Options

Wimbledon 2013 Coverage

Ginger DaddyGinger Daddy Posts: 8,507
Forum Member
Thought a new thread would be better rather than the current one about Sky getting the rights:
Wimbledon 2013 will be the BBC's biggest ever on digital with a record 10 live streams available on computer, tablet, mobile and connected TV.

There will be comprehensive coverage and analysis not only on television, radio and computer, but also tablet, mobile and connected TV.

BBC One, BBC One HD, BBC Two and BBC Two HD will have more live coverage.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/tennis/22844002

Do they normally have ten televised courts at Wimbledon? Or could some of the streams be highlight reels?

Also, I assume Eurosport have rights too?

Comments

• Options
    Li4mLi4m Posts: 5,692
    Forum Member

They don't normally, do they?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Li4m wrote: »
    They don't normally, do they?

Thats why I asked :D

I swear I have seen it on there before, perhaps not.
  • Options
    BKMBKM Posts: 6,912
    Forum Member
    Do they normally have ten televised courts at Wimbledon? Or could some of the streams be highlight reels?
    In previous years the BBC have had about 6 "red button streams" on DSAT and 3 on DTT. With the cutting-down of the red-button service they are moving to IPTV streaming for these alternate courrts instead.

In the first week these streams show outer court matches. In the second week they can also show highlights of completed matches.
    No! Never have had! Eurosport get rights via the EBU or their parent broadcaster (TF1???). In France Canal+ have Wimbledon AFAIR
  • Options
    Forum Member
    BKM wrote: »
    In previous years the BBC have had about 6 "red button streams" on DSAT and 3 on DTT. With the cutting-down of the red-button service they are moving to IPTV streaming for these alternate courrts instead.

In the first week these streams show outer court matches. In the second week they can also show highlights of completed matches.

No! Never have had!

Fair enough about Eurosport.

As for the rest of your post - I knew they had 6 streams on red button in the past, however I never knew Wimbledon had 10 courts set up for television broadcast. Off the top of my head I thought the only courts broadcast were Centre, 1,2,3,4 13, 18 and 19?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    As for the rest of your post - I knew they had 6 streams on red button in the past, however I never knew Wimbledon had 10 courts set up for television broadcast. Off the top of my head I thought the only courts broadcast were Centre, 1,2,3,4 13, 18 and 19?
    They can cover some of the other other courts (with just one camera) by means of "poking a camera out a window" on the Centre Court building. Some are as, you say, properly covered - with more than one camera - like Court 18.

With 10 streams they are either going to cover more courts properly or show more highlights of completed matches.
  • Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,898
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    With the cancellation of the 6 "red button streams" on DSAT I am going to be limited in what match I am able to watch.

I am certainly not interested in watching matches on my computer screen. This seems a step backwards to me.
  • Options
    THOMOTHOMO Posts: 7,452
    Forum Member
    With the cancellation of the 6 "red button streams" on DSAT I am going to be limited in what match I am able to watch.

I am certainly not interested in watching matches on my computer screen. This seems a step backwards to me.
    I'm the same as you with Sky and I also agree it is a backward step to have far less streams via the red button.
    Ian.
  • Options
    malcy30malcy30 Posts: 7,177
    Forum Member
    THOMO wrote: »
    I'm the same as you with Sky and I also agree it is a backward step to have far less streams via the red button.
    Ian.

I agree but was attacked for saying this. The BBC should make the ip streams work on the Sky HD box in the same way as they have done with connected TVs and TiVo. Whilst they are at it these should be on Youview and the new Freesat boxes as well using ip streams.
  • Options
    StigidStigid Posts: 2,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good News...........

A BBC Red Button summer

Alix Pryde Director, BBC Distribution

I’m writing with some exciting news about the BBC’s plans to offer you additional coverage of great sporting and musical events this summer, including additional HD.

There will be extra courts from Wimbledon and extra stages from Glastonbury.

And on top of that, we’ll be offering you HD coverage of a range of other events too numerous to list in full, so make sure you keep an eye on the Red Button what’s on.

But to give you a taster I can tell you that it will include the British F1 Grand Prix, Women’s Euros, Diamond League Athletics, Moto GP and the Confederations Cup.

This summer is our first experiment, and we’ll be launching:
    • An HD red button stream on Freeview HD/Youview, Sky HD, Virgin Media and Freesat HD
    • One additional SD red button stream on Freeview/BT Vision/Youview (digital terrestrial television, DTT)
    • Two additional SD red button streams on Sky, Virgin Media and Freesat (satellite and cable)
    We’ve listened to your feedback so we know that many of you like to be able to record what is broadcast on the red button streams.

Therefore we have arranged for the streams to be listed in electronic programme guides

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/aboutthebbc/posts/A-BBC-Red-Button-summer
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I assume they are using the spare HD capacity on freeview like they did for the olympics last year?
  • Options
    Clank007Clank007 Posts: 2,799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My biggest gripe about the coverage - which i assume would happen under any broadcaster - is the action replay repeat of nearly every point immediately after the point has been played.
    There is no need to see just about every point again but that didnt stop the BBC last year.

