Is sky Broadband any good ?

suffolkbluesuffolkblue Posts: 4,059
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I am currently on post office home phone and BB. Was wondering if sky is any good. I have no issues with P.O but was thinking of changing as i could get it free with sky sports any help appreciated.

Comments

• GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I got transferred from O2 onto Sky when they bought them, which was a good few months ago now, and ive not had any problems with them if that helps. :)
  • suffolkbluesuffolkblue Posts: 4,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks Grouty. Its just I have sky sports and full package I was thinking of getting broadband too as I could get that for free.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've had Sky BB for over a year now as well and haven't had any issues at all. I was talking to them yesterday about agreeing a new 12 month deal and they told me my BB usage last month was apparently 300gb !! *faints* :)

So in that respect, they certainly do live up to the "truly unlimited" claim.

I do watch a lot of Netflix though, to be fair !
  • welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know there was a major outage in my area yesterday maybe this site will help you

http://downdetector.co.uk/problems/sky
  • GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Im thinking of switching to their Fibre, as its only £10 a month for the first 6 months, which will be £24 off what im paying now, then after that, ill only be paying an extra £5.45 a month on top of what im paying now, which isn't to bad, as ill be going from 6mb to around 30/40mb.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've had Sky BB for over a year now as well and haven't had any issues at all. I was talking to them yesterday about agreeing a new 12 month deal and they told me my BB usage last month was apparently 300gb !! *faints* :)

I wouldn't exactly say 300GBs is enough to be convinced that they're truly unlimited. If it was 8-900GBs, that would be a different matter.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    I wouldn't exactly say 300GBs is enough to be convinced that they're truly unlimited. If it was 8-900GBs, that would be a different matter.

Fair point indeed sir.

I'd better start watching lots of long HD quality films just to see :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I must admit im still not sure. Looking at sky help on twitter a lot of people having problems. I might just stick to Post office for now lol. Still undecided.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,170
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We changed to sky from virgin as I wanted sky Atlantic.
    Sorry for being negative, but I will go back to virgin as soon as my year is up :-( when I contacted them about the Internet constantly cutting out I got an email telling me to keep my router away from fish tanks and other advice which wasn't helpful. I still have lots of problems with it now.
    I didn't have any problems with Virgin, shame about sky Atlantic though.
  • LION8TIGERLION8TIGER Posts: 8,484
    Forum Member
    I must admit im still not sure. Looking at sky help on twitter a lot of people having problems. I might just stick to Post office for now lol. Still undecided.

Look at all the other ISP's help on Twitter ..... I think you will find the same results.

I've been with Sky for over 2 years and find them very good.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks LION will have to think hard. Can you tell me do the rental and calls come out every month or quarterly like most bills thanks.
  • LION8TIGERLION8TIGER Posts: 8,484
    Forum Member
    Monthly, you can choose the date.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thankyou that helps a lot cherrs.
  • ClatterClatter Posts: 426
    Forum Member
    Hi,

I've been with Sky for 4-5 years now and probably went through exactly the same angst as yourself. Was previously with BT and had never had any issues with the service so was nervous of making the change.

Happy to report the service has been excellent and the only issue I've had was when lightening struck nearby recently and buggered the router. Phoned Sky and they replaced the router FOC.
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had Sky Broadband Unlimited for a few years before then upgrading to Sky Fibre Unlimited, and then more recently to Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro.

All have been great.

One warning, though: Stay away from Sky Broadband Connect. It is Sky's non-LLU service for people who are not in a Sky Broadband network area (their exchange has not been unbundled and had Sky's equipment installed). It's a re-sold BT Wholesale product, with a usage limit and traffic management, and has a terrible reputation.

Only go with Sky if you can get their LLU (unbundled) service, e.g. Sky Broadband Unlimited or Sky Fibre Unlimited.
  • gothergother Posts: 14,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I tend to hit 700+gb each month Virgin don't throttle me or say anything.
    Back to the ops question Sky were awful when i had them but i put it down to being a dodgy line rather than Sky as i switched to Talktalk had same issues until TT sent someone out to fully sort it out.
    Pity Sky didn't.
  • eyponeypon Posts: 345
    Forum Member
    gother wrote: »
    I tend to hit 700+gb each month Virgin don't throttle me or say anything.
    Back to the ops question Sky were awful when i had them but i put it down to being a dodgy line rather than Sky as i switched to Talktalk had same issues until TT sent someone out to fully sort it out.
    Pity Sky didn't.

Suprised to hear you dont get throttled

http://my.virginmedia.com/traffic-management/traffic-management-policy-30Mb-or-higher.html

virgin are famous for doing it and major congestion also

ofc not every one gets that.
  • Aye UpAye Up Posts: 7,053
    Forum Member
    eypon wrote: »
    Suprised to hear you dont get throttled

http://my.virginmedia.com/traffic-management/traffic-management-policy-30Mb-or-higher.html

virgin are famous for doing it and major congestion also

ofc not every one gets that.

