The One Show

Comments

• Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone watching? Feel sorry for Barry Gibb being interviewed by these two muppets!

I have to agree. Never have a couple of presenters been so un-deserving of such a great calibre of guests, such as the mighty Barry Gibb tonight. Matt is a nice guy, no doubt, but his schoolboy awe is always evident, such as tonight. As for his co-host, the less said the better. Kermit has a higher IQ.

Is this a question of the best the BBC can get? No way. It's a question of the best the BBC can afford, or more likely are prepared to pay for hosts. With such a good guest list, the show demands a seriously good high calibre pair of hosts.
  • PunksNotDeadPunksNotDead Posts: 21,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    I have to agree. Never have a couple of presenters been so un-deserving of such a great calibre of guests, such as the mighty Barry Gibb tonight. Matt is a nice guy, no doubt, but his schoolboy awe is always evident, such as tonight. As for his co-host, the less said the better. Kermit has a higher IQ.

Is this a question of the best the BBC can get? No way. It's a question of the best the BBC can afford, or more likely are prepared to pay for hosts. With such a good guest list, the show demands a seriously good high calibre pair of hosts.

I can't believe they asked Barry is he trying to replicate the sound of The BeeGees with his new group, thats just not possible now is it:rolleyes:
  • Coma_WhiteComa_White Posts: 167
    Forum Member
    I can't believe they asked Barry is he trying to replicate the sound of The BeeGees with his new group, thats just not possible now is it:rolleyes:

I thought asking Barry Gibb about the importance of stairs was quite unbelievable, too.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,832
    Forum Member
    Coma_White wrote: »
    ^Yes!!! 'Stairs are very important, aren't they, Barry' - how insightful!

Not as bad as when they had Mo Farah on yesterday. "Why don't the other runners just run past you?"

Erm...
  • tobitobi Posts: 2,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The One Show needs a Summer break. I think even the presenters look tired and bored at this stage. They are probably dying to get out and enjoy the bright evenings
  • Rowan HedgeRowan Hedge Posts: 3,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A.D.P wrote: »
    You are rather rude!!!! :(

It's true though, uneducated ignorant muppets are Baker and Jones and it was a travesty to have a high calibre guest subjected to the inane ramblings of morons. Their combined IQ's add up to minus 50. :D

Makes me yearn for Bleakley and Chiles.
  • Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

As he actually had to explain, it is impossible to replicate the vocals that his brother Robin sang on some of their hits, and he does not even attempt to.

Also, when at the house in Manchester there appeared to be a few mis-understandings. Barry mentioned the "coal" cellar but the girls thought he said "cold" cellar. I thought they were meant to go along the corridor rather than upstairs? Well that was the impression.

I wince when such fantastic guests are treated to such amateurish shenanigans, especially on the BBC. I find it remarkable that the One Show seems to be able to get such good names, more so than the major chat shows like Ross and Norton.

But the presentation is cringeworthy, and the research looks cheap and superficial. A lot of the time the conversation appears to fly right over the head of the female co-presenter. Both promoted way above their capabilities.
  • mikwmikw Posts: 48,715
    Forum Member
    tobi wrote: »
    The One Show needs a Summer break. I think even the presenters look tired and bored at this stage. They are probably dying to get out and enjoy the bright evenings

It usually gets one, there was a series of "specials" last summer that didn't use the usual format.
  • InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Chris Evans big f**k up.. although it's probably a researchers fault.

They've had Gary Lineker on and Chris Evans announced that Match of the Day has a fancy new studio, showed a photo.. and Gary had to quietly inform him that's the BT studio. The MOTD one hasn't changed. Chris's face was classic.
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chris Evans big f**k up.. although it's probably a researchers fault.

They've had Gary Lineker on and Chris Evans announced that Match of the Day has a fancy new studio, showed a photo.. and Gary had to quietly inform him that's the BT studio. The MOTD one hasn't changed. Chris's face was classic.

I thought it was obvious that it was a joke.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I would agree. The telling point is that Alex Jones wasn't in a total fluster after it because she knew it was going to happen.

Contrast that with what happened next when she was tricked into asking a stupid question.
    Forum Member
    I can't believe that Alex Jones has just welcomed Hugh Laurie back to the UK as he's been away making House :D

I think he's even been a guest on the show since he left House.
  • MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another one of Alex's gaffe's! The Jeremy Irons one is and still remains a classic! :D

But god, that's dreadful research!
  • ilovewallanderilovewallander Posts: 41,962
    Forum Member
    MrSuper wrote: »
    Another one of Alex's gaffe's! The Jeremy Irons one is and still remains a classic! :D

But god, that's dreadful research!

What gaffe did she make with Jeremy Irons?
  • mrblankmrblank Posts: 5,687
    Forum Member
    she didnt know that jeremy irons wife sinead cusack was a well known actress in her own right
  • ilovewallanderilovewallander Posts: 41,962
    Forum Member
    mrblank wrote: »
    she didnt know that jeremy irons wife sinead cusack was a well known actress in her own right

Oh dear, that's bad :o Does anyone do any research? :D
  • IJoinedInMayIJoinedInMay Posts: 26,319
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The "Mums at work" piece on tonight's show is awful!
  • pauljoansspauljoanss Posts: 1,408
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am sitting here watching The One Show ( because nothng else on around this time and my wife likes to watch it while doing a crossword) and thought it was finishing then realised it had another 15 mins to go, yawn.
    The question came to mind, WHY WHY do they have a 1 hour show on Wednesday. It is on 5 days a week, is that not enough for any program, WHAT WHAT is the reason that it is felt one day should it be twice as long as any other. The one hour program format is exactly the same as the 4 others but just longer.
    Please BBC let us know why.
    Forum Member
    It's cheap filler isn't it?

On Mondays they have a regional programme. Other nights it's soaps. Friday they currently have a light entertainment show.

I reckon if it was only 30 mins then they'd want another regional programme in there but if they haven't got one to use then it will be one of those consumer programmes with that Dom bloke and they have them on throughout the day these days as cheap filler.
  • BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,544
    Forum Member
    pauljoanss wrote: »
    I am sitting here watching The One Show ( because nothng else on around this time and my wife likes to watch it while doing a crossword) and thought it was finishing then realised it had another 15 mins to go, yawn.
    The question came to mind, WHY WHY do they have a 1 hour show on Wednesday. It is on 5 days a week, is that not enough for any program, WHAT WHAT is the reason that it is felt one day should it be twice as long as any other. The one hour program format is exactly the same as the 4 others but just longer.
    Please BBC let us know why.

You should be watching BBC 4 and Timmy Spall on his tug boat. All the series have been fascinating :)
    Forum Member
    That's a repeat though. It was a nice little series.
  • pauljoansspauljoanss Posts: 1,408
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BellaRosa wrote: »
    You should be watching BBC 4 and Timmy Spall on his tug boat. All the series have been fascinating :)

Yes great program, but saw it first time around, would watch Ch4 news but wife not keen on too much news.
  • yeahbuddyyeahbuddy Posts: 703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can anyone tell me who the bad was tonight.
    Just had a phone call from my grandparents who liked them but don't remeber the name of the band, any help?
    Forum Member
    yeahbuddy wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me who the bad was tonight.
    Just had a phone call from my grandparents who liked them but don't remeber the name of the band, any help?
    Band?

The Proclaimers
  • BelfastGuy125BelfastGuy125 Posts: 7,515
    Forum Member
    Has anyone found Matt Baker becoming ever more annoying? He shouts "YehhhhhhhhhhHHHHHHH" whenever any guest is introduced "Fantasttticcccccccccc". Nice guy, but far too nice. Its actually grating.