Options

Eurovision UK - Time for a new approach

Comments

• Options
    vauxhall1964vauxhall1964 Posts: 10,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    even if we had a BOOM BANG A BANG song.. like the early eurovision , we still would get nowhere.. it is not about the song, as we all know.. we are not popular anymore.. compared to when we had friends in europe.

why do you - or anyone else - even believe this? Germany and the UK are the most popular countries in Europe in surveys..here's just one

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/8365025/Britain-beaten-by-Germany-in-popularity-contest.html

These lame excuses are pathetic. We do badly because the BBC send naff, outdated flops to Eurovision. End of. By the way the fact you see sending a BOOM BANG A BANG song is the answer suggests you shouldn't be let out on your own.
  • Options
    oathyoathy Posts: 32,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    why do you - or anyone else - even believe this? Germany and the UK are the most popular countries in Europe in surveys..here's just one

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/8365025/Britain-beaten-by-Germany-in-popularity-contest.html

These lame excuses are pathetic. We do badly because the BBC send naff, outdated flops to Eurovision. End of. By the way the fact you see sending a BOOM BANG A BANG song is the answer suggests you shouldn't be let out on your own.

totally agree on the Comments about the BBC. Made worse earlier in the week when Mills made those comments about how other countries would pick up on the lack of support over here. The entire process is now drenched in Arrogance I just hope the very least they change the selection process get new people in at the very least. The best would be either a selection show (no joke acts welcome) and taking it seriously but the chances of that are almost Nil.

They throw money at The Voice for winners never heard again yet don't mind us being humiliated at Eurovision infront of hundreds of millions of people.
  • Options
    vauxhall1964vauxhall1964 Posts: 10,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    oathy wrote: »
    totally agree on the Comments about the BBC. Made worse earlier in the week when Mills made those comments about how other countries would pick up on the lack of support over here. The entire process is now drenched in Arrogance I just hope the very least they change the selection process get new people in at the very least. The best would be either a selection show (no joke acts welcome) and taking it seriously but the chances of that are almost Nil.

They throw money at The Voice for winners never heard again yet don't mind us being humiliated at Eurovision infront of hundreds of millions of people.

I'd not heard that but it chimes with Norton's outburst on his radio show about how (incredibly) it's the fans fault if our song isn't any good because the fans should've submitted something better to the BBC! It's part of BBC culture to never admit they made a mistake, never admit they need outside help and never take responsibility when they screw up. This is why I'm so pessimistic about them suddenly, after 15 years of flops, suddenly deciding to radically change direction or listen to criticism. They just sit in their bunker blaming everyone but themselves and hoping to ride it out until next year.
  • Options
    bass55bass55 Posts: 18,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Even though the BBC clearly don't want to risk winning Eurovision, I wish we could at least submit entries we can be proud of. Can we really say Electro Velvet is a true representation of the UK's rich and diverse music industry? It can't be that hard to find a decent song, something that bears some resemblance to music currently in the charts, so that we can save ourselves the embarrassment of finishing in the bottom five again. These days, finishing on the left hand side of the score board is an achievement for the UK.

Something has got to change NOW - for the 2016 selection - for us to have any chance of doing well in the contest again. We need to rebuild our Eurovision reputation, and that's going to take years of hard work. Molly in 2014 was absolutely a step in the right direction, but the BBC clearly couldn't be bothered to put the effort in again and went back to same, tired format which has plagued us for 15 years.
  • Options
    FrankieFixerFrankieFixer Posts: 11,530
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you were Will Young or Olly Murs or an up and coming artist would you touch eurovision? Chances are you would finish behind a Balkan state act that were banging pots and pans.
  • Options
    ValWValW Posts: 1,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When Germany won with Satellite their competition was as much about voting for the song as the singer. It ended up with 2 very different versions of the song in the final selection. That was obviously a winning strategy so why couldn't we do something similar here? Start with a traditional kind of Voice/X Factor-style search for, say, 5 acts. Then let them loose on a shortlist of songs for the second part of the competition. Have them come up with their own interpretations, even let different acts do the same song so there's real rivalry building up. Then the winning songs of those heats battle it out in the final, even if it means an act having more than one song. That way I think we'd choose an entry that was a combination of a good act and a good song, instead of one element being stronger than the other.

Of course all that's academic if there's no will at the BBC to take it more seriously. Yet there's no arguing Melodifestivalen consistently produces high quality entries and there are plenty of lessons to be learned from it if we want to catch up with Sweden's increasing dominance.
  • Options
    Whitehouse95Whitehouse95 Posts: 2,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you were Will Young or Olly Murs or an up and coming artist would you touch eurovision? Chances are you would finish behind a Balkan state act that were banging pots and pans.

I thought the top six were all decent enough entries this year, although I still can't take to Loic's voice.

Send Berverly Knight, she's said in the past that she loves to watch the competition. I hope that she would agree to take part if approached.
  • Options
    Edwin OkliEdwin Okli Posts: 4,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you're Will Young, you can't even get a chart hit nowadays. He doesn't need a poisoned chalice to lose his career.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Send Berverly Knight, she's said in the past that she loves to watch the competition. I hope that she would agree to take part if approached.

