Good Morning Britain - ITV

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 186
    Forum Member
    zak_g wrote: »
    I like GMB, but at this point in time what are they offering, news or fluff? E.g. yesterday, they had a serious news item as their top story and what did they do, had a conversation about Robbie Williams' wife having a baby at the top of the show :( How was this even news :confused: The other thing that ITV clearly can't see is that the changes to the show since April have, content wise, practically turned the show back into Daybreak, now whilst i liked Daybreak, ITV felt the need for a new show because DB didn't work, so why make GMB similar?

Perhaps what they need to do is model it more on their regional news ouput. I'm not sure about other regions but here in the North West, ITV Granada Reports has the right mix of news, lifestyle, showbiz and sport and maintains a serious yet friendly approach. Model it on that type of format and they'll be able to include the content they currently do but in a much more structured and logical way. It's just a bit allover the place at the minute and they aren't letting any kind of format bed in and are constantly tweaking.

I'll also never be able to take it seriously as a news show whilst Ben Shepherd is the main presenter. It may have worked when he was on GMTV but it certainly doesn't now. If their core audience is housewives, would it really be that bad to keep the women at the forefront, for example Ranvir and Charlotte presenting the entire show? It would definitely provide something slightly different that way.
  • stv viewerstv viewer Posts: 17,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Today's hosts are Ranvir, Charlotte and Ben.

Ranvir is in Seans seat and did the sports while Charlotte and Ben were in there usual seats at the desk
  • simon_geraldsimon_gerald Posts: 825
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good article in Broadcast,title good morning Britain fails to match daybreak,don't know how to print the link.
  • zak_gzak_g Posts: 427
    Forum Member
    BCO1 wrote: »
    Perhaps what they need to do is model it more on their regional news ouput. I'm not sure about other regions but here in the North West, ITV Granada Reports has the right mix of news, lifestyle, showbiz and sport and maintains a serious yet friendly approach. Model it on that type of format and they'll be able to include the content they currently do but in a much more structured and logical way. It's just a bit allover the place at the minute and they aren't letting any kind of format bed in and are constantly tweaking.

I'll also never be able to take it seriously as a news show whilst Ben Shepherd is the main presenter. It may have worked when he was on GMTV but it certainly doesn't now. If their core audience is housewives, would it really be that bad to keep the women at the forefront, for example Ranvir and Charlotte presenting the entire show? It would definitely provide something slightly different that way.

Firstly, thank you for sharing what regional news is like in the north west as I wouldn't know because I live in the east of england. Secondly, our regional news is also friendly but serious and that's what I like about ITV News. Finally, I agree with all you have said about GMB and yes maybe Ben isn't the right person, someone like Matt Barbet who, in my opinion, worked really well on Daybreak and as news presenter, he could've been much more suited to Ben's role.
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good article in Broadcast,title good morning Britain fails to match daybreak,don't know how to print the link.

Here's part of the article:

ITV’s breakfast ratings have tumbled 13% year-on-year as Good Morning Britain struggles to establish itself for the commercial broadcaster.

GMB is now six months old, having launched on 28 April to replace Daybreak, which was axed after failing to attract enough viewers.

The Susanna Reid-fronted programme averaged an overnight audience of 541,000 (14.9% share) between 28 April and 24 October. This was 13% down on Daybreak’s 622,000 (16.3%) over the same period last year and even further behind the 674,000 Daybreak achieved in that period in 2012.

Despite heavy criticism during its first few months on air, Daybreak’s early performance was superior to GMB’s.

The Adrian Chiles and Christine Bleakley-presented brand pulled in an average audience of 733,000 (18.2%) from 6 September 2010 to 3 March 2011. This was 26% higher than its successor achieved in its first six months.

A source close to GMB said “no one has a clue how to bolster ratings” for the show, adding that ITV’s commercial teams “are pulling their hair out” as they bid to sell advertising around the format.
    http://www.broadcastnow.co.uk/broadcasters/good-morning-britain-fails-to-match-daybreak/5079208.article?referrer=RSS

That last sentence is rather telling.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanx mossy2103.

Surprised ITV are proud of slight increases as proud is not a word I would have used.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Still using we want to build our audience,we are in it for the long haul,sounds like a get out of jail free card,if show got axed that would be the line used,ITV did not give us time.

IMO you don't spend a fortune on big named presenters to grow an audience overtime you do it for instant impact.
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andy23 wrote: »
    No, one with a grown up daughter is off because she has worked there 30 years and has a good contract with lots of holidays, which she takes at half term because audiences are lower and that is when the big name presenters tend to take time off. (you'll note Naga is on breakfast in the A team slot this week)

In any case nothing to do with Ranvir, as Lorraine doesn't present GMB. I imagine she accepted both roles as she is freelance and all the work tends to come at once or not at all.

Louise was on with Charlie this morning
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Even the guardian are having a go,their headline is.

Is it thankyou and goodnight for good morning Britain.
  • cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,483
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Even the guardian are having a go,their headline is.

Is it thankyou and goodnight for good morning Britain.

I had to check that Mark Lawson wrote this article and not somebody on this thread!

http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/tvandradioblog/2014/oct/30/good-morning-britain-itv
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Agreed,thought I was reading DS,time I'd finished reading it.
  • kelvokelvo Posts: 3,433
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cylon6 wrote: »
    I had to check that Mark Lawson wrote this article and not somebody on this thread!

http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/tvandradioblog/2014/oct/30/good-morning-britain-itv

Love how they describe John Stapleton as a cereal (sic) TV veteran - now that is either a very clever pun on the fact he presents Breakfast TV or an example of poor editing and no-one proof reading an article... :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A pretty damning article really.

