Jehovah Witnesses on Christmas Eve

kookiethekatkookiethekat Posts: 2,867
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Do they believe in Christmas. I know it is a normal day for most people but I am running around trying to get the house clean ect...

Knock on the door, I only answered it because my daughter had just gone out and I thought she has forgotten something.

The first thing I said (after hello) was "I'm a Mormon so not really interested" then they started banging on about how Jesus wasn't born on Christmas day and thats it's a false holiday.

Spoilsports lol

Comments

• ianxianx Posts: 9,190
    Forum Member
    I used to have a work colleague who was a JW. He never attended the office Christmas do with us because he didn't celebrate Christmas. Not that our office dos were particularly religious occasions...
  • molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No they don't celebrate Christmas they don't celebrate birthdays either which always seems a bit miserable to me.
  • kookiethekatkookiethekat Posts: 2,867
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    molliepops wrote: »
    No they don't celebrate Christmas they don't celebrate birthdays either which always seems a bit miserable to me.

So they literally devote their whole life worshipping god.

Wow, imagne if it is the wrong religion lol.
  • cosmocosmo Posts: 26,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They were up and down my road earlier.

Like Dawn of the Dead with briefcases.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 300
    Forum Member
    So they literally devote their whole life worshipping god.

Wow, imagne if it is the wrong religion lol.

If there are 1,000 different religions in the world, then at least 999 of them must be based on a whole load of made-up rubbish.
  • kookiethekatkookiethekat Posts: 2,867
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cosmo wrote: »
    They were up and down my road earlier.

Like Dawn of the Dead with briefcases.

:D:D:D:D

That literally made me lol. I nearly lost my sandwich over the laptop :D
  • ClarkF1ClarkF1 Posts: 6,587
    Forum Member
    The first thing I said (after hello) was "I'm a Mormon so not really interested" then they started banging on about how Jesus wasn't born on Christmas day and thats it's a false holiday.

It was a bit of luck though wasn't it.

I reckon they must have called him Christ cause it was Christmas Day.
  • Shady123Shady123 Posts: 4,506
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a JW friend who doesn't celebrate Christmas or her birthday. Embarrassingly in year 7 (first year I and many others met her) a few of us brought in presesnts for her and she refused them. Fair enough. But none of us new she didn't celebrate her birthday either (some did but didn't think to tell us) so we threw a sort of mini party at school with cake, sweets, balloons, music just a small thing. She walked in, told us she doesn't celebrate her birthday and walked out. We felt like right numptys but nevertheless enjoyed the party :)
  • Shady123Shady123 Posts: 4,506
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :D:D:D:D

That literally made me lol. I nearly lost my sandwich over the laptop :D

Same here :D
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do they believe in Christmas. I know it is a normal day for most people but I am running around trying to get the house clean ect...

Knock on the door, I only answered it because my daughter had just gone out and I thought she has forgotten something.

Spoilsports lol

Somebody banged on my door a few years back and said "Stand up for Jesus", to which I replied, "Sit down for Christ's sake" ;)

They are a bit of a nuisance, I agree. As for when he was actually born, we'll probably never know. It's just a matter of choosing a date that all Christians can celebrate,
  • rickberickbe Posts: 613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    GreenMan67 wrote: »
    If there are 1,000 different religions in the world, then at least 999 of them must be based on a whole load of made-up rubbish.

How about this for an analogy:

It's like different operating systems for computers - Windows, Mac, Linux etc. Different appearance, interface, graphics and commands, but theyre based on the same principles and have same intention. Just a different way of getting there!

Think the JWs are right about Christmas and Christ's birthday. The Christians took over the winter festival for themselves. Didnt it used to be dedicated to a Roman God Saturnalia or something, and before that various Winter Solstice gods and celebrations.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 300
    Forum Member
    Jesus said 'I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes unto the Father but by Me'.
    So I guess Christians have to believe that no other religion will do ! :)
  • warleywitchwarleywitch Posts: 2,541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My son has just told me that the best thing to say to JH is...'I used to be a Jehovah's Witness' He says they're not allowed to talk to you then.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My son has just told me that the best thing to say to JH is...'I used to be a Jehovah's Witness' He says they're not allowed to talk to you then.

Well it's true the are told never to talk to ex-jehovah's, I'll have to try that next time the response could be amusing.
  • paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rickbe wrote: »
    Think the JWs are right about Christmas and Christ's birthday. The Christians took over the winter festival for themselves. Didnt it used to be dedicated to a Roman God Saturnalia or something, and before that various Winter Solstice gods and celebrations.

yup I believe the logic is that you shouldn't celebrate 'pagan' festivals, which is what Christmas originally was.

No idea what their problem with birthdays is though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    paulbrock wrote: »
    yup I believe the logic is that you shouldn't celebrate 'pagan' festivals, which is what Christmas originally was.

No idea what their problem with birthdays is though.

They don't celebrate Easter either and that's on the correct dates.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Our town has a local Jehovah that comes round the doors with her watchtower books called Betty . She's actually really nice and even though I don't believe in any of that religious stuff, I always invite her in and have a wee blether but it's more like a visitor than the usual Jehovah stuff because she knows everyone in town and all my mums family. she's never harsh or judgemental even though she knows I won't agree with her religious views and we usually have some pretty good discusions about god without it turning into a shouting match as so often happens when disscusing such things.
  • fleetfleet Posts: 11,574
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    scrappy555 wrote: »
    Our town has a local Jehovah that comes round the doors with her watchtower books called Betty . She's actually really nice and even though I don't believe in any of that religious stuff, I always invite her in and have a wee blether but it's more like a visitor than the usual Jehovah stuff because she knows everyone in town and all my mums family. she's never harsh or judgemental even though she knows I won't agree with her religious views and we usually have some pretty good discusions about god without it turning into a shouting match as so often happens when disscusing such things.

My husbands Nan used to do the same thing. She saw it as company, even though they knew she would never convert.

As to why they dont celebrate birthdays and easter:

http://www.watchtower.org/e/rq/article_11.htm
  • DoctorQuiDoctorQui Posts: 6,428
    Forum Member
    I have had them call on christmas morning for the past 5 years, I just don't answer anymore!

I'm gonna try the ex JH approach now tho, sounds promising!
  • paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fleet wrote: »
    My husbands Nan used to do the same thing. She saw it as company, even though they knew she would never convert.

cheers for that.

Bit vague though:
    The custom of celebrating birthdays comes from ancient false religions.

they could apply the same argument to any activity that took place before Jesus - "Oh, basket weaving, that's not what Christians do, it's from ancient false religions"
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

Spoilsports lol

It was just as likely to have been the 25th December as any other day.
  • Marcus BradshawMarcus Bradshaw Posts: 4,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Witnesses are a bunch of hypocrites.

They crap on about living the way the bible inented but then ostracise ex-witnesses, subjugate women and are greedy and dishonest in business.

Still, I suppose it's impossible to be a religious fundamentalist without being a hypocrite on some level.
  • BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SULLA wrote: »
    It was just as likely to have been the 25th December as any other day.

No, not really given the "evidence" in the bible.
  • CXC3000CXC3000 Posts: 10,258
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

• BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fleet wrote: »

A friends brother was recruited by the JoHos and he told me that they basically don't "celebrate" anything that isn't specifically mentioned as something jesus did in the bible.

Weddings are OK as jesus went to a wedding, but birthdays and christmas weren't mentioned