Options

Gallifreys Next Top Doctor is...

Comments

• Options
    fifi_folEfifi_folE Posts: 900
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    After discussing with one of my mates, perhaps someone that is known in America but not necessarily a household name as will help with marketing over in the states. So Matthew Goode or Henry Ian Cusick (with the accent he used in LOST).
  • Options
    CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Those who said Daniels was in now say that he's out - coinciding with BD returning to Twitter after a month's absence.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 509
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CD93 wrote: »
    Those who said Daniels was in now say that he's out - coinciding with BD returning to Twitter after a month's absence.

- This could be misinformation to throw people off the scent.
    - Or 'Ben Daniels has been definitely been cast!' could have been the original misinformation.
    - Or there's been no misinformation leaked at all and someone somewhere got the wrong end of the stick.

I love this speculation time! :D
  • Options
    Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member

I wouldn't rule him out just yet though:D
  • Options
    TRT1968TRT1968 Posts: 2,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Phil Daniels?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :cool:david bowie be a ace dr who ax
  • Options
    mikey1980mikey1980 Posts: 3,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

A friend of a friend - someone who has always been a reliable source of behind the scenes information in Doctor Who - informed me last weekend that Ben Daniels had already been cast as the Doctor.

This wouldn't be particularly surprising. Matt Smith was announced as the new doctor over 12 months before David Tenannt's regneration was show. And remember that the Christmas special filming gets underway in 2-3 months time.

I doubt something so important as the next doctor would be left to the last minute. I imagine that the production team have known about Smith's departure for several months, and thus the search for a doctor has happened and has now been completed.
  • Options
    CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have no doubt that he has already been cast, which made this Ben Daniels thing fairly credible in my eyes - especially as the info came from those who tend to know these things. So I am interested in this back-peddling from them.
  • Options
    jude007jude007 Posts: 2,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have no doubt that he has already been cast, which made this Ben Daniels thing fairly credible in my eyes - especially as the info came from those who tend to know these things. So I am interested in this back-peddling from them.

Really hope it is Ben Daniels.

As an actor he is not someone you would associate with Dr Who.

Also he is not your typical good looking guy and I don't mean that in a bad way, but to me he does have something about in and also a certain air about him
  • Options
    sandydunesandydune Posts: 10,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tom Payne , he was a young George Best.:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jude007 wrote: »
    Really hope it is Ben Daniels.

As an actor he is not someone you would associate with Dr Who.

Also he is not your typical good looking guy and I don't mean that in a bad way, but to me he does have something about in and also a certain air about him

Yes, he fits the bill. He's experienced, has gravitas, but isn't a 'big star'.

I'm surprised that there are currently so many different threads on who the 12th Doctor could be, and debating whether or not there should be a female doctor.

The casting decision has already been made, and all the signs and noises indicate that it's definitely Ben Daniels.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mikey1980 wrote: »
    The casting decision has already been made, and all the signs and noises indicate that it's definitely Ben Daniels.

The signs did point to him, but general consensus in lots of threads on GB at the minute is that he's had to pull out.

Or it could be the spoiler-people realised someone's been having them on and had to back-track with as much dignity as possible, of course. ;)
  • Options
    GilaGoraGilaGora Posts: 1,191
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If Daniels is cast then it will probably mean no Doctor/Companion romance in the next era given his age. That can only be a good thing. :D
  • Options
    MirelaMirela Posts: 1,509
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tom Spilsbury (editor of Doctor Who Magazine) is now following Ben Daniels on Twitter. Bit suspicious if you ask me...

...of course it might not be anything, but still - intriguing ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Mirela wrote: »
    Tom Spilsbury (editor of Doctor Who Magazine) is now following Ben Daniels on Twitter. Bit suspicious if you ask me...

...of course it might not be anything, but still - intriguing ;)

I don't think even the editor of Dr Who magazine is going to know who the next Doctor is yet!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flicking through different threads on GB, the consensus is definitely that Ben Daniels has had to pull out.

This seems rather odd. Apparantly Matt Smith's decision to quit has been common knowledge behind the scenes for about six months; and Daniels has apparently been the favoured replacement for a couple of months. It's rather far down the line to suddenly pull out.

It could be complete nonsense; it could be deliberate misinformation; or it could be the truth.

Another name being suggested is James Callis, who played Doctor Baltar in Battlestar Galactica, and also had a cameo role in the Bridget Jones film series. Callis is a fine British actor with a terrific range, and if you've seen him in Battlestar, you'll know he does quirky very well.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wouldn't mind seeing Tim Roth do something. Maybe not a Doctor, but a timelord... maybe a rogue who escaped during The End of Time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alex Siddig?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,726
    Forum Member
    Wouldn't mind seeing Nathan Fillion as The Doctor....
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wouldn't mind seeing Nathan Fillion as The Doctor....
    Not so much 'Captain Tightpants' as 'Captain Stretchpants' nowadays.

Also... terrible idea. The Doctor is so not American.

Ben Daniels would be an intriguing choice. He was absolutely brilliant as Tony in 'Beautiful Thing'. :p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,726
    Forum Member
    Sh'boobie wrote: »
    Not so much 'Captain Tightpants' as 'Captain Stretchpants' nowadays.

Also... terrible idea. The Doctor is so not American.

Ben Daniels would be an intriguing choice. He was absolutely brilliant as Tony in 'Beautiful Thing'. :p

The Doctors not British either ;)

its just his acting style (especially as Mal, goofy then sarcy then angry) would fit the doctor and his multiple personality disorder well
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mutterings on twitter (and then subsequently on GB) that the next Doctor may be announced as early as tomorrow. Only one guy saying it though, so I wouldn't get your hopes up...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6
    Forum Member
  • Options
    sandydunesandydune Posts: 10,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    what about Jim?:confused:
  • Options
    GaladrielGaladriel Posts: 365
    Forum Member
    sandydune wrote: »