Options

Another YLOD :(

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 521
Forum Member
✭✭
Got it yesterday while playing UC2 :(

Are going to try and get something back using the Sale of Goods Act, from a catalogue, hopefully this will work.

If not the temp thing will have to do to get my disc and save files :(

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Got it yesterday while playing UC2 :(

Are going to try and get something back using the Sale of Goods Act, from a catalogue, hopefully this will work.

If not the temp thing will have to do to get my disc and save files :(

You should get it fixed and trade it in, did this last week and got a slim only cost me £100 extra for the slim :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    You should get it fixed and trade it in, did this last week and got a slim only cost me £100 extra for the slim :D

Where did you trade it in?

My phat is still going but this could save me arseache cos it's a launch model and it's bound to go tits up when all next years AAA titles hit.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 823
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bad times CF.

I got mine from a catalogue which blew up 2 weeks ago.

mmmmmmm

How long ago did you get it?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SHANK0055 wrote: »
    Where did you trade it in?

My phat is still going but this could save me arseache cos it's a launch model and it's bound to go tits up when all next years AAA titles hit.

Was last week at Game both game and gamestation offered £148 for the console unboxed but think they had a deal on where you got an extra 20% for trade ins that week.

HMV were offering 149 but console had to be boxed they were offering 130 unboxed.

Dont know what the prices are like now but just found my box so think my dads away to trade his in and use my box as his has been noisy as hell. Just waiting on them going :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks guys, ill keep that in mind

I got it about 2-3 years ago
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks guys, ill keep that in mind

I got it about 2-3 years ago

I phoned game/gamestation they were offering £120 for 60gb ps3 so still a decent price.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 788
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

And this is why people should never buy used ps3's/360's etc, people are happily patching up their duff ones and trading them in as working fine.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    silent_man wrote: »
    And this is why people should never buy used ps3's/360's etc, people are happily patching up their duff ones and trading them in as working fine.

Yep suprised they offer so much for the risk there hardly going to be able to sell an old 60gb after paying somebody £150 for it and make a profit.

Though at least when the console dies in a few months the person can take it back to the shop and get it under warranty.
  • Options
    gillyallangillyallan Posts: 31,727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    T'is the season of YLOD it seems.

They contacted me today and although initially told me 4th January, they are now saying all going well it should be 21st December for me. This would be excellent and by the end of the xmas holidays I should just about manage to get all my stuff back on it again and patched.

I now wish I had mentioned to them that they should check out YLODs in relation to playing Black Ops but forgot at the time, as had to get them to sort my singstar tracks out for me.

It seems my original PS3 lasted 17 months and my 2nd replacement also gave up after 17 months.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To make matters worse I had already installed GT5 when it arrived so I wouldnt have to at xmas. Now I'll have to install it all over again. <sigh>
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gillyallan wrote: »
    To make matters worse I had already installed GT5 when it arrived so I wouldnt have to at xmas. Now I'll have to install it all over again. <sigh>

Happend to mine :( Lost my awesome Ferrari, Awesome Ford GT and about a million £ :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No luck, cant find the damn receipt :mad:

anyone got a link to the hair-dryer thing that makes it work again, i NEED my save data!!
    Also, how long does it last?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    whooops...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No luck, cant find the damn receipt :mad:

anyone got a link to the hair-dryer thing that makes it work again, i NEED my save data!!
    Also, how long does it last?

A Few hours i believe,

Wrap it in a towel is it not then it eventually works?

Think theres a few vids on Youtube.

When'd you buy the console if it's under a year Sony will still cover it without the receipt :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the one I read says to turn the PS3 upside down with back vents towards you. Then blow hot air in as you move side to side for about 15 mins, being careful not to melt the plastic. Then you need to let it fully cool down before moving it.

I briefly tried it but didnt do it for anywhere near 15 mins. The reason I chickened out is that mine is getting replaced anyway and dont want to be handing them a melted lump of plastic back. The few mins I tried it for resulted in zero improvement to my YLOD.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,848
    Forum Member
    Dismantle and use a hot air plastic welder.

Our was still working after copying to a 320GB Slim
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Arrgghhh frustrating. My replacement Ps3 has made it to the courier depot about 5 miles from me.
    Should get it tomorrow.....I hope.
  • Options
    Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

My 40GB fatty will be 3 this Christmas (was a present to myself :D ). It's already been repaired once, earlier this year (BD drive failure), so I'm actually quite tempted to trade it in & buy a Slim.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 524
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Matt D wrote: »
    My 40GB fatty will be 3 this Christmas (was a present to myself :D ). It's already been repaired once, earlier this year (BD drive failure), so I'm actually quite tempted to trade it in & buy a Slim.

I was thinking of doing the same. I have got a launch 60gb model ( backwards compatible etc ) but upgraded the hard drive to 320 gb.

Not sure how I back up my files, what will I need to do? I am clueless.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You could use an external USB HDD, & just run the "Backup" option from within the XMB, so long as it has enough space for *everything* on it.

Or, you could just copy your saves to a USB memory stick thing, & re-download your DLC etc. on the new machine.
  • Options
    Flawed-TacticsFlawed-Tactics Posts: 3,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Matt D wrote: »

My slim is just over 12 month old and I'm getting frozen screens, seems to be when loading, mostly. I dunno what to think just now, when your drive went did you get freeze ups?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I get the odd freeze-up now & then: had one yesterday when I loaded Uncharted 2 for the first time since my original play-through last year.

When the drive went, it went "just like that"...Fine one day, but then the next time I used it...dead. Wouldn't read anything, DVDs or BDs. Had it repaired under the GAMECARE thing I took out when I bought the console (which expires this week).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    woohooo, replacement PS3 is with me. Just cant start it up cause daughter hogging the TV with Barbie. :(

I want to put my 250GB in it.

I'll start it up though to make sure it works first of all but....

Can I throw in the 250GB after this and start all my rebuild process or is it likely to complain that it needs the latest FW first ?? So in that case, maybe get it online with the original 40GB first ??

Its been a while since I had to do all this.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gillyallan wrote: »
    woohooo, replacement PS3 is with me. Just cant start it up cause daughter hogging the TV with Barbie. :(

I want to put my 250GB in it.

I'll start it up though to make sure it works first of all but....

Can I throw in the 250GB after this and start all my rebuild process or is it likely to complain that it needs the latest FW first ?? So in that case, maybe get it online with the original 40GB first ??

Its been a while since I had to do all this.

I upgraded the HDD with my Slim before putting it on for the first time it bitched that it needed the new FW but you were able to download it from the sony website, install it via the usb by inserting the usb and holding start and select i think until it was found it installed and then sorted it. Much better that way IMO than hooking it up installing then disconnecting and swapping HDDs.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ok, mine was fine.

Booted PS3 with 40GB and it was on FW 2.80 (weird they dont update them)

Anyway, updated it, turned it off and shoved 250GB in.

formatted and back in action.