Options

Android phone recommendations - Smooth like IOS

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5
Forum Member
Hi Guys

I've currently got a iPhone 5S but am after a bigger screen, I tried a galaxy note 3 which seemed to tick all the boxes however coming from IOS the scrolling for example on web pages or switching between pages is choppy and not as smooth as my current device.

I've done some research and it looks like the best devices for "smoothness" are the Nexus 5 and the HTC one (I realize a newer version of the the HTC has just been released).

Has anyone got any other suggestions at other devices I should be looking at? ideally I did want a "phablet" type device however the Note 3 was rated the best and i'm guessing the others would have similar issues.

Suggestions would be great as very new to Android :)

Comments

• Options
    enapaceenapace Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Xperia devices are pretty smooth as well Z Ultra might be the device for you.
  • Options
    Mark in EssexMark in Essex Posts: 3,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I found my S3 to be a lot smoother after getting rid of Touchwiz (Samsungs own launcher) for Nova Launcher.

I guess that could be the same problem with the Note 3?

I would wait for the HTC One M8 replacement for the current HTC One (there is a thread on it on this forum). I'm tempted, but going to compare it to the Galaxy S5 when they are both out in just over a couple of weeks.
  • Options
    iangradiangrad Posts: 813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have had android phones since the first came out and currently have a LG G2 -- fantastic bit of kit . Pin sharp screen that has no lag that I can see , virtually no bloatware with a very long batter life .
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quite obviously it would have to be the upcoming Nexus Jingle.
    It does little new yet sings a good tune.
    :eek:
  • Options
    jonmorrisjonmorris Posts: 21,775
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you get a phone with Snapdragon 800 (or the 801 in the M8, Galaxy S5 and Z2) then I really don't think you'll find any lagging, or other problems. TouchWiz has been known to have issues, but I think it gets better on every update.

And even an iPhone can 'stutter' at times.

It's not a massive problem on any of them though, in my opinion.

In fact, I think that you'd find that a £99 Moto G will be super smooth the vast majority of the time too. The only thing that might ever spoil the party is when the system kills the launcher and you have to wait a few seconds for it to reload and place all the icons on the screen again. That's certainly not as slick as an iPhone, but it doesn't happen often (and will hardly ever happen on a device with 3GB of RAM).
  • Options
    Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nexus 4 & 5 are probably the best. And they will get updated to the next version of Android the fastest.

The Nexus devices don't have any UI layers and Google tends to optimise Android for these devices so I think it's probably the best choice for a smooth experience.

I don't know about the Note 3. It's certainly powerful, but personally I couldn't put up with the cheap ugly faux leather design.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Nexus 5 is very slick, no doubt about that.. but my Z1 doesn't lag either, nor the HTC One M8 review unit I got yesterday.

And as I said, even the Moto G is fast.

The Note 3 and some of the Galaxy tablets have been reported as having various issues, but that's almost certainly down to a combination of TouchWiz and its own drivers (some have said that the Exynos and Snapdragon versions have massive differences in terms of optimisation).

Those aside, you'll find it hard to get an Android phone or tablet today that isn't smooth. Well, unless your searching includes £50 phones from eBay.
  • Options
    slick1twoslick1two Posts: 2,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HTC One M8 is a good one to go for, the S5 will be a match for it and the new Xperia z1. If you are going on aesthetics and look and feel I would say the HTC One m8 looks the part as far as Android phones go.

In terms of Android and lag, you won't see it now on new top end and even mid range Android devices. Anything from a Moto G to Nexus 4 and 5, Samsung S4 and the older HTC One will all give you a great lag free experience.

Just base your decision on unique features of each phone, what is important to you such as sound quality, camera, the design, and the various software features that are implemented. I am sure you will be more than happy with any of the top Android phones which are not only a match for Iphone user experience, but now go beyond what an iphone can offer. So I am sure you will find one that best fits your requirements.
  • Options
    KieranDSKieranDS Posts: 16,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd suggest the Nexus range.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Many thanks for the responses guys they were all really useful :)

Looking at the specs I didn't expect any scroll lag or "jerkiness" at all on the note 3 but it was definitely there, I even found a video on youtube with someone with similar experiences, its only obvious as I'm coming from the 5S.

I do agree with you guys and it does look like TouchWiz is the issue, I played with a friends Nexus and I didnt notice any slowness while scrolling or switching browser windows.

I'll wait for some video reviews to come out on youtube of the M8 (also I believe it'll be available as a google play edition!?) and then it'll be down to the HTC M8 or Nexus.

Thanks again for everyones input was really useful and look forward to the bigger screen!
  • Options
    daleski75daleski75 Posts: 1,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    corpjones wrote: »
    Many thanks for the responses guys they were all really useful :)

Looking at the specs I didn't expect any scroll lag or "jerkiness" at all on the note 3 but it was definitely there, I even found a video on youtube with someone with similar experiences, its only obvious as I'm coming from the 5S.