Virgin only throttle upload....however your latter points are certainly true....I have Virgin's top tier broadband service and it struggles to load Youtube videos compared to BT Infinity 2 and that works a treat.....
  • DJFairborne77DJFairborne77 Posts: 236
    Forum Member
    I had TalkTalk's Fibre from August 2012, upto April 2014. I had to constantly keep re-setting the modem/router, as it kept losing connection, I also had their phone-line, which often had terrible interference on the line, such as like a whirring-whoosing sound, or static electricity (like a buzzing!). Of course, I phoned their Technical Support, who were absolutely useless & at one point asked me to get a screwdriver & fiddle about with the wall socket myself, which I wasn't going to do, as I'm no engineer! Lol

The final straw was when they overcharged me for a few months, so when I saw a good deal with Sky Fibre back in April, as I was out of contract with TalkTalk, I decided to switch to Sky, as I also have my TV with them, plus the deal was good, with Fibre Unlimited at £7.50 for 6 months or something like that etc.

4 months on & no problems at all, the service has been great, I've not had to reset the modem/router once, I've not lost connection once in 4 months! The phone-line is perfect quality with no interference, so I'm happy enough! I even got to keep the same landline phone number, so I'd recommend them; I just wish I'd left TalkTalk sooner! :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    I think people only use ISP's Twitter help when there is a problem, so as Lion8tiger said, you'd probably find the same for all providers. It might be of more benefit and insight to you, to have a look through all the ISP's Twitter help feeds and make a mental note of how their reps are responding and what kind of help they're offering.

Any service you have, with which you've never had an issue before, will be more than adequate for the average BB user... However, mistakes can and will, always happen. Therefore, similarly as with personal relationships, it's more important to look into who deals with the *mistakes* in a way that pleases you. Obviously there are providers that offer plain and simple, shoddy service. Most of those have gone out of business now, though! There's nothing like a recession to weed out bad service. (Unfortunately, some of the baby isp's were thrown out with the bath water as well, of course. But that is another topic for another forum.)

Over the last couple of years, via work, home and my mothers house, I have used fibre optic BB provided by three of the main players - Sky, Virgin Media and BT, and honestly they are all pretty similar. Their customer service was, at times, incredibly weak. At other times, however, it went above and beyond!

Saying all of that, if I had to sum up my overall feeling regarding those three ISP's describing one experience... I would say that at one point I was paying for BT's fast as possible fibre optic BB, while also having Sky's lower-speed-yet-free BB running in the background... And I actually ended up using more of Sky's free service than BT's. When BT performed as advertised, it was excellent... But I did find those times to be sporadic and unpredictable, and of course when I needed the speed, I would only get drips of connectivity here and there! However, Sky's free broadband was just fast enough to still be considered *fast internet* and also very consistent. When I was paying for top speed from Sky, I was far less impressed lol.

Good luck with your choice!
  • Gerry1Gerry1 Posts: 4,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was with O2 until they were taken over by Sky. I'd been paying something like £4.50 per month for standalone broadband (i.e. line rental paid to Primus) because I'd had an O2 phone and company account, and the O2 team assured me that if I signed up for a year with O2, that I could then move to Sky and Sky would be obliged to honour it. So I switched before I was forced to do so.

However, when dealing with Sky themselves they were very unhelpful. The refused to honour the deal, saying that O2 no longer provided my service and they weren't obliged to honour the offer. I had to have a mighty battle with them but eventually I forced them to charge what had been agreed. It would also have been very expensive if I'd used their official 0844 rip-off number, but fortunately SayNoTo0870 listed an 0800 number.

So Sky can't really be trusted, it's typically Murdoch.

Not that it bothers me, but my uplink speed halved from about 1.2Mbit/s to 0.6 after I'd switched.

Technical service is good and bad. I had a problem after lightning in my area, and spent quite some time conducting tests with a helpful technician. He concluded that my router had become faulty, and said they'd send a few because it was under guarantee.

Not wishing to be off line for several days, I tried the next morning and found the existing router worked fine; obviously it was glitch at the exchange that had been reset overnight. It's happened once or twice again in stormy weather, so now I just wait an hour or two and it seems to sort itself out. But it's irritating that they couldn't diagnose the fault correctly and that the published helpline isn't an 080 number, unlike O2.

Now that my year is up it's going to be interesting. I don't want to switch my line rental to Sky, and anyway I'm contracted to Primus until April. What's really infuriating is that almost all ISPs insist that you switch your home phone to them as well. This is anti-competitive, prevents straightforward price comparisons and should be outlawed by Ofcom, the useless, toothless regulator.
  • Richard_Noble1Richard_Noble1 Posts: 72
    Forum Member
    Im using IPTV, laptop and tablet works great
  • El GuapoEl Guapo Posts: 4,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am currently on post office home phone and BB. Was wondering if sky is any good. I have no issues with P.O but was thinking of changing as i could get it free with sky sports any help appreciated.

Hi, I have been using the Sky Fibre service for a few years now and not had any problems. Currently paying £10pm for 40Mb and it is great for the on demand service and HD films etc.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you have to pay any line rental upfront and how do you know how much the phone bill will be as its direct debit it must vary each month depending on calls. Do they send an email telling you the date and how much etc. I'm still not sure what to do as I am getting po broadband at good price I'm paying £25.00 per 3 month broadband and £32.50 per 3 month line rental which is quite good. So i'm still a bit unsure lol. Thanks for all your comments everyone.
  • DonforDonfor Posts: 281
    Forum Member
    just finished 1st offer mid 12 moths sky contract

I switched from VM who's b/band was excellent

Sky broadband has been very stable (30-35 mb) which is faster than I need

the broadband was 10 p/m 1st 6 moths now 20 p/m remaining 6 moths line rental is 15 p/m (weekend calls)

(i'm a macbook pro user/iphone5) no probs using sky b/band:)