The John James Appreciation Thread (Part 13)

Comments

• Lindy_LoueLindy_Loue Posts: 9,874
    Forum Member
    Just like the Aldi's orange juice ad - yep - you can see the bits...:eek: :D

:D:D:D
    Forum Member
    Book Group Discussion

Sorry to be boring (or lazy :o :eek: ) but I really don't mind what we read, as long as it's not too long (am still ploughing through David Copperfield for my other book group)

Lindy xx
  • ellemayellemay Posts: 1,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ucra girl wrote: »
    I am glued to the Olympics as well.

Me too keeping my eye on Anthony Ogogo he's doing well i remember him from celeb hijack.

I sort of forget that celeb hijack was a different reality show they were all talented in their own right.x
  • ellemayellemay Posts: 1,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    augusta92 wrote: »
    evening all.....I too loved the book club discussions....

im quite happy to read something quite light.........but can i suggest ' The song of Achilles' which won a recent prize....was it the orange prize or something?

its not a book id usually choose to read, but i was browsing through it in the book shop this afternoon and it did look interesting. has anyone else read it?

I fancy that one too. x
  • ucra girlucra girl Posts: 19,741
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ellemay wrote: »
    Me too keeping my eye on Anthony Ogogo he's doing well i remember him from celeb hijack.

I sort of forget that celeb hijack was a different reality show they were all talented in their own right.x

That makes it my best series ever.As much as I love personality interactions on a TV show.I absolutely love ambitious young people.Alot of my life has centred around mentoring and supporting young people in and out of my family realise their dreams.Hijack housemates were my ultimate housemates.
  • nyannienyannie Posts: 8,536
    Forum Member
    Morning all

Incredible day yesterday - 4 gold medals. Very impressive. Have to agree with ucra. I really admire these young people who work so hard and sacrifice friends and family to achieve their goals. Somehow it makes wannabes irrelevant. Am I making sense here?

Lena - hope your kitchen gets sorted. Unlike Linda, we had our kitchen and guest bathroom done by professionals and we didn't have any problems (knock on wood).

Wonder where John is these days? I guess everything has gone quiet.

Anyway, I'm off to catch the bus. Hopefully back later.
  • muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good morning. Off to take Laura to playscheme - involved 2 buses, I may be some time :D
  • augusta92augusta92 Posts: 8,677
    Forum Member
    muggins14 wrote: »
    Good morning. Off to take Laura to playscheme - involved 2 buses, I may be some time :D

talking of buses....

we have a level crossing near us, with an underpass for cars next to it.......

yesterday the whole crossing was blocked all day......becasue a double decker bus had tried to drive under the underpass !!

luckily no one was on the bus....but the sight of a double decker bus with its entire upper deck pushed back was hilarious....and today its splashed across all the local papers..:D:p:D
  • augusta92augusta92 Posts: 8,677
    Forum Member
    Lena...................when is it your birthday?

was it sometime around this week as well.??? Cos Nyannie was getting busy with the birthday cakes?

I should have written a proper list last year.......:(..
    Forum Member
    nyannie wrote: »
    Morning all

Incredible day yesterday - 4 gold medals. Very impressive. Have to agree with ucra. I really admire these young people who work so hard and sacrifice friends and family to achieve their goals. Somehow it makes wannabes irrelevant. Am I making sense here?

Anyway, I'm off to catch the bus. Hopefully back later.

Oh, I agree. Sometime last night I saw a trailer for the X Factor and I really felt, well, what have those kids done, compared to Olympians? And are their values in any way comparable (as a group, obviously not every individual is the same) ??

Not sure I can cope with all the sob stories / soap opera that goes with that kind of reality show. Actually I think they were running out of steam already, before we had the Olympics.

On the other hand, my OH says give it a week, and we'll all be back to what passes for normal :cry: He doesn't think there'll be a lasting legacy in terms of lifestyle, values (family, friends, dedication etc) :( Oh, I hope he's wrong........:cool:
    Forum Member
    Interesting thread that compares other sports to football ( and I speak as a fan :o :eek:)

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1712474&page=2
    Forum Member
    And another intersting discussion

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1712582&page=2

Now I'm back to actually watching the coverage :D:D:D
    Forum Member
    Lindy_Loue wrote: »
    And another intersting discussion

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1712582&page=2

Now I'm back to actually watching the coverage :D:D:D

Thanks for the interesting link Lindy. I have to agree with you about X-factor. Have made a resolution not to watch any more reality shows other than Strictly - and maybe DOI. Been watching the sailing since I came in - can you believe it? Not a spectator sport but it is relaxing watching lots of sails and water. . .

