Options

Unintentionaly scary moments in games

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,012
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I dont mean in Dead Space etc which is meant to scare you I mean in games that are otherwise not scary. For example was playing Borderlands and I had dealt with the turret mini boss when I turned round only to see one of those massive spiders . I nearly shit myself . Also the suiciders in Dead Island and the noise they made I found quite creepy (even though the game wasnt).

Comments

• Options
    Jimmy_McNultyJimmy_McNulty Posts: 11,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Any MP and you are searching for enemies, and you turn around and there is one right there a few mms from you.

Shits me up every time :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Any MP and you are searching for enemies, and you turn around and there is one right there a few mms from you.

Shits me up every time :D
    MP?:confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's a moment in heavy rain playing as a women in her apartment when she wakes up in the middle of the night not knowing what to do i made a drink and then decided to use the bathroom as nothing else was working took a shower and after she gets dressed there was a bang outside the door knowing the character was along this alarmed me and when i opened the bathroom door a robber quickly run across the screen and it genuinly scared me half to death

I think it was the realism of the game that helped with scaring me as i was going what i would normally do at night but of the game and then suddenly there was a robber
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 267
    Forum Member
    That moment in a game when you have your sights up ready to shoot someone in front of you or in that high pressure situation and your controller runs out of juice. Instead of being in control, pwn'ing or gracefully completing the task set your flapping around frantically trying to find recharge lead! :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 633
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sneaking through a cave in Skyrim and kicking a pile of bones. Always gets me!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 435
    Forum Member
    Those weird sea creatures in Half Life 1, scared the hell out of me when it swam at me after I fell in the water.
  • Options
    ÆnimaÆnima Posts: 38,548
    Forum Member
    Rainbow six vegas terrorist hunt when one suddenly appears from round a corner killing you instantly!

I also remember in half life 1, there were these sort of assassin women that ran really quickly- almost sent my keyboard flying and fired an rpg grenade from my mp5 at the same time :D

Also (showing my age :D), there was an enemy called spawn in quake 1 that moved really quickly and made strange noises. It'd chase you round half the level if you didn't kill it quickly enough. I still shudder thinking about it :D

I find most games that try to be scary actually aren't. You're expecting the scares- a lot of them are scripted and they're all too cliche.
  • Options
    calvin101calvin101 Posts: 332
    Forum Member
    I can't be the only one that jumps every time your horse wanders up behind you after you've defeated a colossi and started the next mission in Shadow Of The Colossus...can I?
  • Options
    LongBallPleaseLongBallPlease Posts: 2,011
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I realised how many bugs they are in Crysis 2, it's scary to think developers can sell unfinished games.
  • Options
    SuperAPJSuperAPJ Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The first mission for Auntie Poulet in GTA: Vice City, where you had to race around collecting drug packages with an increasing 'Wanted' level. It scared me when, during the in-game night time, I approached the first package and a SWAT member popped up, aiming his gun and whispered something like "Don't move!". Actually, the cutscenes with Auntie Poulet were pretty creepy too.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ænima wrote: »
    Rainbow six vegas terrorist hunt when one suddenly appears from round a corner killing you instantly!

I also remember in half life 1, there were these sort of assassin women that ran really quickly- almost sent my keyboard flying and fired an rpg grenade from my mp5 at the same time :D

Also (showing my age :D), there was an enemy called spawn in quake 1 that moved really quickly and made strange noises. It'd chase you round half the level if you didn't kill it quickly enough. I still shudder thinking about it :D

I find most games that try to be scary actually aren't. You're expecting the scares- a lot of them are scripted and they're all too cliche.

I remember that!

I installed the Quake demo when it came with PC Gamer or something like that and in the first level, all the doors grind slowly aside, so at the end of the map you walk towards a door and instead of opening slowly it disappears, with a Fiend behind it trying to claw your face off.

Shat myself.

Although I wouldn't call it unintentionally scary :P

I always found the first part of half life pretty creepy, up till you meet the death squad. Particularly the big tentacle monster in the rocket silo, that hunts by sound.

*shudder*
  • Options
    PinSarlaPinSarla Posts: 4,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree about those water monsters in HL1, made me terrified of water for a while :D

Also agree with those moments in multiplayer when someone creeps up behind me!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 50
    Forum Member
    In Red dead redemption when you heat a Cougar growl.

Or when you see a Bear running after you!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 118
    Forum Member
    in the first harry potter lego when there are gigantic lego spiders.

its a kids game ffs.:o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PatsyClap wrote: »
    In Red dead redemption when you heat a Cougar growl.
    Or when you see a Bear running after you!
    They sound like James Brown! :cool:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 88
    Forum Member
    Sneaking through a cave in Skyrim and kicking a pile of bones. Always gets me!

True.:D
    I notice i loose some health also.:):)
  • Options
    Benry_GaleBenry_Gale Posts: 1,226
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The butler always appearing right behind you, Tomb Raider.

The suicide in Luigis Mansion, I loaded it up thinking it was a simple kids game, apparently not!
  • Options
    Yoshi FanYoshi Fan Posts: 13,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Super Mario 64. Jolly Roger Bay:
    "Can The Eel Come Out To Play?"

Trying to get that star for the first time as a seven year old frightened the shit out of me. Even now, I'm still scared of that eel.:(
  • Options
    davethorpdavethorp Posts: 8,701
    Forum Member
    I've jumped on occasion when the screen shatters to start a random encounter fight in final fantasy X
  • Options
    mirrorimagemirrorimage Posts: 4,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The end of "Manhunt" when you're in the basement with Pigsy.
    Nearly all of LIMBO
  • Options
    Jimmy_McNultyJimmy_McNulty Posts: 11,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TOONARMY12 wrote: »
    MP?:confused:

Multiplayer.
  • Options
    LadyxxmacbethLadyxxmacbeth Posts: 1,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The end of "Manhunt" when you're in the basement with Pigsy.
    Nearly all of LIMBO

I agree totally LIMBO was really good for that!

The neverending story text adventure on the spectrum....I always found TNES really frightening as a kid.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 59
    Forum Member
    So there I was in the lifeguard tower on Dead Island, happily upgrading and modding a weapon on the work top without a care in the world.
    I finished creating my wonderful undead slayer and quit the work top only to be confronted by a pitch black silhouetted figure (strangely looking like Stig of the Dump) and holding the biggest club ever
    Totally brown trouser time.
    At the time I did not realise that a player could join another players game without a specific invite when they were in the same vicinity.