Surely things will have to change one way or another.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know why ITV don't just give up on breakfast. Its clear they lost to the BBC and it doesn't seem like they will recover.

Ask Ofcom to release them from the ties of the ITV breakfast contract and let them do something different. If people want the news they can go to the BBC or Sky.

I bet repeats of Corrie and Emmerdale would do better in that slot :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Between 1958 and 1961 the NBC Today programme used to be taped the previous afternoon so ''visually lying'' is nothing new in the world of breakfast TV.
    Forum Member
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    A pretty damning article really.

Surely things will have to change one way or another.

It's a difficult one because a format and presenters will never bed in if they're continuously making changes, but they aren't getting the viewers with what they've currently got, so need to make the changes. Then if they do make changes, it will ultimately change back once they realise it isn't working.

I do expect in the new year, Ben & Susanna will present from a sofa with Charlotte/Ranvir at a desk, but they won't address the format.

What they need to do is decide what the aim of the programme is. If its news, then reformat it to be a bit more serious but still friendly, as I mentioned a few posts back the regional news model is a good starting point. If they want it to be lifestyle/showbiz with news updates, then look towards This Morning. At the moment it's all middle of the road and they can include the same content but it needs to be done differently. Even if the ratings don't improve, if they can produce a respectable programme that what viewers they do have enjoy, and doesn't have such negative connotations, then they've somewhat won the battle. The rest of ITV daytime lags behind BBC daytime at a similar ratio (as well as ITV News itself vs BBC News) but they are never in crisis because viewers enjoy those shows.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BCO1 wrote: »
    It's a difficult one because a format and presenters will never bed in if they're continuously making changes, but they aren't getting the viewers with what they've currently got, so need to make the changes. Then if they do make changes, it will ultimately change back once they realise it isn't working..

Well, it's apparent that the current format is not working. Indeed, going by that Guardian article, the content seems to have regressed to a pre-GMB style. Six months is probably long enough for both format and presenters to bed in anyway.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kelvo wrote: »
    Love how they describe John Stapleton as a cereal (sic) TV veteran - now that is either a very clever pun on the fact he presents Breakfast TV or an example of poor editing and no-one proof reading an article... :D

John pops up quite often on LBC Radio in London as a stand-in presenter so he is obviously keeping his options open.......
    Forum Member
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    Well, it's apparent that the current format is not working. Indeed, going by that Guardian article, the content seems to have regressed to a pre-GMB style. Six months is probably long enough for both format and presenters to bed in anyway.

The format hasn't remained in tact since it launched. It has slowly reverted back to Daybreak over the 6 months through continuous tweaks. It's much different now to how it was when it first started, because they haven't allowed a set format to bed in. I disagree about the presenters bedding in too, they don't show much confidence in the presenters either and it's all coming across very inconsistent. One day there's four, the next there are three (this also affects the aforementioned format). The four 'main' presenters are rarely on together. Ranvir is usually on over the main presenters, Kate Garraway occasionally turns up. Stand ins always get 'priority' over main ones ie Sean is very much a spare part, whilst John leads the show, Kate and Ranvir do news/interviews etc. It's the stand ins that were on the various previous versions of ITV breakfast shows, and they're constantly reverting to past formats and presenter combinations, so it really does display a complete lack of confidence in them. Whilst they've got most of the GMTV staff still there, they'll never be able to fully move on. In all it's just a bit of a mess presentation wise.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ITV probably now has its head in the sand ignoring there's a problem and will carry on as normal.
  • Bob_KnoobbBob_Knoobb Posts: 907
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its a shame really for the presenters (who must be under huge pressure) as individually they are all quite good and even Sean is OK when he is doing just his sports stuff. I wonder how much input & influence the presenters have at editorial content meetings? If the axe does fall sometime next year I am sure they will all get other gigs (perhaps on less pay?). There were rumours that when SR jumped ship she negotiated an opportunity to front some other ITV shows in the future, I wonder if that will ever happen now? Perhaps the time for the presenters to start worrying will be the day they come to work and their life size images have been removed from all the walls and lifts ;-)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bob_Knoobb wrote: »
    Its a shame really for the presenters (who must be under huge pressure) as individually they are all quite good and even Sean is OK when he is doing just his sports stuff. I wonder how much input & influence the presenters have at editorial content meetings? If the axe does fall sometime next year I am sure they will all get other gigs (perhaps on less pay?). There were rumours that when SR jumped ship she negotiated an opportunity to front some other ITV shows in the future, I wonder if that will ever happen now? Perhaps the time for the presenters to start worrying will be the day they come to work and their life size images have been removed from all the walls and lifts ;-)

Can't see SR doing much when GMB has been axed, she just not that good, she be given a few gigs till her contract is up, then I recon she be sacked, and we not see much more of her.
  • best boybest boy Posts: 836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    Between 1958 and 1961 the NBC Today programme used to be taped the previous afternoon so ''visually lying'' is nothing new in the world of breakfast TV.

A bit like Jeremy Kyle saying 'brand new shows coming up on Monday' when they never are? :D
  • JT2060JT2060 Posts: 5,370
    Forum Member
    ftv wrote: »
    John pops up quite often on LBC Radio in London as a stand-in presenter so he is obviously keeping his options open.......

And is incredibly bland on there too. Known to LBC fans as 'John Staplediet'.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ranvir standing in for Charlotte next week.