Boomers - new comedy coming to BBC One, 15 August

Comments

• IJoinedInMayIJoinedInMay Posts: 26,319
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jsmith99 wrote: »
    I found tonight's much funnier than last week's - not that that was difficult.

That's how I broadly feel about it too ("much" funnier might be a tad strong though).
  • roddydogsroddydogs Posts: 10,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Was the "Joke" about June Whitfield being secondary incontinent seriously supposed to be funny.?
  • grauniadgrauniad Posts: 7,954
    Forum Member
    roddydogs wrote: »
    Was the "Joke" about June Whitfield being secondary incontinent seriously supposed to be funny.?

It wasn't very clever was it? It typified for me how it struggled badly in the latter stages, mainly the male actors dialogue.
  • J.RJ.R Posts: 2,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I enjoyed it but found it more interesting and amusing - more like a play - than a really funny comedy. I am sticking with it as it does have a very good cast - the script is a bit predictable though and I agree about the 'direction' last night. The scene in the restaurant needed tightening up as it was a bit lacking somewhere. There is potential though.
    June Whitfield was very good - as expected, other than her I think Philip Jackson has his character spot on - a sort of mellow Victor Meldrew. Alison Steadman is just doing what she always does, amusing enough but nothing new about her character. The others for me havn't established a recognisable personality/character yet but it's early days.
  • 80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The first episode was alright but last night's was quite dull in parts
  • BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,542
    Forum Member
    keicar wrote: »
    Dire!

Good cast, poor direction and a tediously boring script fit for the bin. Typical PC BBC 'comedy' where the only the elderly character can be the butt of the jokes, just surprised that a minority character hasn't appeared yet.

Who commissioned this rubbish? A criminal waste of acting talent.

Agree 100%

Last weeks was dreadful and this weeks........ dreadful. I really thought June Whitfield would help the comedy along but failed.

Alison Steadman in still in Pam Shipman mode and did not laugh once. How disappointing.
  • Kaz159Kaz159 Posts: 11,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    J.R wrote: »
    I enjoyed it but found it more interesting and amusing - more like a play - than a really funny comedy. I am sticking with it as it does have a very good cast - the script is a bit predictable though and I agree about the 'direction' last night. The scene in the restaurant needed tightening up as it was a bit lacking somewhere. There is potential though.
    June Whitfield was very good - as expected, other than her I think Philip Jackson has his character spot on - a sort of mellow Victor Meldrew. Alison Steadman is just doing what she always does, amusing enough but nothing new about her character. The others for me havn't established a recognisable personality/character yet but it's early days.

Your post kinda sums up how I feel about it. I really want to like it because of the cast but I'm struggling to at the minute. The restaurant scene was clunky imo.

Agree with this bit of your post but I would say that Stephanie Beecham has her character sorted.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kaz159 wrote: »
    but I would say that Stephanie Beecham has her character sorted.

While the rest of the cast just seem to be sleepwalking through the script and the show!!
  • nick202nick202 Posts: 9,919
    Forum Member
    It's such a shame that the show feels so flat, with the excellent cast limited by some rather thin material which doesn't give them much to work with. Good comedy needs two things - a defined central core character or pair of characters, and a grotesque or extreme personality for the audience to latch on to (think Patsy in Ab Fab or Nessa in Gavin and Stacey). Boomers has neither of those things and the result is a rather underwhelming show.
  • petelypetely Posts: 2,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    80sfan wrote: »
    While the rest of the cast just seem to be sleepwalking through the script and the show!!
    Not too surprising, really. I looked this lot up on IMDB and it's surprising how little comedy work most of the cast have done.
    While we have all heard of Russ Abbott and everyone thinks of Paula Wilcox from Man About the House, these are old, old shows. What work most of this cast have done is soaps and cop shows (or other emergency services stuff - all basically the same idea).
    Smith was in Grandma's House (confession: I never watched that - Amstell is a major red-flag, I've only seen him in Buzzcocks and he turned me right off that show) Jackson managed 6 episodes of Pete versus Life (again, never bothered with it). Beacham has performed in Trollied and Mount Pleasant - two desperately bad Sky offerings, of which the less said: the better and Steadman's comedy credentials seem to be based on Gavin and Stacey (again: Yick! - IMHO :) Corden == Amstell :o)

So it's no surprise that this lot can't deliver comedy. They are either stale from lack of practice, have been in bad shows (whether they were the cause of that badness, contributed to it, or only learned how to do crap comedy? I guess we'll never know), or are so used to only doing soap operas or police officers that they've lost the ability and versatility to act any broader roles.

Having said that, apart from the over-used Glennister, there probably aren't that many true, capable, comedy actors who are still working and could convincingly play in a "boomer" generation show.
  • via_487via_487 Posts: 1,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think that Boomers is going to take time to build up a loyal following, but it could do just that. Every comedy drama series has to build slowly because we need to get to know the characters.
    Look at Friends - several main characters who slowly revealed their stories - and that made for better comedy.
    Boomers could do the same and has the actors to do it.