The BBC would give their right arm for somebody the calibre of Beverley Knight to represent us at Eurovision these days.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bass55 wrote: »
    The BBC would give their right arm for somebody the calibre of Beverley Knight to represent us at Eurovision these days.

Absolutely, but surely there must be someone who is reasonably well-known, current and has talent who would be up for it? I honestly don't believe that Electro Velvet were the best act that the BBC were approached by.
  • Options
    FiercelyHipFiercelyHip Posts: 3,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's been shown if you send a modern sounding, contemporary song, you do well. It's not even about Eurovision placing but more so about how well you could do off the back of entering the contest. Since 2012 it's highlighted you send something that matches the charts around Europe you breakthrough into other countries. The BBC seemed to weirdly get this idea in the mid 90s, yet really struggle to grasp the concept now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Edwin Okli wrote: »
    If you're Will Young, you can't even get a chart hit nowadays. He doesn't need a poisoned chalice to lose his career.

Which tells you how lowly it is thought of that a has-been has given it the knock back.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Absolutely, but surely there must be someone who is reasonably well-known, current and has talent who would be up for it? I honestly don't believe that Electro Velvet were the best act that the BBC were approached by.

What talented and respected artist would want to put themselves and their career up for that sort of ridicule? Has-beens like Blue or other skint manbands maybe but nobody with any credibility would touch it. Even winning it wouldn't be a major feather in your cap given it is viewed as a joke.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What talented and respected artist would want to put themselves and their career up for that sort of ridicule? Has-beens like Blue or other skint manbands maybe but nobody with any credibility would touch it. Even winning it wouldn't be a major feather in your cap given it is viewed as a joke.

Wasn't there a rumour that Katie Melua approached the BBC a few years back? Perhaps somebody could clarify this for me.
  • Options
    EuroFoxiEuroFoxi Posts: 12,405
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wasn't there a rumour that Katie Melua approached the BBC a few years back? Perhaps somebody could clarify this for me.

She wanted to represent us in 2010 with her track 'The Flood' and also, rumour has it, Pixie Lott was lined up to do the 2012 contest before Katie Taylor took against the idea and then chose Engelbert at last minute instead. So that's two credible artists in the past 5 years.
  • Options
    Robbo19Robbo19 Posts: 296
    Forum Member
    All the BBC needs to do is stop choosing the act themselves, they could relaunch Eurovision: Your Country Needs You and let the public decide who reperesents the UK at the ESC, then there would be no complaints about the act/song as we would have chosen it and have ourselves to blame if it goes wrong.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Robbo19 wrote: »
    All the BBC needs to do is stop choosing the act themselves, they could relaunch Eurovision: Your Country Needs You and let the public decide who reperesents the UK at the ESC, then there would be no complaints about the act/song as we would have chosen it and have ourselves to blame if it goes wrong.

The problem with YCNY was that the BBC gave the public a choice between 5 or 6 crappy acts, so we were doomed whatever we chose. The whole selection process needs a complete rethink.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The problem with YCNY was that the BBC gave the public a choice between 5 or 6 crappy acts, so we were doomed whatever we chose. The whole selection process needs a complete rethink.

I agree with that. 2010 was especially atrocious.
  • Options
    thmsthms Posts: 61,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    how is this for a novel approach..

the bbc got it right and the fans got it wrong

had a look at eurovision tv's 'most popular' videos

blue are ranked #39 and electro velvet are the next uk act at #60

a great achievement considering there are 541 videos
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    thms wrote: »
    how is this for a novel approach..

the bbc got it right and the fans got it wrong

had a look at eurovision tv's 'most popular' videos

blue are ranked #39 and electro velvet are the next uk act at #60

a great achievement considering there are 541 videos

The BBC got it right? 25th place and 5 points?

I'd hate to see them get it wrong! :D
  • Options
    phill363phill363 Posts: 24,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

YCNY 2009 was probably one of are best NF they really had a winning formula that could be repeated and The ratings where decent considering it was done on the cheap too, then in 2010 they tried to repeat the success but this time it was rushed at the last minute with a 99p budget and a song written on some used bog roll by a man who obviously wanted to fail spectacularly on purpose. You just know that Esma forgot the words on purpose so she didn't win
  • Options
    EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    phill363 wrote: »
    YCNY 2009 was probably one of are best NF they really had a winning formula that could be repeated and The ratings where decent considering it was done on the cheap too, then in 2010 they tried to repeat the success but this time it was rushed at the last minute with a 99p budget and a song written on some used bog roll by a man who obviously wanted to fail spectacularly on purpose. You just know that Esma forgot the words on purpose so she didn't win

I think that was the year someone e-mailed the BBC in early February and asked them for any updates and they replied that they were still trying to decide the format
  • Options
    LongBallPleaseLongBallPlease Posts: 2,011
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I honestly think a melfest clone would help us a lot, I'd be interested in hearing some of the songs the BBC decided not to send to Vienna
  • Options
    phill363phill363 Posts: 24,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eurostar wrote: »
    I think that was the year someone e-mailed the BBC in early February and asked them for any updates and they replied that they were still trying to decide the format

They had basically forgot about having to select the entry and had to rush something together
  • Options
    ChristmasCakeChristmasCake Posts: 26,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They need to get rid of our jury who are basically out of touch.