2000T 4x3 does not work properly

JamesEJamesE Posts: 6,456
Forum Member
Having done a lot of pontificating on another thread about setting screen ratios I have to admit that I was basing what had to say on experience of the 9200. The 2000 does not work properly. If you set it to 4x3 nothing happens when you try and select centre, 16x9 or 14x9. The 9200 does work properly thus enabling one to select 4x3 and then 14x9 or even centre when a film is shown in an extreme aspect ratio e.g. 2.2:1 and then putting the TV on zoom. Granted this loses the left and right edges but I find that I prefer it to "slotvision". However it does seem to allow one to select 4x3 when a 4x3 picture is being transmitted in 16x9 with side bars and then zooming the TV to give a full width picture but with top and bottom missing - usually not a problem unless it is a very old film when they did seem to use the whole picture height for detail.

I am finding this rather annoying. BTW the Sky box does it properly but that doesn't have the 14x9 option which is a good compromise on an extreme aspect ratio transmission. Why has the 2000 the setting options which do not work?

Please note that the fiddling about which I am describing above is always with preserved proportions - I am not doing what some people do and end up with fat or thin people - sometimes referred to as "stretchy vision"!

Comments

• anthony davidanthony david Posts: 14,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What does your TV display on a 16X9 broadcast, centre cut out or what? Some, but not all, 4X3 TVs will auto switch their height between 4X3 and 16X9 broadcasts if the source is set for a 16X9 TV using a different voltage on, I think, pin 8 of the SCART plug which I assume you are using. Two Sony TVs I used to own did this but a Toshiba did not. 4X3 TVs were long gone by the time the 2000 was designed and it may not be fully supported, check with Humax. It was designed for 16X9 TVs with an HDMI i/p, SCART is a legacy only.

I'm assuming you have a 4X3 TV, if your TV is 16X9 and the 2000 is set to o/p HD, then your TV, or PVR, will probably not respond to what it considers to be non standard modes as HD (1080/720) is widescreen only by design.
  • Luis EssexLuis Essex Posts: 2,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JamesE wrote: »
    Why has the 2000 the setting options which do not work?
    This was reported online as far back as November 2013. https://myhumax.org/forum/topic/setting-display-format

There continue to be reports of others discovering this for themselves with some stating that they have returned the unit.
  • JamesEJamesE Posts: 6,456
    Forum Member
    @Luis Essex - thanks for that. I presume though that it will never be fixed, seeing that the latest software was Feb. 2015.

@Anthony David - I'm sorry but you've completely misunderstood the post. Of course I'm using a 16x9 TV. It has the ability to "zoom" i.e. it will make a centred 4x3 picture fill the screen put preserve proportion by cutting off some top and bottom. I am fully aware of pin 8 switching.