However... whereas Friends was aimed at a younger audience, Boomers appears to be aimed more at those in the same age group or slightly younger/older. Or perhaps at those who like laughing at their parents/relatives/bosses' idiosyncrasies?
    In theory, that should provide a decent sized audience. But only time will tell.

Having said that, I laughed at a couple of the jokes last night. They were of the 'open mouth and disengage brain and embarrass everyone' type, which Brit comedy does well. So for me it looks fairly promising.
  • chestfieldchestfield Posts: 3,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In older days (ish) I thought that The Royle Family looked shite!! A few years on - I saw how funny it could be! I love it now (well, repeats anyway!).

This series could be the same...give it time! :cool::cool:

I know what you mean - it took me about three SERIES to get into OFAH. And as for Doctor Who.... The jury is still out on that one!

grauniad wrote: »
    Herne Bay I think

Yes, that's where it was filmed. I think the outside shot of the pub where they went for lunch may have been one right opposite the local crem., and, not surprisingly, they do a roaring trade in wakes. :D
  • Jean-FrancoisJean-Francois Posts: 2,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wanted to like Boomers, and although the first episode wasn't too good, (IMO), I thought, okay, give it time, it may get better.
    After 15 or 16 minutes of episode two I pulled the plug, deleted the series link on the Sky + box and gave up.
    I think that they tried, and some viewers will stick it out, and possibly enjoy it, but for me it just isn't good enough.
    The cast are fine, and they are doing their professional best, but the writing and story lines are too dry and drab to me.
    I'd like to drum up an interest in what's causing the alleged rift in Paula Wilcox and her husband's relationship, but It's not interesting enough to hang in and find out.
    I thought that the drawn out quest for a suitable table for the anniversary lunch would never end, that's when I gave up.
  • comedy89comedy89 Posts: 1,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    petely wrote: »
    Not too surprising, really. I looked this lot up on IMDB and it's surprising how little comedy work most of the cast have done.
    While we have all heard of Russ Abbott and everyone thinks of Paula Wilcox from Man About the House, these are old, old shows. What work most of this cast have done is soaps and cop shows (or other emergency services stuff - all basically the same idea).
    Smith was in Grandma's House (confession: I never watched that - Amstell is a major red-flag, I've only seen him in Buzzcocks and he turned me right off that show) Jackson managed 6 episodes of Pete versus Life (again, never bothered with it). Beacham has performed in Trollied and Mount Pleasant - two desperately bad Sky offerings, of which the less said: the better and Steadman's comedy credentials seem to be based on Gavin and Stacey (again: Yick! - IMHO :) Corden == Amstell :o)

So it's no surprise that this lot can't deliver comedy. They are either stale from lack of practice, have been in bad shows (whether they were the cause of that badness, contributed to it, or only learned how to do crap comedy? I guess we'll never know), or are so used to only doing soap operas or police officers that they've lost the ability and versatility to act any broader roles.

Having said that, apart from the over-used Glennister, there probably aren't that many true, capable, comedy actors who are still working and could convincingly play in a "boomer" generation show.

Beecham was brilliant in Trollied.
  • ravensboroughravensborough Posts: 5,188
    Forum Member
    I wasn't impressed by Episode 1, but I thought there was a marked improvement in Episode 2. It wasn't laugh out loud hilarious, but I don't think Boomers is that kind of show. However, I did think that the jokes were funnier in Ep 2 and June Whitfield was brilliant.
  • BirthdayGirlBirthdayGirl Posts: 64,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I enjoyed it. Bit better than episode 1.

Will stick with it. I can see a bit of my parents in each of the couples so I do tend to giggle more than most
  • RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wanted to like Boomers, and although the first episode wasn't too good, (IMO), I thought, okay, give it time, it may get better.
    After 15 or 16 minutes of episode two I pulled the plug, deleted the series link on the Sky + box and gave up.
    I think that they tried, and some viewers will stick it out, and possibly enjoy it, but for me it just isn't good enough.
    The cast are fine, and they are doing their professional best, but the writing and story lines are too dry and drab to me.
    I'd like to drum up an interest in what's causing the alleged rift in Paula Wilcox and her husband's relationship, but It's not interesting enough to hang in and find out.
    I thought that the drawn out quest for a suitable table for the anniversary lunch would never end, that's when I gave up.

I think we lasted about as long as you. The first episode was just about saved by Nigel Planer and his Lithuanian bride, they were responsuble for a few faintly amusing moments. But they were presumably just guest characters ?
    I thought the second episode was just dire, a waste of the undoubted talent of the cast.
    We lasted about 20 minutes, but I thought it was almost embarrassing to watch a cast who have all been involved in so much better material than this in the past. I can't imagine any of them would want to be remembered for this.
  • valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stephanie Beecham is still glamorous, but Paula Wilcox hasn't aged as well. I was in love with her in Man about the House.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    valkay wrote: »
    Stephanie Beecham is still glamorous, but Paula Wilcox hasn't aged as well. I was in love with her in Man about the House.

