A Few iPod Touch Questions

scorpio20080scorpio20080 Posts: 2,894
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi everyone, im new to this part of the forum and have a couple of questions about the iPod Touch if any of you wont mind answering.

☻ First - Ive got the software version 1.4 on my iPod Touch. Is it worth paying £5.99 for an upgrade to software version 2.1? What are the benefits? What kind of games will you be able to play if I do upgrade it?

☻ Second - Are there any games which will work without upgrading? A lot of the games ive seen on the iTunes store dont work with the iPod Touch but are compatible with all other iPods...:confused:

☻ Third - Ive downloaded loads of songs from iTunes but have never been able to save them on my computer. Is there a way to do this, or will it be 'stuck' on iTunes forever?

Thanks for any replies...:)

Comments

• Gareth56Gareth56 Posts: 2,856
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To answer your first question there are instances where downloading the upgrades have messed up the itouch. Have a look on the Apple Discussions site. I only use mine for music, audiobooks and the odd browsing so I haven't paid for the privelage of upgrading.

Q3 I think you can burn the songs you have downloaded onto a CD.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi everyone, im new to this part of the forum and have a couple of questions about the iPod Touch if any of you wont mind answering.

☻ First - Ive got the software version 1.4 on my iPod Touch. Is it worth paying £5.99 for an upgrade to software version 2.1? What are the benefits? What kind of games will you be able to play if I do upgrade it?

☻ Second - Are there any games which will work without upgrading? A lot of the games ive seen on the iTunes store dont work with the iPod Touch but are compatible with all other iPods...:confused:

☻ Third - Ive downloaded loads of songs from iTunes but have never been able to save them on my computer. Is there a way to do this, or will it be 'stuck' on iTunes forever?

1st I think the upgrade is worth the money. Lots of free apps out there eg facebook , ifooty If you want to keep track of your team , some good cheap games too

2nd you would have to jailbreak your iPod which is ok if you're a techie but not really otherwise and technically invalidates your warranty

3rd all stored in your "music" folder in iTunes sub folder and you can burn them onto cd via iTunes then transfer pretty much anywhere then
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,750
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

1. Yes I think it is worth the upgrade. 2.1 adds a lot of cool new things such as applications which sets it apart from most MP3 players out there.

2. When looking for "iPod Touch/iPhone" games you need to go the App Store not iPod Games. iPod Games are for all the other iPods like the Nano and Classics. It is a good idea to read through the description of the app to make sure they are not an iPhone only app.

3. I'm not quite sure what you mean here..all songs downloaded from iTunes are automatically added to your computer in your Music folder. There are 2 types of song you can download. One is Protected AAC and the other is Purchased AAC. The Purchased AAC you can copy and move around. Protected AAC are DRM'd meaning the are pretty limited, so to move these around to other programs and devices other than iTunes and iPod then you need to burn them to CD and then rip them back and this will get rid of the DRM, although converting from Lossy to Lossy is not usually best advised.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 23
    Forum Member
    If your able to use google effectivley you should be able to find a copy of the updated software for free. Then you just have to use itunes to install it for you.

Would recommend jailbreaking the touch, you get much better 3rd part apps then apple.