First class rail travel

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,285
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Anyone know the difference between first and standard class rail travel? Do you get free drinks or anything?

Comments

• BirthdayGirlBirthdayGirl Posts: 64,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone know the difference between first and standard class rail travel? Do you get free drinks or anything?

I booked a ticket from London to LIverpool last year and for only £5 extra I could get a first class ticket.

A guy came round with a trolley containing water, orange juice,, tea/coffee and crisps which were free.

Anything else I think you had to go to the Buffet car and pay :mad:
  • ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Depends which rail company, surely?

On a lot of trains, first class seats are bigger - they only have 3 seats across each carriage rather than 4.
  • EraserheadEraserhead Posts: 22,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You get a seat with a little square of white cloth on the headrest which says "First Class".

And evil looks from the standard class passengers all forced to stand.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You usually get the luxury of a seat - but that isn't always guaranteed.
  • EyeOfTheStormEyeOfTheStorm Posts: 1,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They charge the extra money to keep the chavs out.;)
  • PunkchickPunkchick Posts: 2,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On a normal commuter train not a lot, but on longer journeys like the one I did from London to Middlesbrough a few weeks ago I got a bigger seat with a table on it's own, free wifi, a laptop power socket, 3 course dinner, drinks (alcoholic and soft), snacks, tea/coffee, magazines and the use of the executive lounge in London. However if you opt for the cheap weekend upgrade you don't get most of this, just the nicer carriage and seat plus a snack.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    Depends on the train. For shorter journeys you get better, wider seats and more room, free drinks such as tea and coffee, and free snacks. Some give you vouchers for food you can take to the buffet car too if the train has one.

On larger trains with restaurant cars (rare these days though) you usually also get a free meal. Most companies have now axed the restaurant car though, but they will now serve meals at your seat in First Class usually instead.
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Locally, I have not seen anything different between first class and second class. Just empty seats!

Other train services provide you with a newspaper from their lounges and some sort of beverage on the train.

Some train services have larger tables and reclining seats and WiFi.
  • EmpiricalEmpirical Posts: 10,189
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It all depends on the company and the rolling stock available.

The single largest thing you really pay for with 1st is the right to not sit with all the poor people :D

The only other constant thing I've noticed is the little white handkerchiefs they put on the head rest.

Personally I would never bother its mostly aimed at business people who can claim it as an expense. That money goes into the coffers and overall it means slightly cheaper prices can be offered in std.

Just another business tax really.
  • BomoLadBomoLad Posts: 17,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm travelling first class next week. I'm expecting a complimentary hand job and a warm towel for my face.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Locally, I have not seen anything different between first class and second class. Just empty seats!

I occasionally use the First Class carriage from Cambridge to London if I need be sure of a seat, table and some quiet to prepare for a meeting. As long as you travel off peak the price difference isn't that bad - but you don't get any freebies at all.
  • Babe RainbowBabe Rainbow Posts: 34,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BomoLad wrote: »
    I'm travelling first class next week. I'm expecting a complimentary hand job and a warm towel for my face.

Do you usually pay for for that in standard then ?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No, but he has to do it for himself!!! :-)
  • Babe RainbowBabe Rainbow Posts: 34,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Handers wrote: »
    No, but he has to do it for himself!!! :-)

Well I suppose even strap hanging in the rush hour leaves one hand free :)
  • RussellIanRussellIan Posts: 12,034
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eraserhead wrote: »
    You get a seat with a little square of white cloth on the headrest which says "First Class".

Correct, as I observed when I 'innocently' (ie whilst pissed) boarded a first class carriage a few years ago on my way home from a night out in Cardiff. Incidentally, no-one came round to check whether or not there were any second-class interlopers.
  • EraserheadEraserhead Posts: 22,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No, but if you're lucky you'll get some random pervert rubbing himself against your backside while standing in the crowded gangway
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I suppose even strap hanging in the rush hour leaves one hand free :)

On a crowded tube, you can just improvise with the nearest thing available, so no hands needed at all.

So, first class, but without the seat.
  • late8late8 Posts: 7,175
    Forum Member
    I booked a ticket from London to LIverpool last year and for only £5 extra I could get a first class ticket.

A guy came round with a trolley containing water, orange juice,, tea/coffee and crisps which were free.

Anything else I think you had to go to the Buffet car and pay :mad:

bad luck.

On Virgin West Coast London to Glasgow you get Breakfast Lunch or Tea snacks included.

You get access to the Lounge in Euston Station to wait for your train too.
  • GaditanoGaditano Posts: 2,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Travelled on East Midlands Nottingham-London earlier this week First Class. Free tea or coffee, cake/biscuit, water/juice. Plus refills of same along the way. Some services (not ours) had free sandwiches. Train company website should reveal all.

And there are hardly ever any noisy kids!!!
  • Mark.Mark. Posts: 84,879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I travelled on East Coast first class and got complimentary sandwiches, crisps, cake and alcoholic drinks. The trolley came round 5 times between Dundee and London *hic*.

It was also a much more pleasant experience; far higher standard of people in first class.
  • deev1ne0nedeev1ne0ne Posts: 2,161
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BomoLad wrote: »

Yes, sir, please take a seat.

Wilma, our on-board morbidly obese frau, scarred with Rosacea, who is the result of some drunken grope-fest between siblings, will be a long to jerk you off shortly.
  • 21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,506
    Forum Member
    I think the idea of a class system on a train is just wrong.

These companies will happily see "standard" class passengers crushed into their five coaches, and let just one passenger who paid for a first class ticket occupy their carriage all to themselves?

How is that fair?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 392
    Forum Member
    Like others have said, depends on the journey.

I'll generally pay for the upgrade if it means getting more leg room (i'm very tall) and getting free wifi.
  • roland ratroland rat Posts: 13,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Like others have said, depends on the journey.

I'll generally pay for the upgrade if it means getting more leg room (i'm very tall) and getting free wifi.

Im the same, book my train ticket, to get me to manchester airport from glasgow

£40 all in second class, and on the day of my travel, upgrade to first class
  • roland ratroland rat Posts: 13,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Only problem I see is, everyone heading to some airport, and the train is full of suitcases, and hardly any room to put them