Options

The Ratings Thread (Part 64)

Comments

• Options
    BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,674
    Forum Member
    yorkie100 wrote: »
    The ratings for Strange and Norrel are probably as good as it was likely to get although I do wonder what timeshifts it could get. Homes Fires is ok ratings wise but I am finding it pretty dull to be honest.
    An incredibly biased piece (as ever with this publication) on the Radio Times website today can't do any harm: http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2015-05-18/jonathan-strange-and-mr-norrell-casts-a-spell-over-viewers

Home Fires is more traditional Sunday night fare though so should pull away before long.
  • Options
    ServalanServalan Posts: 10,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Score wrote: »
    If they were that convinced it was going to be huge they'd have given it a better lead-in than Sunday Night at The Palladium and it wouldn't be taking a week off mid-run.

It's doing fine. Not amazingly but it has a solid audience and has held up well across the run. That gap between it and Strange & Norrell will widen as the weeks go on.

I agree about the gap widening - but I'd predict that'll be more to do with S&N dropping than Home Fires increasing. It had the perfect opportunity to do that this week - up against a cult series that would play just as well on BBC2 - and it didn't show any real signs of benefitting from that.

A solid audience of less than 5m isn't what ITV needs, unless that audience is particularly valuable … and I'd wager the demographics for JS&MN would be more appealing than those for HF.

ITV needs a much bigger drama hit than that.
  • Options
    cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dancc wrote: »
    An incredibly biased piece (as ever with this publication) on the Radio Times website today can't do any harm: http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2015-05-18/jonathan-strange-and-mr-norrell-casts-a-spell-over-viewers

Home Fires is more traditional Sunday night fare though so should pull away before long.
    The BBC don't own Radio Times anymore. They sold it off! Idiots! RT like what they like.
  • Options
    burbeburbe Posts: 1,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dullagj2 wrote: »
    EastEnders:

Mon: 6.92m [+950k}
    Tue: 7.26m [+650k]
    Thu: 7.01m [+890k]
    Fri: 7.15m [+1.03m]

It feels weird now seeing Friday as one of the biggest rated days for EE without the timeshift issue. It should hopefully mean all of last week's episodes pass 7m as well based on their overnight figures.
  • Options
    hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Servalan wrote: »
    That wasn't a very convincing win …

Home Fires isn't the big hit ITV need. It was obviously intended to target the CTM audience … and they haven't taken the bait.

Still better then that overrated crap on BBC1 at the same time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Score wrote: »
    If they were that convinced it was going to be huge they'd have given it a better lead-in than Sunday Night at The Palladium and it wouldn't be taking a week off mid-run.

It's doing fine. Not amazingly but it has a solid audience and has held up well across the run. That gap between it and Strange & Norrell will widen as the weeks go on.

I don't think people working on Call The Midwife expected it to be big. You don't know where the hits will come from but you have a rough idea. Also Home Fires could grow, that is what happened with Death In Paradise.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    derek500 wrote: »
    That reminds me, watched the first two episodes of The Affair (Sky Atlantic) last night. Excellent stuff. Another US drama using Brits playing Americans in lead roles. Ruth Wilson is stunningly good.

You were right about The Affair Derek! Excellent!
  • Options
    jlp95bwfcjlp95bwfc Posts: 18,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Emmerdale summer trailer:

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/soaps/s12/emmerdale/news/a648044/emmerdale-see-new-shocks-for-the-village-in-dramatic-summer-trailer.html#~pd3LyZ6qwCPruI

After EE's dull attempt, this is how you do a summer trailer. Doesn't even include the big summer stunt but it still looks very dramatic.
  • Options
    BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,674
    Forum Member
    As I predicted, looks as though the digital channels will be the focus for C5 at the LA Screenings this year as opposed to the main channel.

They want new drama every weeknight at 9pm on 5USA, and to build on the success of Chicago PD and The Mysteries of Laura. For 5* they want younger, glossier, female-skewing dramas.

http://m.broadcastnow.co.uk/5088354.article
  • Options
    NeilVWNeilVW Posts: 8,635
    Forum Member
    Hello all. Nothing much appears to have changed while I was away. ITV not in a ratings crisis, say their bosses.

Week ending 10 May

BBC One 22.76%
    ITV 13.46% (inc HD & +1)

;-)
  • Options
    Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dancc wrote: »
    This thread has felt quieter for a good few months now.

Where's ronant these days? I see @TVRatingsUK has gone and I haven't seen him on here for a while. Hope everything is okay. We disagreed quite often, but he was a good poster and much missed.

Its quite noticeable. In part I think its because there isn't a Samuel style character around anymore. I know he wound some people up but there was a bit more spice to reading this thread.
  • Options
    PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    burbe wrote: »
    It feels weird now seeing Friday as one of the biggest rated days for EE without the timeshift issue. It should hopefully mean all of last week's episodes pass 7m as well based on their overnight figures.
    It's nice to be getting accurate ratings for EastEnders at last. They were all underestimates, with the Friday figures being the most inaccurate.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NeilVW wrote: »
    Hello all. Nothing much appears to have changed while I was away. ITV not in a ratings crisis, say their bosses.

