Gordon Ramsay's Home Cooking - weekdays C4 @ 12.05pm

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 653
Forum Member
✭✭
Couldn't find a thread. Anyone been watching?

Has the same look/feel as his Ultimate Cookery Course. Just catching up with the first episode from yesterday and he's showing recipes for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Not sure if every episode is set up in the same way. I'm liking it so far. Not sure if I'll actually make any of the recipes though!

Comments

• tgabbertgabber Posts: 2,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very much enjoying it. Nice to see his family too, his mum was a hoot!

Gordon is a great cookery presenter and it's a relief not to have him doing his cartoonish 'angry-man' act for a change (which I get the impression is often put on in other shows as that's what the viewers expect of him).
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I've got it on serieslink but haven't watched it yet.

I was lucky to catch it because when I saw it on at midday I thought it must have been a repeat.
    I looked it up to make sure and realised it was a new show.

Strange scheduling as Jamie's show has just finished on Monday night's at 8pm followed be Tom Kerridge on BBC2.
    Forum Member
    Oh no, just seen the trailer and he's got his family involved :rolleyes:
  • tgabbertgabber Posts: 2,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Oh no, just seen the trailer and he's got his family involved :rolleyes:

I think the family involvement works really well - he explains the cooking techniques very clearly for whichever of his children is helping out and the whole thing feels very natural and unrehearsed.
    Forum Member
    Just watched the first episode and I could really do without the family being involved.
  • frangipanefrangipane Posts: 930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I watched the episode on Italian food and was gob-smacked that he said "expresso" twice. I imagined David Mitchell popping round to shoot him in the face. But it seems that Gordon's background in French cuisine would have saved him. They spell and pronounce it "expresso".
  • Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    frangipane wrote: »
    I watched the episode on Italian food and was gob-smacked that he said "expresso" twice. I imagined David Mitchell popping round to shoot him in the face. But it seems that Gordon's background in French cuisine would have saved him. They spell and pronounce it "expresso".

Ha ha! Brilliant sketch. Mitchell would completely justified in doing so as the French actually call it 'un express', not 'un expresso'.
    Forum Member
    Christmas special is on tonight
    Forum Member
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Christmas special is on tonight
    Just watching this now and it's not a christmas special at all. It's a highlights show with some added christmas scenes and music.
  • BlueEyedMrsPBlueEyedMrsP Posts: 12,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I prefer angry Gordon. :D

I found some of the dialogue slightly, I dunno, strange? He pulled out a roast pork from the oven, his daughter said, 'Dad, that looks amazing!' and he replied, 'yeah, absolutely spectacular'. Uhh, it's just a roast. :confused: I mean the guy's a top chef, I'm sure his food is delicious, I guess I just don't find his family that intersting. If I want engaging dialogue I'd rather watch the Hairy Bikers.
    Forum Member
    There's also the pronunciations getting his kids and mother to say Dijon and Salsa Verde.

Aye Gordon, no one gives a shit about a pronunciation flourish.
  • allafixallafix Posts: 20,690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I preferred sweary Gordon too. This isn't about cooking, it's about relaunching Gordon as a family friendly TV chef. The family stuff just doesn't work though. Each of his children got some herb or other stuffed under their noses and were expected to identify it. I couldn't help imagining the tears in years gone by when they were not able to please their dad by doing so. Mrs R (introduced as "and of course Tana" in the opening shots) doesn't get to suffer the cookery treatment. In fact we don't see her much at all, though we did see her watching Ramsay senior being taught how to say "salsa verde" very embarrassingly.

Obviously he's not going to say the food is crap but I got very fed up with him saying his food is delicious all the time. Most TV chefs use someone else to taste the food and get them to say how good it is. He might just as well stand there and say "this TV show is great, because I made it".

As for his cheating with pre-cooked or pre-prepared ingredients, that was the last straw. You watch these shows to see how things are prepared properly. The lobster was ready cooked and he used instant polenta. Imagine if he'd used instant mash? :o