I've got The Song of Achilles on the List. Will 'publish' the recommendations in another week or so and we can choose what we want to read.

Not sure any of you want to know but I would like to recommend Eudora Welty for any of you who like reading about the American South in the early 20th century. Went to Waterstones today and there was a title I hadn't read. Yipee.

Well, best go and wash the kitchen and utility room floors. I've had such a nice morning need to do something. . .
  • muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Talking of the X Factor - just saw a tweet saying it's back on Saturday the whatever, in between Ant & Dec's Red and Black - I tweeted back that that will make Saturdays a DVD day from now on! I hate it when the main channels stick so much 'light entertainment' on that it just puts you off watching at all. Moan moan :D
    Forum Member
    Talking of the X Factor - just saw a tweet saying it's back on Saturday the whatever, in between Ant & Dec's Red and Black - I tweeted back that that will make Saturdays a DVD day from now on! I hate it when the main channels stick so much 'light entertainment' on that it just puts you off watching at all. Moan moan :D

I find it's worthwhile looking at the schedules quite carefully - there are some good things on BBC4, BBC2, Sky Atlantic, etc. I will be interested to note how long it takes me to get back into football, too :p:D

Have watched some DVDs recently but find it quite hard to commit to the length of them......:o
    Forum Member
    w

Have to say Muggins, I agree with you. We, like Lindy, do check the schedules carefully - BBC4, More4 and ITV3 have some very interesting programs. We also record as much as we can and watch them when TV is dire. Believe it or not we sometimes turn off the TV and listen to the radio and sometimes even play games!!! Guess we are peculiar. . . or in our dotage!
    Forum Member
    w

Have to say Muggins, I agree with you. We, like Lindy, do check the schedules carefully - BBC4, More4 and ITV3 have some very interesting programs. We also record as much as we can and watch them when TV is dire. Believe it or not we sometimes turn off the TV and listen to the radio and sometimes even play games!!! Guess we are peculiar. . . or in our dotage!

Hey, steady on there nyannie! You don't want to overdo it :eek: :p
  • bbloverbblover Posts: 41,663
    Forum Member
    I love the X-Factor:oWill be looking forward to watching it again:D

John has gone MIA yet again,he's like a spy lol:p

Old pics,thanks to Cheeky:)

6pbvvn.jpg
  • GiddykipperGiddykipper Posts: 426
    Forum Member
    w

FIFA? :D

I don't watch all that much TV - but I'm glued to Olympics. The last time I was spending so much time as a couch potato was in the last half of BB11. Can't remember why it hooked me...:o
  • GiddykipperGiddykipper Posts: 426
    Forum Member
    bblover wrote: »
    I love the X-Factor:oWill be looking forward to watching it again:D

John has gone MIA yet again,he's like a spy lol:p

Old pics,thanks to Cheeky:)

6pbvvn.jpg

Awww - John really loved that puppet! :)
    Forum Member
    Morning all

Happy Birthday dear Lena, Happy Birthday to you. . . .

Hope you have a lovely day and spoil yourself.

Have a very happy day

Lots of Love

Axxx
    Forum Member
    Lindy_Loue wrote: »
    Hey, steady on there nyannie! You don't want to overdo it :eek: :p

By games I meant scrabble, patience etc - what did you think I meant Lindy?
    Forum Member
    Morning all -

Thanks CrazyChick for the picture - I'd almost forgotten about the puppets.

How are we all today? Off to London so best keep this short.

John is indeed MIA - wonder how long it will be before we hear from him again.

Have a good day everyone. . .
  • bbloverbblover Posts: 41,663
    Forum Member
    Happy Birthday dear Lena,have a fantastic day with your dear ones:)xxx
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :D:p:D HAPPY BIRTHDAY LENA :D:p:D

I hope you have a great day with your family :)
This discussion has been closed.