Options

Some Cat Advice

funkycubfunkycub Posts: 9,350
Forum Member
We have two Cats coming up to two years. Ella can be a bit aloof but likes attention when she wants it. From the moment we got Ella she has ALWAYS been vocal. If you look at her she mioaws, if she wants something she mioaws and whether happy or sad she mioaws.

It has always been endearing and part of her character but the last few weeks things have changed.

Ella seems to demand attention by wailing and crying, she walks from room to room crying and will sit looking at you wailing. I think it is that she wants attention but she is becoming a cat that wants to be played with 24 hours a day and with the best will in the world that is not possible.

She talk to her and stoke her but she will just walk around crying. She has been neutered so I know she is not in heat.

She is healthy and when we play she purrs and enjoys it but she is becoming so demanding and it is getting the point where it is becoming upsetting. We don't know what to do - she is so loved but she never seems to content.

Effie likes to be involved in everything too but doesn;t make the noise Ella does. I can hear her upsatirs following my partner as he walks around the house wailing and miaowing and there seems like nothing we can do.

It's werid but it seems to stem from her findign a barbie doll belt and almost adopting it as her young. She carries it around the house, we throw it and she fetches but loses it. Since having this toy she never seems to be happy. it could be unrelated but it is getting to the point where we just don't know how to please her.

Comments

• Options
    LippincoteLippincote Posts: 7,132
    Forum Member
    It sounds like an ideal case for a cat behaviourist. Your vet will be able to refer you. The behaviourist will visit your home and observe the cats for an hour or so to assess what is going on and recommend how to fix it.

Would be worth visiting your vet in the first place anyway to describe the problem so he can check her over - he may have some suggestions of his own too.
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    She sounds normal to me. My cat had a pet raisin as a kitten and this raisin went everywhere until it went funny and I chucked it out.

She talks a lot and has different ways of communicating. It is not just miaowing. There are purrs,churrs and other noises she makes. She says "please" and "thank you" in cat language and is also chatty with her tail.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has she been to the vet? If you are going to get referred like Lippincote suggests, I would also say a quick check over by the vet wouldn't be a bad idea, just to make sure the crying isn't pain related.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Another question - are the cats allowed outside or are they indoor-only?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My cat Misty is a year old male and he never seems to shut up, he even meows through the night and wanders up and down the hall meowing, he meows when he needs fed, meows when he needs to go to his tray, he only stops when he is asleep, I just thought that was normal for some cats.
  • Options
    lettucelettuce Posts: 409
    Forum Member
    My cat Misty is a year old male and he never seems to shut up, he even meows through the night and wanders up and down the hall meowing, he meows when he needs fed, meows when he needs to go to his tray, he only stops when he is asleep, I just thought that was normal for some cats.

my cat murphy (10) is the same always has been.
    wierdly his brother was completely silent
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,196
    Forum Member
    What kind of cat is Ella? If she is an oriental like a Siamese or even a Burmese or Balinese then she will always be vocal and demanding - these cats just ARE that way...:confused:

They are very intelligent cats and require much more stimulation than your average moggy so maybe the only course of action is to play with her more.

Although its always worth consulting your vet and making sure that she is 100% healthy and doesnt have an over-active thyroid which can make them hyper, and nothing sinister is causing the demanding behaviour. If nothing else, the vet can advise on how to keep her occupied as well. (Also you mentioned that she purrs when she plays - although I am sure she is playing, some cats also purr when stressed so I'd get her checked.)

Good luck!
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In my experience cats meow more when they're hungry, or something is wrong with their diet. It may be this aspect that you also need to examine, in addition to the other excellent advice above.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,273
    Forum Member
    Sorry if this has been asked already or if it is just too obvious to have even been asked, but has she been spayed?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I wondered if Ella was oriental but I assumed the OP would hve mentioned it if she was. I have had four oriental cats and yes they are vocal, some more than others, but none of mine has followed me round the entire day bleating. It is absolutely right they require more stimulation than normal moggies though, they are very demanding.

That is why I asked if the cats went outside - I suspect if I confined mine indoors they would drive me mental asking for attention constantly. It does sound as if the OP's cat is bored. Definitely worth asking the vet to check her over though.

(the OP did say she is neutered).
  • Options
    funkycubfunkycub Posts: 9,350
    Forum Member
    Hi - well she is well and basically it seemed to be a cry for attention. She did it for a few more nights and then we started to ignore her and she settles down.

She isn't oriental but she is an intelligent cat. You can see it in her eyes and the way she does things. Her sister just runs around without thinking but with Ella there is a thought process.

She does want attention, she has the option to go out but is not interested and wants to be involved in everything. I now give her some playtime everynight. I lay on the floor and she sits on the exercise bike and we "box" one another. She loves it and this seems to have calmed things down. She has a mean right hook. Now we have this time, just me and her, she has settled down. The problem is our girls are spoilt - we know that! :rolleyes:

If she does cry we ignore her and she stops but if it is convenient I will wait a bit and we go to "box" . We do the games in our spare room and you can tell that if we get up she hopes we are going to that room.

She seems a much happier girl!
  • Options
    TigerpawsTigerpaws Posts: 11,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have 2 orientals who each have their nightly howling fest for no apparent reason - doesn't last long and I just think its either they want attention from me or from the other one particularly if one of them is asleep. As soon as the other one wakes up a game of chasing up and down the stairs ensues. :D