Week ending 10 May

BBC One 22.76%
    ITV 13.46% (inc HD & +1)

;-)
    :D

Crozier has pulled too much money from the main channel's budget.
  • Options
    yorkie100yorkie100 Posts: 9,372
    Forum Member
    Chris1964 wrote: »
    Its quite noticeable. In part I think its because there isn't a Samuel style character around anymore. I know he wound some people up but there was a bit more spice to reading this thread.

I think its also because there is just not as much access to the ratings as we have had before. We used to get people with full access now we seem to be living on scraps.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chris1964 wrote: »
    Robbie v George was entertaining, but Robbie's posts are few and far between now, and George was last seen as a spoof on Twitter.
  • Options
    yorkie100yorkie100 Posts: 9,372
    Forum Member
    :D

Crozier has pulled too much money from the main channel's budget.

Although of course ITV have denied that - do we believe them? ;-)
  • Options
    Andy23Andy23 Posts: 15,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Probably because ratings are quite predictable. Once episode 2 airs most shows pretty much stay flat for the rest of the series, so conversation immediately turns to trying to guess what will follow on in 4 weeks time.

Also there are a lot of middle of the road ratings on weeknights, even though BBC1 are generally winning most slots, it's still generally with 4m which doesn't excite and generate much comment, It may be that expectations need to be revised, and not to expect those massive 6M+ ratings.

Then you've got vast swathes of the schedules being made up of the same programmes every week, which I know some people like to discuss each time as if it's a new series, but many cant be bothered. The soaps are an example of this, no doubt Big Brother with its just above 1m rating will be discussed afresh every day for the next 48 weeks or however long it lasts as well.

And then also many people seem to be happy with just throwing in a one line quip and then retiring, with no attempt to have a two sided discussion... Bad for Corri lol.
  • Options
    hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hope the Chelsea Flower Show will do well in the ratings, Because it is different from the other stuff at this time most of the year.
  • Options
    Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    NeilVW wrote: »

Week ending 10 May

BBC One 22.76%
    ITV 13.46% (inc HD & +1)

;-)

Welcome back. ITV wont look back on the first half of 2015 with much cheer, but the second half promises a lot more.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's nice to be getting accurate ratings for EastEnders at last. They were all underestimates, with the Friday figures being the most inaccurate.

Neil VW returns and the EastEnders Friday timeshift problem was something he spotted ages ago.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Robbie v George was entertaining, but Robbie's posts are few and far between now, and George was last seen as a spoof on Twitter.

George S and Sweaty Job Riot are inactive. Shame. George could be very annoying though! :D Their presence is missed along with Samuel in my opinion.
  • Options
    Roscoe BarnesRoscoe Barnes Posts: 6,360
    Forum Member
    Does anyone have a list of Eurovision ratings for the past few years please? Thanks. :)
  • Options
    dan2008dan2008 Posts: 37,281
    Forum Member
    jlp95bwfc wrote: »
    Emmerdale summer trailer:

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/soaps/s12/emmerdale/news/a648044/emmerdale-see-new-shocks-for-the-village-in-dramatic-summer-trailer.html#~pd3LyZ6qwCPruI

After EE's dull attempt, this is how you do a summer trailer. Doesn't even include the big summer stunt but it still looks very dramatic.
    That EastEnders trailer features two weeks of storylines that isn't even at the hight of summer. God knows why they called it a ''Summer trailer'' There's No carters,the Mitchell storyline,Kathy's brief return and the Bobby Beale plot.
  • Options
    jlp95bwfcjlp95bwfc Posts: 18,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dan2008 wrote: »
    That EastEnders trailer features two weeks of storylines that isn't even at the hight of summer. God knows why they called it a ''Summer trailer'' There's No carters,the Mitchell storyline,Kathy's brief return and the Bobby Beale plot.

That's EE problem then isn't it :D. ED and Corrie look great in the coming weeks. Apparently the BGT fire on Corrie "is bigger than the Rovers fire and the tram crash explosion".
  • Options
    Jaycee DoveJaycee Dove Posts: 18,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mr Norrell was very Jonathan Strange. A few I know tuned in for curiosity as it looked 'intriguing' and ended up thinking it was just a lot of old men chattering about dusty books. I will give it another week to see if a story that makes any sense materialises out of a top hat but expect it will drop to around 3.5 million next week.

As for the ending to Jason I think the creators said that the arrival at a port with an old ship in dock was to lead into a Jason and the Argonauts odyssey as the theme for series 3.

Atlantis sinking was planned to be the final series but the ratings sort of it did it for them more than a tsunami could.
This discussion has been closed.