Options

Poor Iain Lee got shafted by Gary

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 137
    Forum Member
    Well that's it. I don't like it when celebrities suddenly take to twitter to bitch about something that's just happened which they don't like.
    I think it's undignified and feels like they are trying to get their fans onside.

I think in this situation there was a lot going on for Gary to take in. Perhaps it may have been more appropriate to ask him when all the hoo haa had died down a bit.
    There was possibly good reason and it would have been more prudent to leave it for a while before taking to twitter to publicly voice his discontent.

agreed...no doubt there was a lot of commotion going on.

Gary probably a little confused or addled. Family is there..fans are there
    noise, being hustled along to get to the bbots studio.

i am sure had Iain waited until things settled down, Gary would have been more than happy to sign for him.

To tweet about it though...just seems spiteful
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So Iain, a massive Gary fan, gets to meet his idol for all of 2 minutes and was annoyed by him and now doesn't like him.

Interesting.............
  • Options
    moonlilymoonlily Posts: 7,894
    Forum Member
    2la wrote: »
    Maybe he's got shaky hands and gets embarrassed.

I wondered that too.

More impressed that Iain's been photographed with the surviving Monkees :o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 127
    Forum Member
    Sorry but I don't see what the big deal is :/
    Gary just got out of a house where he's been cut off from the world for 3 weeks. The first thing he did when he got out was lean over the stairs and profess his love to his wife.

Autographs will be the last thing on his mind right now.
  • Options
    Scarlett BerryScarlett Berry Posts: 21,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zidane82 wrote: »
    I am pleased. What goes around , comes around as they say. Ian Lee is somene who is very happy to say cruel things about someone just to get a laugh.I detest the guy.

So do I. What I find even more hilarious is Mr. Not So Cool Iain Lee looking for an autograph. What age is he, 13:p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,751
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've read that Busey is 500K in debt. He makes his living, such as it is, giving signed autographs and making appearances. He has a small child to think of. In view of this, he's obviously been instructed not to sign anything just shoved in front of him by autograph hunters. And that is fair enough.
  • Options
    robborocksrobborocks Posts: 2,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've read that Busey is 500K in debt. He makes his living, such as it is, giving signed autographs and making appearances. He has a small child to think of. In view of this, he's obviously been instructed not to sign anything just shoved in front of him by autograph hunters. And that is fair enough.

Does he charge £500k per autograph then? If not I'm sure 1 wouldn't have dented his earnings too much.

Imagine if this was Dee (who also needs the money) the outcry from the people defending Gary here would be entirely different.

I dipped in and out of the series and watched the final as I had a bet on Audley from the off but all the bits I saw I quite liked Gary, this makes him look rude and petty.
  • Options
    aggsaggs Posts: 29,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is very poor from you,
    Most hollywood actors refuse autographs Jack Nicholson for one never signs.That is why his is worth a lot.
    You are making something of nothing.
    Oh! by the way Gary does not do requested shout outs either as seen on the Oscars red carpet.

I remember hearing Chris Boardman, in his competing days, talk about signing autographs. He said that you can't just sign one - because you then end up with a swarm of people around you all wanting you to 'just sign this, it'll only take a second' and that no one remembers the bucket load you have signed - but they only remember the first one you don't.
  • Options
    Fairy WingsFairy Wings Posts: 5,680
    Forum Member
    **JennaJ** wrote: »
    I believe Gary doesn't sign stuff in public anymore, but if Ian wants to send it to Stephanie I'm sure she will get Gary to sign it for him...;)

"You" believe he doesn't sign autographs anymore? Do you have any proof or is it just an invented excuse to cover his rudeness?
  • Options
    KrommKromm Posts: 6,180
    Forum Member
    aggs wrote: »
    I remember hearing Chris Boardman, in his competing days, talk about signing autographs. He said that you can't just sign one - because you then end up with a swarm of people around you all wanting you to 'just sign this, it'll only take a second' and that no one remembers the bucket load you have signed - but they only remember the first one you don't.
    Exactly. The "why couldn't he spare time for one little autograph" thing is total unreality. They don't, not because they are mean (some are, but not because of this) but because of the chaos it causes. There's no such thing as one. Maybe if it was in a private back room or something, but even there the typical trained response will probably be to talk to their management--which also has the benefit of properly documenting the signature so there aren't fakes floating around. If you shut down all signings except the ones passed through your management, then there's a record of what's real and so the number of fakes goes down to almost zero.

This is true even of the stars that don't have Busey's financial motives on top of that.
  • Options
    Spidey1Spidey1 Posts: 2,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sqv wrote: »
    Noooooo... i am so disappointed in Gary. Do we know why he said no?

Because Gary doesn't find him funny. just like everybody else doesn't :)
  • Options
    ValentineValentine Posts: 3,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Spidey1 wrote: »
    Because Gary doesn't find him funny. just like everybody else doesn't :)

I like Iain and find him very funny. Admittedly, his tongue in cheek, dry humour maybe isn't something that everyone 'gets', but I think he's great.

As for the autograph thing, no matter than Gary only signs at conventions etc for money, I do think it's a bit mean spirited and can understand why Iain - a big fan anyway and someone who has championed Gary throughout (and Iain is like an enthusiastic puppy) - being upset and disappointed. It's not like Gary was at the Oscars, or in a big crowd where he'd be inundated with people demanding he sign things.

