F1 Coverage - The Verdict: 2012 Season (part 3)

Comments

• D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alexj2002 wrote: »
    I'd suspect the weather accounted for quite a few. Be interesting to compare shares for the two years.

3.13m (33.78%) share for BBC1's coverage. Sky's 575k would therefore be about a 6.2% share. 33.8% + 6.2% = 40.0% share.
  • alexj2002alexj2002 Posts: 3,930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    3.13m (33.78%) share for BBC1's coverage. Sky's 575k would therefore be about a 6.2% share. 33.8% + 6.2% = 40.0% share.

And looking back through the thread, 2011: Race - 5.06m (40.9%). So roughly the same proportion of people watching the TV were watching the F1 this year as last.
  • F1 MikeF1 Mike Posts: 5,835
    Forum Member
    I think it will be more interesting to keep an eye on combined % through the season
  • mlt11mlt11 Posts: 21,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is the first time we've had an exact comparison of a Sky rating for a shared race to a Sky rating for an exclusive race in an identical timeslot (as no Sky figure reported for Spain):

Bahrain (exclusive) - 819k
    Monaco (shared) - 565k

So a retention rate of 69%. I would have thought Sky would be delighted with that - given BBC's EPG advantage I think they would be happy with any retention rate well above 50% and 69% is substantially above that threshold.

It also shows that the decision not to go for Ben Edwards was not a significant mistake. Sky viewers are likely to be more hardcore fans and the suggestion was that many hardcore fans would prefer Ben and therefore switch to BBC for shared races. A 69% retention rate suggests that Ben is not a factor.

I guess you could say that Monaco is a special race so comparison with Bahrain is not like for like in that respect. But BBC Monaco figures don't look especially high so maybe the Monaco factor is not that significant.
  • _SpeedRacer__SpeedRacer_ Posts: 6,721
    Forum Member
    I'm not sure comparing Bahrain and Monaco is a great example...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure comparing Bahrain and Monaco is a great example...

How much higher are BBC's Monaco figures than a typical 1pm race?

I thought comments on here suggested they weren't substantially higher.

Obviously if they are in fact substantially higher then that needs to be taken into account.

But unless the Monaco factor is very substantial the Sky retention rate is still going to be well over 50%.

Monaco factor would have to be 38% - ie 38% uplift on typical 1pm race - to get Sky retention rate down to 50%.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    While true - the split between BBC and Sky for Monaco was 85% to 15% - the highest yet, for China and Spain it was about 82% to 18%.

And actually, BBC's Monaco figures are lower as are the overall figures, but I think we can put that down to the weather.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    While true - the split between BBC and Sky for Monaco was 85% to 15% - the highest yet, for China and Spain it was about 82% to 18%.

And actually, BBC's Monaco figures are lower as are the overall figures, but I think we can put that down to the weather.

OK, thanks. Obviously figures can be looked at in different ways - maybe the above suggests that Sky's Bahrain figure is lower than it "should" be.

Which on second thoughts may well be the case given the clash with the big Man Utd Premier League game.

So a "typical" Sky exclusive 1pm should be higher than 819k - in turn implying a lower retention rate at Monaco.
  • InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I suspect your figures will be skewed with Monaco as it's one of the jewel in the crown events which probably attracts more casual viewers than a normal race. Same applies to Silverstone. I think you'd better picking like for like, ie, two middle eastern races or perhaps Spain and Germany for example.
  • _SpeedRacer__SpeedRacer_ Posts: 6,721
    Forum Member
    Does anyone know if RAI will be showing highlights or full races delayed?

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2012/06/07/motorracing-tv-italy-idUKL5E8H75VX20120607
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,508
    Forum Member
    I suspect your figures will be skewed with Monaco as it's one of the jewel in the crown events which probably attracts more casual viewers than a normal race. Same applies to Silverstone
    I suspect it does not matter which race you choose there will always be some unique factor or other to "skew" the figures.
  • tomhourigantomhourigan Posts: 776
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mlt11 wrote: »
    This is the first time we've had an exact comparison of a Sky rating for a shared race to a Sky rating for an exclusive race in an identical timeslot (as no Sky figure reported for Spain):

Bahrain (exclusive) - 819k
    Monaco (shared) - 565k

So a retention rate of 69%. I would have thought Sky would be delighted with that - given BBC's EPG advantage I think they would be happy with any retention rate well above 50% and 69% is substantially above that threshold.
    Isn't it more simple than all the points put forward - people have paid specifically for the service, therefore the vast majority continue to watch F1 on that service - regardless of their feelings on the on-air team - to feel like they're getting their money's worth?