You should check out Paula Wilcox in 'The Smoking Room' where she played the brilliant middle-aged divorcee character Lilian ;-)

Her Cher costume in the Christmas special is hilarious!!

Although all those **** probably contributed to why she looks so old and wrinkly now :D
  • RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

So it's no surprise that this lot can't deliver comedy. They are either stale from lack of practice, have been in bad shows (whether they were the cause of that badness, contributed to it, or only learned how to do crap comedy?
    Firstly you use severely faulty logic in claiming that several shows were bad because you personally never watched them because of your hatred of one member of the cast. Your personal viewing habits are not what define bad shows, some of you shows you mention are high regarded and award winning...a slightly more dependable gauge of quality than who you like or don't like.

However that falls into insignificance when you claim that Alison Steadman's comedy credentials are entirely based on Gavin and Stacey. All that shows is that you are painfully ignorant of the contribution she has made to nearly 40 years of stage, TV and cinema. :o

Seriously, go watch some Mike Leigh. :D
  • Terry WigonTerry Wigon Posts: 6,831
    Forum Member
    Now Last of the Summer Wine has ended there has to be something for actors of a certain generation to act in. In fact I think Russ Abbott and June Whitfield had also appeared in it.
  • chuffnobblerchuffnobbler Posts: 10,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ep2 had a good few chuckles, as did ep1, so Mrs Chuff and I will persevere with this. It's not great, but is better than most new sitcoms and is a harmless way to whole away a half hour. It could be better, but may perk up as it goes along.

One weakness is that I am a bit unclear (without having to think long and hard) about who is married to whom. This suggests a bit of unclearness in the writing, as relationships could be underlined more.

roddydogs wrote: »

Yes. Most uncalled for, I felt.

BellaRosa wrote: »
    Alison Steadman in still in Pam Shipman mode and did not laugh once.

I wonder if this is now her default performance. Whenever I stumble across her on telly nowadays, she always seems to be playing the same character. Typecasting, I suspect: only ever being offered the same role to play. I saw her onstage a couple of weeks ago in a very melodramatic and tragic French play, and she was most definitely not playing Pam Shipman all over again. There's a limit to the variety of roles offered to women in their 60s, and this underlines it. The Boomers idea could really do unusual and unexpected things with our expectation of characters in their 60s, but opts not to. I suspect the writer is younger.

It took a while for Mrs Chuff and me to place James Smith, and IMDB reminded us of Grandma's House. That was a series that grew, and had excellent set of Boomer characters (Linda Bassett and the late, lamented Geoff Hutchings). James Smith was playing rather a similar character, but always elicited sympathy. I can't abide Simon Amstell and find his presentation style smug, patronising and smirky. Bearing in mind he wrote Grandma's House as a vehicle for himself, I am surprised he didn't spend more time trying to endear himself to me ...

Russ Abbot has moved away from comedy work since the late 80s, and has done plenty of dramatic acting since. It's interesting that he has chosen to return to comedy now.

Stephanie Beacham is a real favourite of mine. I thought she was excellent in Trollied, and she's a hoot in the first episode of French & Saunders as a woman who had an affair with Elvis in the 60s. Her comic timing is excellent, and it's nice to see her playing a role that is slightly softer than usual.

Inspector Japp can do no wrong. End of.

80sfan wrote: »
    You should check out Paula Wilcox in 'The Smoking Room' where she played the brilliant middle-aged divorcee character Lilian ;-)

Her Cher costume in the Christmas special is hilarious!!

Although all those **** probably contributed to why she looks so old and wrinkly now :D

The Smoking Room is one of the great overlooked sitcoms of the C21st. A fantastic cast, memorable characters, great one-liners, clever ongoing stories. It's glorious. My favourite moment is Paula Wilcox as Lilian when she arrives at her surprise birthday party. Everyone in the room is wearing a Lilian face-mask, and they all turn towards her as one and all take a step forward like an advancing zombie army. the look of shock, confusion and terror on her face is fantastic.
  • Cestrian18Cestrian18 Posts: 6,857
    Forum Member
    comedy89 wrote: »
    Beecham was brilliant in Trollied.

Agreed, her take off of Hilary Devey was absolutely chuffing brilliant, the show's third series was awful after she left!
  • kayceekaycee Posts: 12,046
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can't say Boomers did much for me, but having said that, I think it may have potential. A bit along the lines of Last of the Summer Wine, perhaps, which started really really badly if what I've seen on Gold is anything to go by, but improved "with age"!
  • grauniadgrauniad Posts: 7,954
    Forum Member
    Doesn't seem to be getting better, this latest offering was dire.