Boomers - new comedy coming to BBC One, 15 August

BritFlicks1BritFlicks1 Posts: 631
Forum Member
✭✭
Boomers follows the ups and downs of three couples living in Thurnemouth, 'Norfolk's only West facing resort'.

There's Alan and Joyce (Phil Jackson and Alison Steadman), who are coming at retirement from very different directions; Alan wants to slow down, Joyce wants to speed up. Alan tries to avoid as many of Joyce's social commitments as possible, but downsizing to a bungalow has meant there are fewer places for him to hide.

John and Maureen (Russ Abbot and Stephanie Beacham), living in their gadget filled dream house, adventurous in every aspect of life including the bedroom. For them 60 is the new 40, however there's a reminder of what's around the corner with Maureen's ever present mum Joan (June Whitfield).

And finally there's Trevor and Carol (James Smith and Paula Wilcox) who've got non communication down to such a fine art, that if Carol spent a weekend away, Trevor might not even notice.

30 years of living in each other's pockets have shown the benefits and drawbacks of the group staying friends...

Each couple takes a long hard look at who they've ended up with, there's so much more they could achieve in their own lives, do they want to spend the rest of it with each other?

We follow their adventures including an anniversary celebration that ticks all the wrong boxes, the arrival of a blast from Alan's past on the group, and a World War Two Nostalgia Night causes battle lines to be drawn up.

Comments

• IJoinedInMayIJoinedInMay Posts: 26,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a bit run of the mill so far. An OAP referring to Skype/any new technology; a cocky ex-pat; a younger wife etc. It feels like I've seen it all before in various sketches.
  • WillpurryWillpurry Posts: 2,768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh dear.
  • nick202nick202 Posts: 9,919
    Forum Member
    I was looking forward to this but it's all a bit underwhelming so far.
  • stv viewerstv viewer Posts: 17,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is OK. A nice happy comedy like modern last of the summer wine
  • anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Is this meant to be a comedy? I haven't laughed once. Maybe I'm not the target audience of between 75 and death.
  • nick202nick202 Posts: 9,919
    Forum Member
    There's the odd funny line but overall it's just not hitting the spot.
  • Ollie_h19Ollie_h19 Posts: 8,548
    Forum Member
    That was dull. Made me want to watch that shite on Channel 4.
  • BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,548
    Forum Member
    Really disappointed. Thought I would have a few giggles but nothing.

Maybe when June Whitfield is in it it may liven up.
  • baggiovalderrambaggiovalderram Posts: 704
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Made me chuckle on a few occasions...will watch next week...
  • Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    Don't know what others found 'wrong' with it, it was alright for me amusing lines here and there.
    Odd juxtaposition in my mind, Nigel Planer from the Young Ones alongside Russ Abbot from Mad House, as friends.
    I probably would have got more out of it if I'd concentrated on it though.
  • sixtynotoutsixtynotout Posts: 1,142
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was ok and I did laugh a few times but I suppose I'm the right demographic for it being a baby boomer myself. New Tricks is a really popular show so maybe this has potential. Will give it another try next week.
  • WillpurryWillpurry Posts: 2,768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was ok and I did laugh a few times but I suppose I'm the right demographic for it being a baby boomer myself. New Tricks is a really popular show so maybe this has potential. Will give it another try next week.

Could you let us in on where the jokes were? You know - those things that any decent sitcom has, however 'gentle'.
  • kernow19kernow19 Posts: 1,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Miserable s*ds...............I thoroughly enjoyed it. Shame it was only half an hour.
  • ScotlassScotlass Posts: 819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I quite enjoyed it too, got potential.
  • Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member

Well I'm the wrong demographic, if Baby Boomers is the show's demographic.
    I'm also the wrong demographic for most of the Radio 4 comedy I listen to.
  • J.RJ.R Posts: 2,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was Ok, amusing, interesting. A lot of comedies need a few episodes to take off. Takes a while to get used to the characters. I shall watch it again to see how it goes on.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 85
    Forum Member
    Terrible. Wanted to laugh but could not find one incident to laugh at. A fine cast let down by a pathetic script. (Did a script actually exist?)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 85
    Forum Member
    stv viewer wrote: »
    This is OK. A nice happy comedy like modern last of the summer wine
    Please explain exactly when you did laugh.?
  • greygrey Posts: 5,032
    Forum Member
    What a shame , such good actors and nothing funny in the whole 30 minutes
  • mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Odd juxtaposition in my mind, Nigel Planer from the Young Ones alongside Russ Abbot from Mad House, as friends.

I probably would have got more out of it if I'd concentrated on it though.

They feel like they come from two different generations but in fact they only come from different comedy traditions. The Young One is 61, the old one is 66. :eek:

Was only half watching myself, might give a proper go next week.
  • lealeedslealeeds Posts: 2,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Taken in by the preview.It promised to be good but failed miserably.
    Stephanie Beecham unconvincing accent and the usually reliable Alison Steadman seemed to be playing the same part as in Gavin and Stacey.
  • Hyram FyramHyram Fyram Posts: 3,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I doubt any comedy show from 20+ years ago would have survived had this forum been around then. It's lucky these days if a new show manages to only get dismissed a few minutes after it gets on air. Usually it's dismissed about a month before it even arrives.
  • SenseiSamSenseiSam Posts: 3,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    J.R wrote: »
    I thought it was Ok, amusing, interesting. A lot of comedies need a few episodes to take off. Takes a while to get used to the characters. I shall watch it again to see how it goes on.

I agree, I'm going to give it a bit longer to see how the characters develop. It was underwhelming but had a really good cast who were doing their best with the material, it's just the comedy was rather predictable and any jokes were telegraphed ahead. I wasn't familiar with the writer, Richard Pinto, but from a quick Google he's written for Citizen Khan which I can't bear to watch but also Armstrong and Miller who can be very funny. So sitting on the fence for the moment.
  • AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I doubt any comedy show from 20+ years ago would have survived had this forum been around then. It's lucky these days if a new show manages to only get dismissed a few minutes after it gets on air. Usually it's dismissed about a month before it even arrives.

Well said. I really don't know what viewers expect from programmes these days. Everything is terrible. All scripts are terrible. Nothing is funny. Everything is a waste of talent.

Stephanie Beecham: "I hate humanist funerals. They go on forever. Every few minutes someone gets up to read a bloody poem or play the guitar! That's not a funeral, that's Britain's Got Talent!"

I know it's not roll around the floor laughter, but it's observational comedy. It is meant to depict a natural relationship between people who know each other by default. The incident with Paula Wilcox driving around and around was exactly the same as when my sister-in-law did it in Worthing! It is not hilarity in the programme that is needed. It is warmth. And given time, I think it will have that in abundance. Once you get to know the characters you warm to them. I enjoyed it. Yes, it had moments that were unnecessary and silly, but overall it has great potential. Far more than most new sitcoms these days.
  • grauniadgrauniad Posts: 7,954
    Forum Member
    I agree. It was reasonable, and needs to be given a chance. No wall to wall one-liners, but I hate that sort of show anyway. Some good interaction between the young foreign bride and the seemingly smitten chap. Paula Wilcox also had some good dialogue. Worth another go.