Why is my cat losing so much fur?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,625
Forum Member
✭✭
It is coming out in an obsene amount!!! Handful after handful. Poor thing should be bold, the way he is going. I just have to touch him, and end up with a handful. He gets of his bed, or brushes agains a piece of furniture, and again, you can see the fur loss.

Is this normal? I can't remember him doing that last year, when he was a tiny kitten.

Comments

• yorkieUKyorkieUK Posts: 2,159
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has it ever occurred to you that you should take your cat to the vet?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yorkieUK wrote: »
    Has it ever occurred to you that you should take your cat to the vet?

I may have only noticed the fur loss in the last 20 mins!
    And thanks for the tip, I would have never thought of that myself.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 406
    Forum Member
    Ignore the stupid comment.

Is your cat long haired, short haired, medium haired.

Due to the time of year all 3 of our cats are losing hair (much to my Dyson's dismay lol) but our long hair cat is losing LOADS! It is everywhere and comes off so easily, just as you described.

It is probably just normal shedding of the winter coat but get it checked out at the vets if you're worried.
  • maximilianmaximilian Posts: 789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This website has a few suggestions :)

http://cats.lovetoknow.com/Feline_Hair_Loss
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well it is that time of year.
  • yorkieUKyorkieUK Posts: 2,159
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Laurajane wrote: »

Due to the time of year all 3 of our cats are losing hair (much to my Dyson's dismay lol) but our long hair cat is losing LOADS! It is everywhere and comes off so easily, just as you described.

It is probably just normal shedding of the winter coat but get it checked out at the vets if you're worried.

Stupid comment? Acute hair loss in a cat can be the sign of a serious ailment. If the OPs cat is losing a lot of hair then it should be examined by a vet.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Laurajane wrote: »

Stupid I can live with. Patronising I can't.

I came home from work, and as soon as I am in the place he comes and does his usual dance around my legs. Thats when I first noticed it. It must be "the time of the year", as you said.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    maximilian wrote: »
    This website has a few suggestions :)

http://cats.lovetoknow.com/Feline_Hair_Loss

Thanks for the great link. :)
  • cosmocosmo Posts: 26,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can you actually see any bald patches? Get a brush and take your cat outside to brush it if you can. My cat is short haired and is shedding loads of hair at the mo. It's floating all over the bloody house in little clumps. It is the time of year though as stated above. The first winter we had her we thought she'd put on a load of weight but it was just the winter coat - which comes off around now.

If it is bald patches then yes take it to the vet.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 139
    Forum Member
    If your cat is losing so much hair then you should take him/her to the vet.

Hair loss can mean something common like allergies etc or something more serious like hormone or protein deficiency. Just take your moggy to the vet. Why waste time here? Lets be honest none of us are experts are we and that certainly includes me.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Has he been licking himself a lot ? Perhaps he's poisoned himself with his venomous saliva :eek:

Sorry... :o
    Long haired cats will seemingly molt an extraordinary amount of hair as the weather changes in the spring.

Short haired cats less so.

Cats do in fact shed all year round.

Only you can decide the following..

Does the cat seem "out of sorts"?
    Is it off it's food?
    Does it have any bald patches?
    Does it lick or scratch at one particular spot?

If the answer is yes to anyone of those questions then you should probably have a word with a vet, if all NO then it'probably reacting to the change in weather.

:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    drjohn wrote: »
    If your cat is losing so much hair then you should take him/her to the vet.

Hair loss can mean something common like allergies etc or something more serious like hormone or protein deficiency. Just take your moggy to the vet. Why waste time here? Lets be honest none of us are experts are we and that certainly includes me.

I regret ever asking the question, tbh.

Why waste time on here about it? Because I arrived home at 17.45 this evening, and noticed it then. And while checking my emails, I tought that I ask on here to see if it is normal. I am a responsible adult, and I do look after my pet, and will take him to the vet, if needed.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Justabloke wrote: »
    Has he been licking himself a lot ? Perhaps he's poisoned himself with his venomous saliva :eek:

Sorry... :o
    Long haired cats will seemingly molt an extraordinary amount of hair as the weather changes in the spring.

Short haired cats less so.

Cats do in fact shed all year round.

Only you can decide the following..

Does the cat seem "out of sorts"?
    Is it off it's food?
    Does it have any bald patches?
    Does it lick or scratch at one particular spot?

If the answer is yes to anyone of those questions then you should probably have a word with a vet, if all NO then it'probably reacting to the change in weather.

:)

Does the cat seem "out of sorts"? No, he is full of the joys of spring

Is it off it's food? Eats like a horse

Does it have any bald patches? No

Does it lick or scratch at one particular spot? No

He is a happy, cheerful cat
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    elke21 wrote: »
    I regret ever asking the question, tbh.

Why waste time on here about it? Because I arrived home at 17.45 this evening, and noticed it then. And while checking my emails, I tought that I ask on here to see if it is normal. I am a responsible adult, and I do look after my pet, and will take him to the vet, if needed.

What? You mean you checked your emails before taking your cat to the vet? You shouldn't have even went home, but instead should have gone straight to your nearest RSPCA clinic and brought the entire clinical staff to your house by gun point.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cosmo wrote: »
    What? You mean you checked your emails before taking your cat to the vet? You shouldn't have even went home, but instead should have gone straight to your nearest RSPCA clinic and brought the entire clinical staff to your house by gun point.

I'm personally surprised that the OP isn't monitoring her cat at work via webcam.......
  • michelle666michelle666 Posts: 2,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My cat always starts losing fur around this time of year, it's amazing for a short haired cat, just how much comes off of him! It keeps me and the hoover busy anyway.

It's just their way of preparing for the summer, although strangely, I notice him and the dog cast a lot just as winter starts too :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm personally surprised that the OP isn't monitoring her cat at work via webcam.......

Lol....don't put ideas into my head! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The lens would get clogged up with all the hair.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The lens would get clogged up with all the hair.

Not if you rushed home IMMEDIATELY!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Since the weather got hotter, our cat has moulted like crazy
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    I presume it is just a moult. My cat has moulted a fair bit like all cats do.
  • BigfeetBigfeet Posts: 14,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Both of my lovely mogs are moulting lots at the moment - it's probably just the time of year and recent spell of warm weather causing it OP :) .
  • My name is AdamMy name is Adam Posts: 193
    Forum Member

All because the cat is loosing its hair?

Its hardly going to be some sort of time critical life threatening condition.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All because the cat is loosing its hair?

Its hardly going to be some sort of time critical life threatening condition.

You never know though. It might be some sort of tropical disease picked up from a cat which has found it's way here from Bolivia in a bunch of bananas or something.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You never know though. It might be some sort of tropical disease picked up from a cat which has found it's way here from Bolivia in a bunch of bananas or something.

ha! :D:D