Have you ever discovered some shocking family secrets?

ShadowmaidenShadowmaiden Posts: 3,030
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Last night my mum had a bit too much to drink while watching Strictly Come Dancing and ended up spilling the beans about a member of my family (now dead), which has left me so stunned I am still in shock now!:eek:

This person is always portrayed as a bit of a saint in the family, couldn't do anything wrong, would do anything for anyone type. So these revelations have rocked me to the core! Without going into details, none of the above was true and this person was actually a piece of work.

Its shattered many of my childhood memories as I was very young when this person died, and I have lots of memories of them showering me and the other children in the family with gifts and presents.

Has this ever happened to anyone else?

Comments

• SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Reveal the secret!!!!!
  • chocoholic100chocoholic100 Posts: 6,411
    Forum Member
    oh yes, I have heard some pretty awful stuff

but as long as its not directly affecting you, and if they have passed on there isnt really a chance to get their side of the story, so sometimes it really is best just to not let it upset you
  • ShadowmaidenShadowmaiden Posts: 3,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mattyhope wrote: »
    Reveal the secret!!!!!

Philandering, stealing, lying, cheating. You name it.
  • Lego PigLego Pig Posts: 2,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well a couple of years ago a found a birth certificate and when I questioned my mother I found out I had a brother who died as a child before I was born.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I found a different dad's name on my birth certificate:eek:
  • Mumof3Mumof3 Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I found out that my mum had an affair, after 20yrs of marriage, when I was 10 years old. In the grand scheme of things, that may not be regarded as very shocking, but I was pretty gutted to discover that my parents' happy marriage was an illusion.

It's not really a secret, but it is shocking: my cousin was killed when he was backpacking abroad, and I find it quite difficult whenever I'm in airports and I see 20-something lads coming home from their travels.
  • Jennifer JayneJennifer Jayne Posts: 9,022
    Forum Member
    Well not found out a secret but told one about myself to my parents friday.
  • Hobbit FeetHobbit Feet Posts: 18,798
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My cousins father is not his father...

Not that shocking except that all the people who know this are dead, except me and my mum.

No.... it's never crossed my mind to tell my cousin.
  • ShadowmaidenShadowmaiden Posts: 3,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My cousins father is not his father...

Not that shocking except that all the people who know this are dead, except me and my mum.

No.... it's never crossed my mind to tell my cousin.

I know that one of cousins has a secret sister she doesn't even know exists. Her dad fathered her as a teenager before he met my Auntie. No one has ever thought to tell her, but Im sure one day she will find out and the shit will hit the fan.
  • kookiethekatkookiethekat Posts: 2,867
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My mum told me a few years ago that 2 of my borthers don't have the father they think.

She had an affair with MY dad when she was still married and living with her first husband and had 2 kids by him, then she left him and married my dad and had me (and yes I am 100% my dads).

I have been sworn to secrecy till she dies, then she said I can tell who I want
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,803
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We recently ordered my grandfather's birth certificate - only to discover he was born in a caravan. No idea if he knew or not, but he never had a copy of his full birth certificate (he's dead now, so I guess we'll never know either)

Other than that - I think our family is pretty boring!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,433
    Forum Member
    My mum told me a few years ago that 2 of my borthers don't have the father they think.

She had an affair with MY dad when she was still married and living with her first husband and had 2 kids by him, then she left him and married my dad and had me (and yes I am 100% my dads).

I have been sworn to secrecy till she dies, then she said I can tell who I want

this is really sad.:( She shouldn't be able to do this to you. This could (in time) really harm your relationship with your brothers:confused::(
  • kookiethekatkookiethekat Posts: 2,867
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    .Mimi. wrote: »
    this is really sad.:( She shouldn't be able to do this to you. This could (in time) really harm your relationship with your brothers:confused::(

I would never tell them, I didn't grow up with them either because when my mum left her first husband she left all the kids with him (even though 2 were not his)

My dad does not know that he has 2 other kids as well, thats what kills me
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, but I'm not about to reveal them on here! :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,020
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A couple of years ago, my parents started on the family tree thing. Discovered that my father is actually Jewish. For over 70 years, he never knew that his mum was Jewish.
  • benny1982benny1982 Posts: 7,550
    Forum Member
    I have a relative who had an affair while his wife was dying from a lingering illness. He got his bit on the side pregnant 7 months before his wife's death. What a clanker. Couldn't wait until his wife was dead befor he got laid. He then married his bit on the side 8 months after his first wife's death.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was given an old postcard album with hundreds of postcards in it from 1915 - 1938. I read the backs and made a study only to discover that my great aunt, who's album it was, and her first cousin were very much in love with each other even though he was married with a child. They obviously got together eventually and I remember them as a lovely kind couple but I always wondered why they had no children of their own.

It doesn't do to delve to deeply into the family history!
  • birdsongbirdsong Posts: 2,649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Found all sorts of things, illegitimate children, suicides, affairs, syphilis, suspiscions of child abuse, secret fortunes .. just a normal family really :D.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 73
    Forum Member
    I found out that my Grandad wasn't my real Grandad when I was told my real Grandad was an American GI. My Nan was a naughty girl during WW2!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 113
    Forum Member
    I had a great-aunt who spent a few years in the 1920s living in Paris (montmartre). I only met her a few times and she was a wonderful, interesting woman. I had this romantic vision of her being a muse to the various artistic types who lived in Paris at the time. I recently discovered her 'talents' were of the horizontal nature (for which she was remunerated). She also had a huge appetite for illegal substances!
  • James2001James2001 Posts: 73,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes. But I'm not saying what it is, only that it ruins my life because you can't say certain things and have to hide certain interests because the events in question have warped the entire family's minds.
  • FoggerFogger Posts: 3,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am a descendent of a person suspected and tried for "The Camden Town Murder" of 1907.

He was acquitted when defended by the famous Edward Marshall Hall QC in a famous case of the time.

Robert Wood was his name and my mother was also a "Wood"

Did he do it???

http://www.johnbarber.com/CTM/intro.html
  • AbacaAbaca Posts: 2,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    birdsong wrote: »
    Found all sorts of things, illegitimate children, suicides, affairs, syphilis, suspiscions of child abuse, secret fortunes .. just a normal family really :D.

EastEnders must seem tame to you :)
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's a few apparently 'unknown' shocking secrets in our family that date back to between the 40s and 60s. I'm not sure if my grandmother died with hehr screts or what. I've tried asking my mother what they were, but just keep on getting told that my uncle from across the road knows what they are. I think it's just about her sleeping with various men. My mother said she thought she was a 'Lady of the night' which Instantly took to mean that she'd been sleeping around with loads of men and ended up with a few children by the time she stopped doing this sort of thing.
  • MidiboyMidiboy Posts: 8,263
    Forum Member
    My mum revealed a few years ago that my dad, who died in 1978, had a heart attack while they were having sex. I was fairly shocked but it explains why she never wanted to see anyone else!