If I'd have stumped up for Sky, I'd be watching every race on there to make it a worthwhile investment.
    Forum Member
    I'm choosing sky because for the coverage of the race itself I can't do without Ted's input. I think sky have the stronger package for that whilst the BBC have better bits outside of the main action
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Drivers PC on Sky Sports F1 in 10 minutes. :)
    Forum Member
    actually some quite interesting questions/answers today :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was I the only one that got what looked like a static pitlane shot halfway through and then fast-forward tape until it got to the right place?

Also, had to laugh at the caption and voiceover at the end about bad language.
    Forum Member
    figured it was rewind so we didn't miss the bit that we would have done for those 15 secs or so. quick thinking by someone I thought!

I think the language caption at the end is standard. been used for the last few even though I didn't hear any language in those.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    F1 Mike wrote: »
    figured it was rewind so we didn't miss the bit that we would have done for those 15 secs or so. quick thinking by someone I thought!

I think the language caption at the end is standard. been used for the last few even though I didn't hear any language in those.

yes ive noticed it on the all the drivers and the team principal ones, but it was relevant for frank willimas comments in the last one, for his off the mark comments. But still odd, I think its the F1 feed, not sky adding this.
  • JonpollakJonpollak Posts: 2,552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    F1 Mike wrote: »
    Jp is ok. I don't mind our Jp.

oh, and Beyoncé

Well, Thank you...:D

I WAS going to address the hayter but...he ain't worth my vitriol.

More importantly..
    I am in Chicago preparing for my next tour and desperately want to hear the musings of a certain Mr. Jacques Villeneuve on SSF1 this weekend.

Might someone be so kind as to record either audio and or video of his commentary spots this weekend and PM me the link to it?

Pretty please?

Thank you all very much.

oh, and God Bless Amerika
    Jp
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    So there is no GP2 this weekend?
    Well I cant see sky broadcasting it, and cant see it listed for Canada on the web anywhere, shame I was really enjoying it on a F1 weekend.

Would be good to give the sky GP2 commentator a go at some F1, he sure would liven it up.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lettice wrote: »
    Well I cant see sky broadcasting it, and cant see it listed for Canada on the web anywhere, shame I was really enjoying it on a F1 weekend.

Would be good to give the sky GP2 commentator a go at some F1, he sure would liven it up.
    No GP2 or GP3 in Canada.

The commentator for that is Will Buxton, works with Speed TV in America for the F1. :)
  • AdderAdder Posts: 1,981
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone know if Inside F1 will be on at different times this weekend and if so what times? I am conscious that 6.45pm is pretty much during FP2 and qualifying.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Adder wrote: »
    Does anyone know if Inside F1 will be on at different times this weekend and if so what times? I am conscious that 6.45pm is pretty much during FP2 and qualifying.

With Lee presenting the main show, I suspect they won't bother with it this weekend.
    Forum Member
    but it was relevant for frank willimas comments in the last one, for his off the mark comments

what did he say?? I watched it and didn't notice anything out of the ordinary :confused:

Jp, when you are on your travels, do you use any paid for proxy services to enable you to watch our coverage when you're not in the UK?
    If so I'm interested in details as I'm going travels soon and would like to continue with my usual coverage.

there are many proxy paywalls but I'm not sure which to trust.
    any info from anyone to private mail would be appreciated
  • PeacockAntonyPeacockAntony Posts: 626
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Just to be clear the commentary is on the GP2 world commentary, which is not done by Sky Sports.

There is no GP2 race this weekend, which is the reason for the absence of it on the channel. The next race is Valencia, 22-24 June.
This discussion has been closed.