I do agree with you guys and it does look like TouchWiz is the issue, I played with a friends Nexus and I didnt notice any slowness while scrolling or switching browser windows.

I'll wait for some video reviews to come out on youtube of the M8 (also I believe it'll be available as a google play edition!?) and then it'll be down to the HTC M8 or Nexus.

Thanks again for everyones input was really useful and look forward to the bigger screen!

Nexus 5 cannot be beaten for the price if you are going sim-free.
  • Options
    corfcorf Posts: 1,499
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My Nexus 5 is smoother than I was expecting, Still scroll lag in the browsers but thats about it. Its very fast and Android is improving but its not as slick as an iPhone.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    corf wrote: »
    My Nexus 5 is smoother than I was expecting, Still scroll lag in the browsers but thats about it. Its very fast and Android is improving but its not as slick as an iPhone.

It's certainly catching up though and it makes it much harder to choose another handset with their skin on it once you get used to the fluidity of a stock nexus phone.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I've seen videos showing some jerkiness on the Note 3 and Galaxy Tab 10.1 2014 edition, and it's all been put down to TouchWiz. I'd have hoped that since the release of these, Samsung has fixed the problem.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jonmorris wrote: »
    I've seen videos showing some jerkiness on the Note 3 and Galaxy Tab 10.1 2014 edition, and it's all been put down to TouchWiz. I'd have hoped that since the release of these, Samsung has fixed the problem.

The best way to fix Touchwiz is to remove it completely! :D
  • Options
    Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yeah there will be a Google Play Edition of the M8 but once again not available in the UK. However if you decided on the M8 and wanted the stock experience, it shouldn't be too hard to flash the Google Play Edition software on to the M8 if you wanted to tinker.

Personally I'm tempted to get the M8 and convert it to a Google Play Edition, but part of me also wants to wait for the next Nexus which will probably come along later this year, I've got a bit of a decision to make there as well. :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    daleski75 wrote: »
    The best way to fix Touchwiz is to remove it completely! :D

I'm pretty new to Android and didnt realize that was possible, once removed is it definitely smooth? not afraid of tinkering as had a jailbroken IOS for some time too (on my older iphone!).
  • Options
    The SackThe Sack Posts: 10,415
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nexus 5, a relative bargain next to the price of all the other high end SIM free phones.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Sack wrote: »
    Nexus 5, a relative bargain next to the price of all the other high end SIM free phones.

Yeah, about half the cost (or more) compared to the cost of the 2014 flagships at launch.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And any upcoming one that has that would do well to be called the Nexus Propaganda.

:)
  • Options
    StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    And any upcoming one that has that would do well to be called the Nexus Propaganda.

:)

Second time i have seen you post this, and the second time i have no idea what on earth you are talking about.

Care to explain?
  • Options
    slick1twoslick1two Posts: 2,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    daleski75 wrote: »
    Nexus 5 cannot be beaten for the price if you are going sim-free.

Nexus 5 is a great phone but it's let down pretty badly n the battery department. My friend at work needs to carry a portable charger with him to get him through the day, but he loses big chunk of battery before he even gets in, on his way he gets through close to 30% within an hour just watching some video and a little browsing. I don't know if its an issue with his n5 but compared with my HTC One I get home with plenty battery to spare on moderate to heavy use. That would be my only criticism with the N5

Aside from that pure android, fast processor and can get one with 32gb of storage (but no sd card) For the price it's a pretty great phone.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stiggles wrote: »
    ...Care to explain?
    Newbie posts with 'smooth as IOS' ?

These days even cheap and cheerful Android phones at £40 or less have that smoothness.
    With such a 'last decade comment' are we really meant to take it seriously? If anything It feels a last bastion marketing angle for IOS.
  • Options
    StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    slick1two wrote: »
    Nexus 5 is a great phone but it's let down pretty badly n the battery department. My friend at work needs to carry a portable charger with him to get him through the day, but he loses big chunk of battery before he even gets in, on his way he gets through close to 30% within an hour just watching some video and a little browsing. I don't know if its an issue with his n5 but compared with my HTC One I get home with plenty battery to spare on moderate to heavy use. That would be my only criticism with the N5

Aside from that pure android, fast processor and can get one with 32gb of storage (but no sd card) For the price it's a pretty great phone.

Hmmm...I would suggest he has a fault then or has a rogue app.

Yesterday, i took mine off charge at 8am, used it a few times to text and call, went for a snooze early evening, went to work at 11, text the missus, browsed facebook, streamed spotify and a radio app all night pretty much and came home at 7.30am this morning with 40% left.

I have found even with heavy use, i still last the day easily. And to be honest, that's all it needs as im near a charger when in bed anyway!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    slick1two wrote: »

That sounds like an app is keeping his phone awake on 3G or wireless. Before I lost mine I would take it off charge at 6am and use it all day and then put it on charge around 11pm at night and it still had 40% or so battery left with around 3 hours of actually screen usage.