

We have been with them years always had good service.
  • Options
    welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've had Virgin broadband for over 2.5 years and have always been with the service :)
  • Options
    LyceumLyceum Posts: 3,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been a VM customer since they were blueyonder and didn't have fiber. Have had their fibre since 512mb was the fastest available.

Outrages are thankfully rare and customer service for broadband is open 24/7. I've called them at 1am before. Not that they're much use but they can arrange an engineer then you'll get a txt message if it's an area fault telling you when the fix is due and if not you get an engineer.

In the 10+ years I've been with them is say I've had a total of a few days down time.
  • Options
    myssmyss Posts: 16,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another VM customer, not had a problem with them either. As someone else said, on the rare occurrences my broadband has failed, it has been picked up by engineers by the time I've checked the status or reported it and it's usually back up within minutes (definitely well within the hour). Sorry if you've experienced otherwise, but Sky BB can't be better, well that's coming from my relatives who have it anyway.

I'm glad someone's pointed out the customer service opening times, there's also an online forum where you can also ask and report such issues too.
  • Options
    jackoljackol Posts: 7,887
    Forum Member
    Been with Virgin since they were NTL, outages are normally fixed pretty quick. Shocked you say they are shut though
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Been with NTL/Virgin for 20 years and thoughout that time have only had a small amount of downtime.

Maybe 2 hours a year, or even every two years.

The longer outages have been when they have been upgrading the networks and not just a random outage.
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    Been with Virgin from day one of their takeover of the NTL service I'd had for years and apart from the odd hiccup where I've had to unplug from the mains to re-boot the modem I haven't had any problems.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Twee wrote: »
    Monday to Friday 8am to 10.30pm, Saturday and Sunday 9am to 10pm

If you have a virgin phone line dial 150 or 0345 454 2222

We have been with them years always had good service.

You're right, they are open, the automated message I got earlier said 6 for some reason. Anyway, typically with Virgin (cause I had TV with them before) they couldn't sort it out over the phone. Said a technician needs to come out on Tuesday so that's roughly 3 days without internet and I've only just signed up. Think I'm gonna cancel. £33.49 per month for landline and fibre optic broadband is too much to have things not working for days at a time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    myss wrote: »
    Sorry if you've experienced otherwise, but Sky BB can't be better, well that's coming from my relatives who have it anyway.

Sky broadband is excellent with great deals but the customer service is awful. They lie far too much. I just left them as I couldn't trust a word they said.
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Naa_KwaKai wrote: »
    I just switched from Sky broadband to Virgin and it's a nightmare! This is the second time since yesterday I've lost internet and what's worse is that they're closed from 6 onwards on Saturdays and all day tomorrow. I've tried resetting it but no joy. To other Virgin customers, is this something I can expect often? Constant cut outs?

I'm with VM and have experienced very few network outages over the years.

I've often had the little message in the bottom right hand corner of my screen, which says:-

"Local area network - a network cable is unplugged", which causes loss of internet access.

The lights on the hub are normal, indicating there is not an outage. I'm not sure what causes it, but I can fix it by turning off the PC, rebooting the hub, and re-starting the PC.
  • Options
    HenryGartenHenryGarten Posts: 24,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has the OP got an agenda?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has the OP got an agenda?

...:confused::confused::confused:
  • Options
    Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OP - The people from Syria have just been in touch and asked me to send their thoughts. They say that it must be so difficult for you right now, thank goodness you had a mobile phone to get back onto the internet and post your thread.
  • Options
    UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been with them since before they were Virgin and the few times it's been out in my area it's been fixed within twenty four hours.
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've been with Virgin for about 20 years and there is service outages........I reckon once or twice a year

It's lasted a few days on a couple of occasions in 20 years

Other times it's gone off for maybe 10-12 hours........again rare

Other times it goes off for a couple of hours during the day but does it every day for a few days

Sometimes the TV goes as well..........more often its just the broadband and the TV is OK

I think maybe because I work from home and have the computer on most of the time I notice these little outages of a few hours that you guys who go out to work might not realise are happening ?
  • Options
    DMN1968DMN1968 Posts: 2,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Been with VM for a couple of years. The BB does go down from time to time, but probably no longer than 20 minutes at a time, and usually no more than 2-3 times a year.

I used to be with Sky for the broadband. However when we had a problem, I had to go to and from BT and Sky as they were blaming each other and was without BB for 6 weeks and a phone for over 2 months, hence the switch the VM. At least with VM as they provide the BB and the infrastructure behind it, they cannot slop shoulders and say its BT's fault.
  • Options
    chrisii2011chrisii2011 Posts: 2,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Virgin tv anywhere is terrible. If you try to watch anything it buffers every twenty seconds. have complained
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Naa_KwaKai wrote: »
    Sky broadband is excellent with great deals but the customer service is awful. They lie far too much. I just left them as I couldn't trust a word they said.

I don't like SKY. They are great at start up deals, but have zero loyalty to their established customers.
  • Options
    nobabydaddynobabydaddy Posts: 2,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm on Virgin and it happens about once a year, if that. If you're having problems ring them up. They will send out an engineer free of charge if they can't solve it at their end.

I'm very happy with their service. My 150mb connection is the reason why I haven't jumped ship for 8 years.
  • Options
    MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When mine went wonky it was due to them messing with the green box and putting me on a less powerful connection on the board than was needed for the length of cable to the house but after sorting it out they put a 'do not move' sticker on the plug as apparently they'll move everyone around to ensure the new installation they're doing works and if it creates another call due to them moving everyone around well it keeps them in a job was the general attitude
  • Options
    alr837alr837 Posts: 1,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    in 10+ years I've only had one significant outage - that was in the last few months and lost internet and TV for a week, for which I was compensated for.
    The other outages have been brief and generally down to the rubbish modem/ router. Sometimes they helpline arrange a technician to visit before they actually realise it is a bigger issue, and they'll sort the problem and cancel the appointment.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm on Virgin and it happens about once a year, if that. If you're having problems ring them up. They will send out an engineer free of charge if they can't solve it at their end.

I'm very happy with their service. My 150mb connection is the reason why I haven't jumped ship for 8 years.

You wouldn't have had 150 meg 8 years ago.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for all your replies. I'm glad it's working out for you guys but I had TV with them and I'm worried that I'm going to lose internet every five minutes. Do you suppose they do it on purpose?