Top Of The Pops 1979 BBC4 (Part 2)

SupportSupport Posts: 70,784
Administrator
This is true! Something else I recall is that some things benefited more from being in colour, such as nature programmes - oh, and snooker of course! :D while others were rather a shock to the system. I remember people saying how awful Coronation Street looked in colour and that they preferred it in b/w.

Fondly remember my granddad being puzzled about colour TV. At first only a few programmes were in colour, and it would be proudly announced beforehand: "The following programme is in colour!"
Granddad was disappointed: "They keep on about this colour telly, but I ent seen none yet!" Mum had to explain to him that you needed a special TV for it. He was expecting to get it on his old set, bless him.

Fantastic version, isn't it :cool:

This thread is a continuation of: Top Of The Pops 1979 BBC4

Comments

• Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "It's still No1 it's TOTP!"

No longer. In at No2 with a bullet. ;-)
  • UrsulaUUrsulaU Posts: 7,239
    Forum Member
    Ooh a new page! :D
  • ShrewnShrewn Posts: 6,844
    Forum Member
    Colour TV arrived in our house in May 1979 - Cup Final day. We had it on for Swap Shop and Grandstand, then about 2.50 the sound went off. after lots of attempts to get it back, we had to have the Radio 2 commentary with the TV pictures. Fine, until you realise Peter Jones and Denis Law were on the other side of Wembley and their "left hand side" was the TV viewer's right!

It went back on Monday and another one appeared shortly after
  • SgtRockSgtRock Posts: 11,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't normally post in threads that get to a second part!

Better post in this one so I can find it more easily now...
  • merrim01merrim01 Posts: 2,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What date do the repeats commence again guys?
  • Tele_addictTele_addict Posts: 1,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hopefully it will be coming back!
  • ramraider1ramraider1 Posts: 14,432
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's probably on tonight... but only on Rich Tea's TV of course. :D
  • Robert WilliamsRobert Williams Posts: 2,212
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    merrim01 wrote: »
    What date do the repeats commence again guys?
    The last Thursday Prom on BBC Four is on 11th September, so TOTP could be back on 18th September, although it depends whether that's a Sky at Night week or not!
  • ClareBClareB Posts: 2,597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just seen on Facebook it's the 4th September!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ClareB wrote: »
    Just seen on Facebook it's the 4th September!

I saw that too! Good news. It's still another 4 weeks to wait though without any TOTP. :(
  • Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wish BBC Four would move it to another night while the Proms are on.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When it comes back, we will be back in synch with the actual week, 6th september.
  • Alex_DowlingAlex_Dowling Posts: 614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My first day at Sixth Form is when Top Of The Pops 1979 is back after 6 weeks off because of the BBC Proms
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My first day at Sixth Form is when Top Of The Pops 1979 is back after 6 weeks off because of the BBC Proms

And I was just about heading off for university. I always associate my first weeks at uni with songs by Sad Cafe, Rainbow and the Police.
  • merrim01merrim01 Posts: 2,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glenn A wrote: »
    I wish BBC Four would move it to another night while the Proms are on.

They probably did this so that we stay in sync, we've had to skip so many shows recently we were way out of sync. This is why they should start showing random years then the episodes they have to skip won't be so much of an issue, we could also see some early 70s shows.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I started doing mobile discos in 1979 with my citronic disco decks as a 21yr old , good pop/ disco records back then!
  • Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ramraider1 wrote: »
    And I was just about heading off for university. I always associate my first weeks at uni with songs by Sad Cafe, Rainbow and the Police.

It was my first week at secondary school. I always seem to associate We Don't Talk Any More by Cliff Richard with that huge leap forward in my life. Actually my first term there saw punk give way to mod and Two Tone and the graffiti seen on desks was often, PUNK IS HISTORY- MOD IS NEWS.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Glenn A wrote: »
    It was my first week at secondary school. I always seem to associate We Don't Talk Any More by Cliff Richard with that huge leap forward in my life. Actually my first term there saw punk give way to mod and Two Tone and the graffiti seen on desks was often, PUNK IS HISTORY- MOD IS NEWS.

Just shows you how times have changed. We don't get a lot of graffiti on desks nowadays. And they say kids have changed for the worse.

It seems like 1979 was a significant year of change in quite a few posters' lives.

From now on I would be watching the Pops in the Halls of residence TV room. It was always a full house on Thursdays at 7.30. Halcyon days.
  • Shady_Pines1Shady_Pines1 Posts: 1,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't have anything to say, just shamelessly marking my place, lol. :)
  • Alex_DowlingAlex_Dowling Posts: 614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    merrim01 wrote: »
    They probably did this so that we stay in sync, we've had to skip so many shows recently we were way out of sync. This is why they should start showing random years then the episodes they have to skip won't be so much of an issue, we could also see some early 70s shows.

Sadly a lot of the early 1970s Top Of The Pops is wiped and not many of the surfing early 70s totp will get shown because most of them were presented by Jimmy Savile and we just get to watch Tony Blackburn episodes.
  • ML11ML11 Posts: 888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sadly a lot of the early 1970s Top Of The Pops is wiped and not many of the surfing early 70s totp will get shown because most of them were presented by Jimmy Savile and we just get to watch Tony Blackburn episodes.

German TV channel Einsfestival.de show many early 1970s editions of Top Of The Pops, I've seen some of them while I had my foreign set up,
  • corriandercorriander Posts: 6,207
    Forum Member

It was my second year; and Sad Cafe; well we have them coming up this Autumn.:)
    Paul Young RIP.:(
  • Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,507
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ML11 wrote: »
    German TV channel Einsfestival.de show many early 1970s editions of Top Of The Pops, I've seen some of them while I had my foreign set up,

Surely their repeats were from before the Savile situation blew up?

Think the Germans edited out Glitter, from watching NyRainbow's old stuff on You Tube.
  • UrsulaUUrsulaU Posts: 7,239
    Forum Member
    It's probably on tonight... but only on Rich Tea's TV of course. :D

Haha!
  • China GirlChina Girl Posts: 2,755
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Saw Rainbow live, Graham Bonnet was their singer at the time. He was wearing his usual white jacket. What a fantastic night that was. ;-)