In general, these Hollywood actors are just up their own @rses - I don't know who they think they are. They play act for a living, that's it - they're not brain surgeons - life would go on very well without any of them.
  • Options
    Scarlett BerryScarlett Berry Posts: 21,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    robborocks wrote: »
    Does he charge £500k per autograph then? If not I'm sure 1 wouldn't have dented his earnings too much.

Imagine if this was Dee (who also needs the money) the outcry from the people defending Gary here would be entirely different.

I dipped in and out of the series and watched the final as I had a bet on Audley from the off but all the bits I saw I quite liked Gary, this makes him look rude and petty.

No quite frankly I can't...who in their right mind would want that womans scribble on anything..:D:D hilarious
  • Options
    StardogStardog Posts: 2,415
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You are probably right. I read this recently on IMDB:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000144/board/nest/214745274?d=216554800#216554800
    I can understand how it seems harsh that they won't let you take their picture. Part of their contract for showing up at these events is that they get paid for their image. This is why they don't allow anyone to just take their picture.

Also, take this into account. You have a lot of people who would snap and try to sell it, a lot like the paparazzi. You may pay $40.00 for his pic and autograph, and others do this and then charge more for it on eBay.

It's a system to protect the celebrity and I think it just needs to be clarified better up front.

If serious fans are paying $20+ for his autograph at conventions and such, why would he give it to others for free. It rips off those who paid.
  • Options
    Rosie PrimroseRosie Primrose Posts: 291
    Forum Member
    He was probably afraid it would go straight on eBay
  • Options
    ZeraseZerase Posts: 475
    Forum Member
    Oh dear. Is Iain going to be added to the list of evil ones now?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    He was probably afraid it would go straight on eBay

Gary himself probably has no idea what ebay even is. But he's got a WifeFriend/GirlWife, or whatever the hell she's called, and a business manager, who have probably been in his ear for years to not sign or pose for anything. If we've seen anything, it's that Gary is trainable with repetition. Well he's been trained this way.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 465
    Forum Member
    I think a lot of celebs do this, the fee goes to charity, my daughter was annoyed that a comedian wouldnt sign stuff at the stage door, he charges £7 a go and proceeds go to charity, another example, we were at Port Izaac where Doc matin is filmed, and signs said you could buy ?? the actor(I have forgotten name LOL) signed photos, for some pounds, but he didn't sign stuff if you saw him there, their way of raising money for charity - I beleive proceeds form Gary's signing stuff goes to his foundation too
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think a lot of celebs do this, the fee goes to charity, my daughter was annoyed that a comedian wouldnt sign stuff at the stage door, he charges £7 a go and proceeds go to charity, another example, we were at Port Izaac where Doc matin is filmed, and signs said you could buy ?? the actor(I have forgotten name LOL) signed photos, for some pounds, but he didn't sign stuff if you saw him there, their way of raising money for charity - I beleive proceeds form Gary's signing stuff goes to his foundation too
    I know Gary's kid has Kawasaki Disease, and that's what the foundation is about, but Gary himself is still financially deep in the hole otherwise.

So I think the Busey Foundation is mostly just a group borrowing Busey's name, and using Gary occasionally, but even moreso Steffanie Sampson, as it's figurehead.

In the end I'd guess that all of the speaking engagements (where Gary just shows up and honks a lot and spouts acronyms and rambles a lot, but then does autographs) probably pay the part of his rent that his many cameos and his occasional residuals don't.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 143
    Forum Member
    The Busey Foundation's FB and Twitter could do with some love. Is it actually still active?
  • Options
    muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eurostar wrote: »
    So everyone has to go along with Ian Lee's agenda in highlighting this most trivial of incidents? Sounds like the proverbial storm in a teacup, and the only person put out by it
    should be Ian himself.....not sure why he even felt compelled to tweet about Gary's refusal.
    Because these are the kind of things people tweet about, that's what Twitter's full of, plus he's a DJ and presenter and they tweet about things that will cause conversation and discussion.
    SegaGamer wrote: »
    I'm sure the guy would survive if he just signed one frigging DVD. It's hardly going to set him back. The guy is an ex hollywood actor for goodness sake, i am sure he isn't that hard up.

If he was that hard up he wouldn't be donating all of his money to charity
    The thing I saw that people were putting up, said something like he was on the show to raise awareness and money for his charity (words to that effect), not that he was donating ALL of his earnings to charity. He would have a family to support, agent to pay, bills to pay, etc out of what he earns on CBB.
  • Options
    bigbro24bigbro24 Posts: 11,987
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ha ha Shame Iain Lee, SHAME! :D Iain Lee is a precious fool anyway.

He said he chucked his DVD in the bin, does that mean he can't still enjoy the film cos of what Gary did? Silly.
    There are celebrities who I like or whose work I like but I wouldn't have any expectations of them if I met them IRL.
  • Options
    cavallicavalli Posts: 18,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    eviled2010 wrote: »
    Lee's so up himself, he signs his own DVDs.

Heh :D
  • Options
    ScreamingTree<3ScreamingTree<3 Posts: 4,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry but I don't find it rude not to sign a dvd. Not all 'stars' sign things or take autographs.

It doesn't matter if the person they say no to is 'famous' or not.

A lot of people decline giving autographs etc.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 245
    Forum Member
    sqv wrote: »
    Noooooo... i am so disappointed in Gary. Do we know why he said no?

Because his autographs are sold for his charity, rather than 'fans' selling them on ebay etc.