Oh yes, and dont get me started on the ludicous 'ultra slo mo' replays!
  • Options
    STEVE 03STEVE 03 Posts: 7,856
    Forum Member
    It would be good to see extended highlights on BBC2 every morning say from 6am until 9am each day. They used to show 'Yesterday at Wimbledon' every morning throughout the tournamet.
  • Options
    The WandererThe Wanderer Posts: 5,238
    Forum Member
    In France Canal+ have Wimbledon AFAIR

Correct - seems to be on those sorts of channels in most major European nations - Sky have it in Germany and Italy
  • Options
    Andy79Andy79 Posts: 403
    Forum Member
    Correct - seems to be on those sorts of channels in most major European nations - Sky have it in Germany and Italy

Having covered Wimbledon as a journalist for the past five years or so, if memory serves me right, there is a camera for every court - in the press office, there's like a wall of tv screens with a camera from each court. pretty sure it's all on film!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 798
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There is far far too much coverage of Wimbledon.
    It is non stop on both channels all day after what seems like an eternity it finally finishes, you have the news and then guess what? Bl**dy highlights of the tedious cr@p that's just been on.: mad:
    I wish the whole lot would go to Sky
  • Options
    THOMOTHOMO Posts: 7,452
    Forum Member
    Hewjars wrote: »
    There is far far too much coverage of Wimbledon.
    It is non stop on both channels all day after what seems like an eternity it finally finishes, you have the news and then guess what? Bl**dy highlights of the tedious cr@p that's just been on.: mad:
    I wish the whole lot would go to Sky

And I wish there was no reality programes or soaps that take up far more hours than sport. The BBC now have so little sport that's its really good that they are having hours and hours on two BBC channels.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
    Ian.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    STEVE 03 wrote: »
    It would be good to see extended highlights on BBC2 every morning say from 6am until 9am each day. They used to show 'Yesterday at Wimbledon' every morning throughout the tournamet.
    "Yesterday at Wimbledon" is just the repeat of "Today at Wimbledon" from the previous evening. The Today programme often gets scrapped due to overrunning matches.......so this means no Yesterday for that day either!

It's a bit stupid - as entire days can have no summary at all!
  • Options
    ShawnaShawna Posts: 569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    malcy30 wrote: »
    I agree but was attacked for saying this. The BBC should make the ip streams work on the Sky HD box in the same way as they have done with connected TVs and TiVo.
    It's up to Sky to make their set top boxes fit for purpose in a connected world. Virgin didn't sit by twiddling their thumbs in hopes of a miracle, but instead decided to partner with the BBC to create next-generation Red Button services on TiVo.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latestnews/191211redbutton.html

Daniel Danker, general manager of BBC programmes and on demand at the BBC told us, "Sky is a closed platform – I shouldn't even call it a platform, it's a closed service. There's no open platform to develop into. I have no line of sight of Connected Red Button coming to Sky unless they shift their approach."

http://www.techradar.com/news/television/tv/bbc-relaunches-red-button-with-iplayer-friendly-web-boost-1117026
  • Options
    markelliottmarkelliott Posts: 3,573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Yesterday at Wimbledon" is just the repeat of "Today at Wimbledon" from the previous evening. The Today programme often gets scrapped due to overrunning matches.......so this means no Yesterday for that day either!

It's a bit stupid - as entire days can have no summary at all!

Today At Wimbledon often gets delayed or scrapped due the stupid BBC scheduling, not because of overrunning matches! For the past few years they've put this programme in the 8pm slot which is utter madness because live tennis is still normally being played until 9pm or slightly later. There's no way it should be on before 9pm. You'd think the BBC would learn from this. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Today At Wimbledon often gets delayed or scrapped due the stupid BBC scheduling, not because of overrunning matches! For the past few years they've put this programme in the 8pm slot which is utter madness because live tennis is still normally being played until 9pm or slightly later. There's no way it should be on before 9pm. You'd think the BBC would learn from this. :rolleyes:
    Yes you are correct! I recall this madness now!

For what they are paying for Wimbledon and the large audience for highlights both the initial time of 8pm AND not moving it to a later slot if required seemed a total waste of money! One year - it could have been last year - they ended up scrapping about one third of the scheduled TaWs!!!
  • Options
    ShrewnShrewn Posts: 6,855
    Forum Member
    Yes, have liked ITV's French Open highlights after News at Ten. Today at Wimbledon is too early at 8pm. It always used to be later in the Des and Gerry days

My only hope is that 5 Live get there act together and get back to covering it properly rather than having idiot Bacon sat there slagging the whole thing off.
  • Options
    TOON FANTOON FAN Posts: 1,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shrewn wrote: »
    Yes, have liked ITV's French Open highlights after News at Ten. Today at Wimbledon is too early at 8pm. It always used to be later in the Des and Gerry days

My only hope is that 5 Live get there act together and get back to covering it properly rather than having idiot Bacon sat there slagging the whole thing off.

John Inverdale is presenting 12pm-4pm, with Shelagh Fogarty presenting 4pm-8pm. So Five Live is a Bacon free zone for Wimbledon.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/mediapacks/wimbledon2013/
  • Options
    ShrewnShrewn Posts: 6,855
    Forum Member
    TOON FAN wrote: »
    John Inverdale is presenting 12pm-4pm, with Shelagh Fogarty presenting 4pm-8pm. So Five Live is a Bacon free zone for Wimbledon.

Cheers - thank God for that!
  • Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,898
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    TOON FAN wrote: »

I never knew that - thank you. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    TAW being on at that time is ridiculous. Unless play is rained off on the outside courts there is often still a main match going on.

In terms of the red button well I also think it's a step backwards. Not everyone wants to watch Murray/Federer/Nadal all the time. I also like to be able to watch programs on my TV, not laptop or some other device!

I'm a Sky Customer so can someone please simplify what I will be able to watch this year, how many other options will there be apart from what they are are showing on BBC1 & BBC2?